The Student Room Group

Whats harder M2 or S3? ( Edexcel)

I have to do 1 of the 2, which one is easiest?
Reply 1
Whichever one you enjoy most, i honestly couldn't stay awake in any stats lesson regardless of difficulty so i would choose mechanics but whatever floats your boat. Obviously depending on exam board though, S3 is probably seen as easier.
Reply 2
Well i find stats easier, but I'm not TOO bad at mechanics. I was just wondering if there is a significant difference, in terms on difficulty, between them.
Reply 3
Original post by 3.1415927
Well i find stats easier, but I'm not TOO bad at mechanics. I was just wondering if there is a significant difference, in terms on difficulty, between them.

Define difficult I guess, Mechanics is easier if you do physics, and you like that kind of thing. Personally I find stats unbearably dull and consequently find it difficult to focus :smile:
Reply 4
Personally, since I've spent statistics lessons during the past year doing either pure mathematics or mechanics, I find M2 easier. In particular S3 involved a fair amount of memorisation and applications of algorithms without a lot of understanding, which made me quite disinterested. However, I know people who dropped mechanics at the M2 stage because they found it too difficult and are now happily doing S3, so everyone is different.
Reply 5
I have to do 1 of the 2, which one is easiest?

It depends on your personal preference. Most people tend to like one of the two-very few like both. In the general sense, I think statistics is seen to be easier-it's usually down to number crunching.
I've done both and I think I found S3 much easier to learn-edexcel exam board. You could perhaps have a look at topics from both and see what you fancy. Mechanics usually involves lots of drawing-force diagrams, etc before answering the question. Also mechanics can be easily twisted whereas stats is usually more predictable.

Good luck with your choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by pappymajek
It depends on your personal preference. Most people tend to like one of the two-very few like both. In the general sense, I think statistics is seen to be easier-it's usually down to number crunching.
I've done both and I think I found S3 much easier to learn-edexcel exam board. You could perhaps have a look at topics from both and see what you fancy. Mechanics usually involves lots of drawing-force diagrams, etc before answering the question. Also mechanics can be easily twisted whereas stats is usually more predictable.

Good luck with your choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by "number crunching" ? and THANKS! big help :smile: but i'm just weighing up what I've heard, such as S3 is really boring and repetitive ? I think i want to do a maths and stats degree as well. but then there's more support from m2, such as exam solution, and maths247 they have videos on m2 but not on s3. And i enjoyed both M1 and S1 but i enjoyed S1 much more :smile:
Reply 7
What do you mean by "number crunching" ? and THANKS! big help :smile: but i'm just weighing up what I've heard, such as S3 is really boring and repetitive ? I think i want to do a maths and stats degree as well. but then there's more support from m2, such as exam solution, and maths247 they have videos on m2 but not on s3. And i enjoyed both M1 and S1 but i enjoyed S1 much more :smile:

You're most welcome. By number crunching, I was referring to numerical data analysis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest