The Student Room Group

Ao3 and Ao4 confusion?

Hey guys, I'm doing AS English Lit with OCR, F661/01 Poetry and Prose 1800-1945 and it's on the 17th May! :eek:

I don't really get Ao3/Ao4 - what's the difference? I have quotes from critics on Yeats from my teacher; for example

'It could be a poem for children but it has an adult darkness' - Greening (she told us that was Ao3)

and then I have 'The ambivalence at the heart of things...is discovered' - Unterecker (she told us that was Ao4)

They're both critics' quotes but I don't get why one is Ao3 and the other Ao4 :confused:

Can anyone please explain, I'm so confused? Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I'm on OCR too - done the January exam and got an A, what texts are you studying?

According to the book the handbook my teacher made for us..

AO3 - 'explore connections and comparisons between different literary texts, informed by interpretations of other readers'
In other words compare/contrast, express your own opinion whilst comparing it to someone else's (ideally a critic)

AO4 - 'demonstrate understanding of the significance and influence of the contexts in which literary texts are written and recieved'
Basically your contextual knowledge is AO4 - context of the author/book is what you're marked on here

I can't really answer why she said one is AO3 and the other AO4, my teacher told us any critical quote is AO3...

Why don't you ask your teacher? She'll be able to inform you better than I will :P
Reply 2
Yep, A03 is all about critical interpretations, looking at what critics have said about a text, and also reader (or audience, if it's a play) response. You can also show AO3 by referencing other texts/authors etc around at the time, or that are similar in genre etc. A04 is context. You'll find that quite a bit of the time, these will overlap when you're writing your essay.

I don't understand why she said that was AO4 either, that's AO3...
Reply 3
Original post by Aa'Ishah
Yep, A03 is all about critical interpretations, looking at what critics have said about a text, and also reader (or audience, if it's a play) response. You can also show AO3 by referencing other texts/authors etc around at the time, or that are similar in genre etc. A04 is context. You'll find that quite a bit of the time, these will overlap when you're writing your essay.

I don't understand why she said that was AO4 either, that's AO3...

Thanks! Was getting a bit confused before:colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by Zoelingua
I'm on OCR too - done the January exam and got an A, what texts are you studying?

According to the book the handbook my teacher made for us..

AO3 - 'explore connections and comparisons between different literary texts, informed by interpretations of other readers'
In other words compare/contrast, express your own opinion whilst comparing it to someone else's (ideally a critic)

AO4 - 'demonstrate understanding of the significance and influence of the contexts in which literary texts are written and recieved'
Basically your contextual knowledge is AO4 - context of the author/book is what you're marked on here

I can't really answer why she said one is AO3 and the other AO4, my teacher told us any critical quote is AO3...

Why don't you ask your teacher? She'll be able to inform you better than I will :P

Thank you :biggrin: My teacher never really explained the differences in detail :s-smilie: Well done! I'm stressing out about this exam :eek: I'm studying Yeats and Frankenstein - what did you do?
Reply 5
Original post by brightnails
Thanks! Was getting a bit confused before:colondollar:

Haha, no worries! We had it drilled into us last year. :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you :biggrin: My teacher never really explained the differences in detail :s-smilie: Well done! I'm stressing out about this exam :eek: I'm studying Yeats and Frankenstein - what did you do?

You're welcome :biggrin:
Don't stress - I'm sure you'll do fine!

Sounds good! We studied Jane Eyre and Emily Dickinson. Hated both when I started, but eventually got into them...

How's revision going?
Reply 7
Original post by Zoelingua
You're welcome :biggrin:
Don't stress - I'm sure you'll do fine!

Sounds good! We studied Jane Eyre and Emily Dickinson. Hated both when I started, but eventually got into them...

How's revision going?

Yeah, I'm not too fond of Yeats and hated Frankenstein at the start but I'm in love with it now! Revision's awful, feel really under-prepared :O haha, I think I'm worse at the Yeats questions.
Hey guys, I'm doing AS English Lit with OCR, F661/01 Poetry and Prose 1800-1945 and it's on the 17th May! :eek:

I don't really get Ao3/Ao4 - what's the difference? I have quotes from critics on Yeats from my teacher; for example

'It could be a poem for children but it has an adult darkness' - Greening (she told us that was Ao3)

and then I have 'The ambivalence at the heart of things...is discovered' - Unterecker (she told us that was Ao4)

They're both critics' quotes but I don't get why one is Ao3 and the other Ao4 :confused:

Can anyone please explain, I'm so confused? Thank you :smile:

i've got this exam this year and i'm 99% sure i'm gonna fail cos coursework of AO4 and yeats is so hard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending