The Student Room Group

Neuroscience 2014 applicants

Hey! I'm looking for some help with applying for Neuroscience. I'm going to a few open days in the summer but I'm looking for some advice on how to make my PS stand out. I'm thinking of UCL, Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham and maybe Sussex.
Im worried that my grades at GCSE and possibly AS (doing exams next month!) are not going to be good enough as when I've looked in other threads it's mostly A* students applying! At GCSE I got 2 A*S 2A's 4B's and a C. In my AS mocks I got ABBB and was told with more hard work I could maybe get AAAA in Chemsitry, Physics, French and English (I plan on dropping English next year). I've never taken Biology to a qualification level.
I'm really passionate about the subject though, especially neurodegenerative illness. I've done some voluntary and charity work over the past few years and I'm a self-taught musician.
As it's a degree which has very few places I'm concerned that I'm going to struggle compared to others in applying for Neuroscience! Is there anything anyone can recommend I could do which could help my application in general? Whether it be reading, voluntary work, part time job... Anything! I also did work experience in a hospital, but I've heard that nowadays, universities have begun to not really recognise it, can anyone confirm? Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
I applied for neuroscience and I got offers from Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham. I got Mostly A's at GCSE'S but no A*s :frown: So you don't need expectational grades. If I'm honest it's going to be difficult to get onto a biology themed course with no A-level biology. I would check the prospectus' of the Uni's that you like. As some require biology AND chemistry at A2 and specific grade for maths English and science at GCSE. Normally they say they want minimum grade B for maths n science and a C for English.
I might be helpful to do AS biology next year along side your A2's. Your as grade are looking really good at the moment since typical neuroscience offers range from ABB-AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Screamsanddies
Hey! I'm looking for some help with applying for Neuroscience. I'm going to a few open days in the summer but I'm looking for some advice on how to make my PS stand out. I'm thinking of UCL, Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham and maybe Sussex.
Im worried that my grades at GCSE and possibly AS (doing exams next month!) are not going to be good enough as when I've looked in other threads it's mostly A* students applying! At GCSE I got 2 A*S 2A's 4B's and a C. In my AS mocks I got ABBB and was told with more hard work I could maybe get AAAA in Chemsitry, Physics, French and English (I plan on dropping English next year). I've never taken Biology to a qualification level.
I'm really passionate about the subject though, especially neurodegenerative illness. I've done some voluntary and charity work over the past few years and I'm a self-taught musician.
As it's a degree which has very few places I'm concerned that I'm going to struggle compared to others in applying for Neuroscience! Is there anything anyone can recommend I could do which could help my application in general? Whether it be reading, voluntary work, part time job... Anything! I also did work experience in a hospital, but I've heard that nowadays, universities have begun to not really recognise it, can anyone confirm? Thank you! :smile:

Hey; I'm applying for neuroscience Also, at UCL, Aberdeen, Nottingham, and the rest to be decided. My A levels and Predicted results are similar to yours and I'm Studying Bio,Chem, Physics, Maths, Dropping Physics next year. However, I dropped out after 6 months of my first AS year because I chose the wrong subjects.

I hope it won't disadvantage me too much.

I'd recommend doing some serious biology reading, "the selfish gene" for evolution, "The man who mistook his wide for a hat" for an insight into clinical neuroscience, "The Lives of a Cell: Notes of a Biology Watcher" for cellular biology. Perhaps "survival of the sickest" for disease,

Don't bother with plants, their relevance is minimal.

A book about nootropics (smart drugs) would be excellent as it combines pharmacology with neuroscience.

I think If you were to read All those books over summer you'd have a better understanding of biology than any A-Level biologist I've ever met, And It would heavily compensate for you lack of A level bio.

Cheers!
Reply 3
Thanks so much for all your advice! Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of reading this summer! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Come to aberdeen!
I'm considering applying for neuroscience! Is it me or is it kind of hard to find insight like other subjects like medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending