The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by constantmeowage
Shortening 'de'/dis-article-ing 'de' happens when there's a quantity next to it - '500 grammes DE pommes' MAIS 'J'ai besoin des pommes'. :/ But I've seen 'd'autres' in other places as well which confuses me greatly :frown:

It would actually be "J'ai besoin de pommes" since the indefinite article is cancelled out by the fact that "avoir besoin" takes the preposition "de". The exception would be if you gave more information which delimited these apples to make them definite: "J'ai besoin des pommes que je vous ai données"

So with "d'autres" vs "des autres","d'autres" is an indefinite expression which is not accompanied by the indefinite article "des" e.g. "J'en ai vu d'autres", and "D'autres auraient réagi différemment". "Des autres" is only used when you combine the presposition "de" and the definite article "les" (de+ les autres = des autres) e.g. "Elle parlait des autres projets qu'elle dirige."

Hope that helped :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm a French GCSE student and I'm learning Japanese. :biggrin: Do I count?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vionar
Doing Spanish GCSE then?

No :lol:
Reply 363
Original post by L'Evil Fish
No :lol:

Why then?
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
It would actually be "J'ai besoin de pommes" since the indefinite article is cancelled out by the fact that "avoir besoin" takes the preposition "de". The exception would be if you gave more information which delimited these apples to make them definite: "J'ai besoin des pommes que je vous ai données"

So with "d'autres" vs "des autres","d'autres" is an indefinite expression which is not accompanied by the indefinite article "des" e.g. "J'en ai vu d'autres", and "D'autres auraient réagi différemment". "Des autres" is only used when you combine the presposition "de" and the definite article "les" (de+ les autres = des autres) e.g. "Elle parlait des autres projets qu'elle dirige."

Hope that helped :smile:

>.< Oh for goodness sake. >.< I knew that besoin de thing as well. I'm actually melting. :frown: Thanks for sorting me out, Ho Chi Minh. :smile: Now I definitely feel uneasy about my exam coming up... Thanks for clearing up d/des autres, I've never understood that until now. :smile:
Original post by MangoFreak
Hallo! Ich kann auch Deutsch, aber nicht * to B2, * B1 vielleicht. Die Andere wird hier mit dir Französisch sprechen. Ich finde romanischen Sprachen schwer :tongue:

Also ich moechte auch eines Tages Russisch sprechen koennen, da es mir sehr herausfordernd scheint :cool:
Original post by Vionar
Why then?

Might go to Spain in between exams:colondollar:
Reply 367
Might go to Spain in between exams:colondollar:

Ah, I'm quite used to people not speaking a word of their holiday destination's language, so it was a bit of a surprise!
Original post by Vionar
Ah, I'm quite used to people not speaking a word of their holiday destination's language, so it was a bit of a surprise!

May as well try :tongue: even if I'm not going it's some motivation :0
Reply 369
Original post by Vionar
Ooh, why, if you don't mind me asking? Also, what made you chose Danish, again, if you don't mind me asking?

I started dabbling in Danish when I was on my year abroad in Germany in Schleswig-Holstein (pretty close to Denmark and it has some significant history relating to Denmark). I studied German and Spanish at uni and had French at A-level as well. I knew a few Danes because I had played World of Warcraft and the English-speaking servers are full of them. :tongue: Since then I decided to meet up with one particular person I knew, who is now my fiancé and who I emigrated to Denmark to live with. :tongue:

I want to study Medicine here so I have to pass an exam called Studieprøven, which is level C1. You need to pass to study anything in Danish but you need to get 7 or higher (the scale goes 0, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12 with 0 being a fail) in each of listening, reading, speaking, writing to study Medicine. I don't expect to get anywhere near 7 in speaking or writing this time round (if I even pass) but as long as I pass I can get on with doing the Danish equivalent of AS Chemistry and AS Physics, which I need to pass to tick the final boxes on my application.

If you have more questions I'm happy to answer. :smile:
Reply 370
May as well try :tongue: even if I'm not going it's some motivation :0

It can't do any harm!

Original post by Ronove
I started dabbling in Danish when I was on my year abroad in Germany in Schleswig-Holstein (pretty close to Denmark and it has some significant history relating to Denmark). I studied German and Spanish at uni and had French at A-level as well. I knew a few Danes because I had played World of Warcraft and the English-speaking servers are full of them. :tongue: Since then I decided to meet up with one particular person I knew, who is now my fiancé and who I emigrated to Denmark to live with. :tongue:

I want to study Medicine here so I have to pass an exam called Studieprøven, which is level C1. You need to pass to study anything in Danish but you need to get 7 or higher (the scale goes 0, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12 with 0 being a fail) in each of listening, reading, speaking, writing to study Medicine. I don't expect to get anywhere ,near 7 in speaking or writing this time round (if I even pass) but as long as I pass I can get on with doing the Danish equivalent of AS Chemistry and AS Physics, which I need to pass to tick the final boxes on my application.

If you have more questions I'm happy to answer. :smile:

Ah, that's really cool, and it's quite a nice story!

Well good luck with it!

I feel bad, you writing out these long explanations, and there's just me with one line responses, sorry! Be warned, I probably will have to track you down and ask more questions sometime, I've been in awe at Scandinavia in general, and I would like to go there some day (though I have been to Stockholm once).
Puedo conjugo * many tenses in * l'espagnol! :biggrin:

Cependant, je n'ai pas un beaucoup de vocabulaire utiliser :frown:

Did you just say "espagnol"? :mmm:

That sounds like a pasta dish :colonhash:

French :moon:
(edited 11 years ago)
Did you just say "espagnol"? :mmm:

That sounds like a pasta dish :colonhash:

French :moon:

:yep:

:lol: it probably is...
Reply 374

I'm not seeing an 'ñ' in there!
Reply 375
I'm trying to learn Urdu but I've been only been at it 2 weeks and can't write anything in it yet.
Original post by Vionar
I'm not seeing an 'ñ' in there!

That's because none was required :holmes:
Reply 377
That's because none was required :holmes:

In Spanish isn't it spelt 'español'? If not, oops!
Reply 378
Original post by Vionar
In Spanish isn't it spelt 'español'? If not, oops!

He was speaking French. :wink:
J'ai mangé trop de chocolat. Maintenent j'ai soif! Et j'ai aussi trop de devoirs à faire!

Latest

Trending

Trending