The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NaomiASuts
Is anyone else sitting this, Unit 1 on the 14th and Unit 2 on the 22nd?

im doing for unit 1- option D Russia in revolution and Stalin's Russia e.g Russia 1881-1953

and for unit 2 option E - Britain in the 20th Century Consensus an Conflict e.g Britain 1945-1990

I'm doing the same unit 1 topics as you, I was looking through past papers and some of the questions are so broad and confusing! :frown:
Reply 2

im doing for unit 1- option D Russia in revolution and Stalin's Russia e.g Russia 1881-1953

and for unit 2 option E - Britain in the 20th Century Consensus an Conflict e.g Britain 1945-1990

Resitting U1: Civil Rights and Vietnam and Korea, as I got a C when expecting an A.

Also doing U2: Crimea, Boer and WW1.
Reply 3
Original post by Lucy96
I'm doing the same unit 1 topics as you, I was looking through past papers and some of the questions are so broad and confusing! :frown:

I know! Sometimes the questions are so specific then sometimes really broad. The markschemes are also vague sometimes as well... I suppose the thing about them being broad is you have more you can write about. I was planning on going through and planning all the past papers at some points though :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Faust
Resitting U1: Civil Rights and Vietnam and Korea, as I got a C when expecting an A.

Also doing U2: Crimea, Boer and WW1.

Wish I was doing civil rights as well- its such a interesting topic. That's the thing I worry about History- it's so subjective- I could think I've done really well and get a low grade (not like a C, a Cs good :smile:).
Reply 5

Oh cool I'm doing for Unit 1 - Russia in Revolution, and Pursuit for Equality (civil rights in america)
and Unit 2 - The Changing position of women (resit), got a C this Jan
Reply 6
Wish I was doing civil rights as well- its such a interesting topic. That's the thing I worry about History- it's so subjective- I could think I've done really well and get a low grade (not like a C, a Cs good :smile:).

At the moment I think I enjoy Vietnam and Korea - warfare is just so exciting.

The problem is, is that all the practice exams I was doing achieved an A, I revised on it more than any other subject and to see that C was just disappointing Ah well, try and try again.
Reply 7
Hey guys!

Lol I did the Russian paper, got a C at first but after resitting I got an A (56/60) :biggrin:
First time round I only like made notes from the text book, didn't really do past questions except for some we did in class. Second time round I re-learned everything in detail and then planned past paper questions then did loads and got a few marked. I would say the key things would be to have specific knowledge and examples - also be extremely familiar with the exam questions (many themes are reoccurring throughout the papers) and essay structure is really important. The paper usually has like 2 broad questions and 2 specific questions (If I remember correctly)
If anyone wants more specific help on this paper, feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
does anyone know the exam question for the civil rights January 2013??
Reply 9
Original post by R_94
Hey guys!

Lol I did the Russian paper, got a C at first but after resitting I got an A (56/60) :biggrin:
First time round I only like made notes from the text book, didn't really do past questions except for some we did in class. Second time round I re-learned everything in detail and then planned past paper questions then did loads and got a few marked. I would say the key things would be to have specific knowledge and examples - also be extremely familiar with the exam questions (many themes are reoccurring throughout the papers) and essay structure is really important. The paper usually has like 2 broad questions and 2 specific questions (If I remember correctly)
If anyone wants more specific help on this paper, feel free to ask :smile:

May I ask how you structure your questions? I'm doing russia and civil rights on the 14th and in class papers I've only pushed a C, I usually have two sides of the argument as my basis but then analysing the extent/importance/impact of an event, addressing usually how far in the conclusion whilst using detailed examples, but I usually get 20/30
Reply 10
Original post by Robbie242
May I ask how you structure your questions? I'm doing russia and civil rights on the 14th and in class papers I've only pushed a C, I usually have two sides of the argument as my basis but then analysing the extent/importance/impact of an event, addressing usually how far in the conclusion whilst using detailed examples, but I usually get 20/30

I would say you need to analyse the importance and make an evaluative judgement at the end of each paragraph making sure you link back to the question. Detailed examples are good and each paragraph should be clear and concise addressing one factor. Hour this helps. Structure is the hardest to get the hang of but if you read simple answers and get your teacher to go through one of your essays with you hopefully you'll get the hang of it.

I'm doing Option E for Unit 1: unification of Italy and unification of Germany
Unit 2: Changing position of women (option C)

I've absolutely loved Unit 1, it's really really interesting! In stark contrast, Unit 2 is booooring :/ How are you finding Russia? :smile:

And if you don't mind me adding, use quotes in your essay aswell to make your argument a lot stronger :smile: Like what have leaders said about a particular treaty perhaps, and historiography (what historians have said about the event that occured etc...). It shows wider understanding :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by justanotherindigo
And if you don't mind me adding, use quotes in your essay aswell to make your argument a lot stronger :smile: Like what have leaders said about a particular treaty perhaps, and historiography (what historians have said about the event that occured etc...). It shows wider understanding :smile:
Ahh yes the one thing I've never bothered with, noting down historians claims, well I'll find one or two quotes for each section next time, I never knew you could use modern historians as sources
Reply 14
Original post by justanotherindigo
I'm doing Option E for Unit 1: unification of Italy and unification of Germany
Unit 2: Changing position of women (option C)

I've absolutely loved Unit 1, it's really really interesting! In stark contrast, Unit 2 is booooring :/ How are you finding Russia? :smile:

I'm a big fan of unit 1 too, I mean compared to Unit 2, to say a lot more is happening is a bit of a understatement. The characters and personalities involved in Russia are the most interesting for me personally, there just so diverse compared to Britain where sometimes the only distinguishable feature of a person is their moustache. The content is much more interesting but the essays are trickier than unit two because I can't hide behind sources XD I mean, the courses practically plan your essay for you... Can't really ask for much more than that.
I'm doin the Henry unit and civil rights and tsarism (CBa to put the full thing in )
Is anyone doing Luther and witches for Unit 1?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Ahh yes the one thing I've never bothered with, noting down historians claims, well I'll find one or two quotes for each section next time, I never knew you could use modern historians as sources

Yep you can! :biggrin: It will reinforce your arguments so much more :smile:

I'm a big fan of unit 1 too, I mean compared to Unit 2, to say a lot more is happening is a bit of a understatement. The characters and personalities involved in Russia are the most interesting for me personally, there just so diverse compared to Britain where sometimes the only distinguishable feature of a person is their moustache. The content is much more interesting but the essays are trickier than unit two because I can't hide behind sources XD I mean, the courses practically plan your essay for you... Can't really ask for much more than that.

Yes! It's incredible :biggrin: Ahaa that is actually true :lol: But the sources can be so dodgy sometimes especially in the textbook :redface: My friend does the exact same topics as you, and she told me that Russia is really really loooong haha, but if it's interesting then it keeps you engaged! The essays I actually enjoy (pretty weird of me :tongue:) because you have the opportunity to argue :biggrin:
Reply 18

I am sitting both these exams and doing all the exact same units as you, which topics are you predicting will come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

Hi people, I'm doing unit 1- option D Russia in revolution and Stalin's Russia e.g Russia 1881-1953 aswell
but for unit 2, im doing Poverty, Public Health, and growth of government in Britain 1830 - 75
Anyone else doing the same? I'm finding Unit 2 ok...but the Unit 1 Russia is
killing me! I'm finding it really hard to revise for it and remember the mass of content. :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending