The Student Room Group

Does the west have a responsibility to end poverty in developing nations?

Poll

Does the west have a responsibility to end poverty in developing nations?

You often hear criticisms of western countries, especially my home country the US, for not doing enough to end poverty in developing countries. So I guess my own question is does the US and other rich nations have a responsibility to end poverty in developing nations?

My own view is that developing nations don't rise out of poverty because of foreign aid but because of reforming their economies to attract international investment which creates jobs and ends poverty. I don't think there has ever been a nation which was once poor but upon receiving western aid removed millions of people out of poverty.
Reply 1
It's very difficult to end poverty in a lot of these countries due to corrupt governments.
Original post by ThreadPoster
You often hear criticisms of western countries, especially my home country the US, for not doing enough to end poverty in developing countries. So I guess my own question is does the US and other rich nations have a responsibility to end poverty in developing nations?

My own view is that developing nations don't rise out of poverty because of foreign aid but because of reforming their economies to attract international investment which creates jobs and ends poverty. I don't think there has ever been a nation which was once poor but upon receiving western aid removed millions of people out of poverty.

Aid is not designed to solve their economic problems. It's generally an immediate solution to prevent people dying. We simply can't afford to support their economies (and neither can they. It's not like African governments can just change policy and automatically sort out their problems).
Reply 3
I don't think sending money and food will help much in the long run, the single largest problem poor developing countries have is lack of education. Take Africa as an example, an extremely rich continent (not in money, but in resources obviously). But almost completely uneducated, as a corrupt leader it's probably not very difficult to keep a bunch of dumb people oppressed.

This situation is Europes fault. We had all these rich, educated nations that came in an colonized Africa. They ran the countries and abused it's people, then all of a sudden they just disappeared and left these countries. Now we've got all these uneducated people who all of a sudden have to take care of the country themselves.

tl;dr help developing countries by educating them so they can in turn help themselves.
Reply 4
Original post by skumgummi
I don't think sending money and food will help much in the long run, the single largest problem poor developing countries have is lack of education. Take Africa as an example, an extremely rich continent (not in money, but in resources obviously). But almost completely uneducated, as a corrupt leader it's probably not very difficult to keep a bunch of dumb people oppressed.

This situation is Europes fault. We had all these rich, educated nations that came in an colonized Africa. They ran the countries and abused it's people, then all of a sudden they just disappeared and left these countries. Now we've got all these uneducated people who all of a sudden have to take care of the country themselves.

tl;dr help developing countries by educating them so they can in turn help themselves.

Look up brain drain.
Original post by skumgummi

Africans aren't too stupid to realise they are being oppressed, neither are they too stupid to prevent it. You could take the smartest man in the world, take all his positions and throw him in an essentially barren land and point a gun at him. Despite all his smarts, that man can't do anything, the situation is outside of his control.

What Africa needs is jobs. Just as China and India have grown by doing all the jobs Westerners don't want to, Africa will develop if everyone has jobs (other than subsistence farming).
Original post by alexh42
Look up brain drain.

This, In my opinion the West aiding LEDC's has alot of negatives aswell. Because the ambitions of people in LEDC's is not to become successful in their own country but elsewhere in the world, its great that people from LEDC's come to MEDC's to gain degrees etc, however this leads to them wanting to either stay in the devloped countries or move elsewhere away from their home country, so effectively their country has lost a qualified skilled individual.

On a large scale this has negative consequences to the growth of that specific LEDC.

Not to mention the USA's stupid cotton farm subsidies to African farmers, right after they flood the market with cotton themselves and make the whole idea of the subsidy utterly pointless.
PEOPLE have a responsibility, so yes.
Reply 8
Original post by PythianLegume
Africans aren't too stupid to realise they are being oppressed, neither are they too stupid to prevent it. You could take the smartest man in the world, take all his positions and throw him in an essentially barren land and point a gun at him. Despite all his smarts, that man can't do anything, the situation is outside of his control.

What Africa needs is jobs. Just as China and India have grown by doing all the jobs Westerners don't want to, Africa will develop if everyone has jobs (other than subsistence farming).

You do realize Africa is far from a barren land right? Many African countries have oil and the amount of ores can't be rivaled by any other continent. There's plenty of gold and iron.

It can't be argued that an uneducated population is much easier to control compared to an educated population
Reply 9
"Help" is a very ambiguous term. When most people put 'no' they thought of paying loads of money in aid - which 'help' doesn't have to be. Rather than money based help, often helping create good governance can be far more important, or reducing trade barriers gradually - or removing that ridiculous CAP policy!

So "help" doesn't have to be financial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending