The Student Room Group

Blacking out in exams

I did my first a level exams in January and I didn't do very well because of nerves. When I sat down and started the paper my vision would just go black for a few seconds and after that I'd have blurred vision and the words would move all over the page. I have to wait at least 5-10 minutes for this to clear and by this time I'm really anxious because I'm so much behind everyone else. I've been to see my doctor, who said that I have low blood pressure (not by much) and he said he couldn't do anything. I googled low blood pressure and it said that being in a stressful situation can make it much worse.
It's very difficult to do science ISAs as the measurements on the instruments wiggle around.
Has anyone else got this problem or can anyone give me any advice on what I should do?
Best advice is to try and relax more before an exam - have more confidence in yourself and your abilities.
Reply 2
Get a doctor's not discussing this issue and you could get extra time - just make sure to take it to your exam officer ASAP. As far as how to deal with it, in my experience with nerves, practice makes perfect so waiting is a good idea. Other than that improve your confidence in your abilities - you should be walking into an exam knowing you can get the top grade.
Reply 3
Thank you for the replies but generally I do feel calm before I go into an exam which is why it is so annoying. :/
Reply 4
Hey, I have exactly the same problem and it started during my gcse exams. I have had millions of tests done to rule out other medical conditions and my doctor decided it is just my blood pressure dropping. I'm still learning how to deal with it 3 years on from it starting. I now do all my exams in a small room instead of the huge exam hall and I'm allowed to take a break if I need it. I've also learnt to only eat small amounts of food before my exam at food effects your bp; also no caffeine or refined sugar, they raise your bp then make it drop lots. Temperature of the room can also have a large effect on bp.

Hope you don't suffer too much, you'll find your own ways to cope with it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by abobop
Hey, I have exactly the same problem and it started during my gcse exams. I have had millions of tests done to rule out other medical conditions and my doctor decided it is just my blood pressure dropping. I'm still learning how to deal with it 3 years on from it starting. I now do all my exams in a small room instead of the huge exam hall and I'm allowed to take a break if I need it. I've also learnt to only eat small amounts of food before my exam at food effects your bp; also no caffeine or refined sugar, they raise your bp then make it drop lots. Temperature of the room can also have a large effect on bp.

Hope you don't suffer too much, you'll find your own ways to cope with it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much. I had no idea about how food and temperature affect your blood pressure. My doctor was so useless - he said it was a good thing!
Reply 6
Original post by Lunu
Thank you so much. I had no idea about how food and temperature affect your blood pressure. My doctor was so useless - he said it was a good thing!

I was going to ask what you eat before an exam as IME it can help.
Reply 7
Original post by shonaT
I was going to ask what you eat before an exam as IME it can help.

Usually 2 pieces of toast.
Reply 8
Original post by Lunu

No problem, I'm happy to help as I know how horrible it is to go through. Exams are bad enough! Mine was useless to begin with and just kept telling me I was really lucky and that many people would be jealous but then they realised I actually needed help.

Toast is the worst breakfast you can have as it causes ups and downs in bp when what you need is a regular bp :smile: bananas are the best, I have cereal and then about 45-30 mins before an exam I have a banana to keep my bp up through the exam.

You may also need to increase the amount of salt in your diet. I had my diet analysed and they told me my salt levels were too low and salt helps keep your bp up hence why people with high bp have to reduce salt intake :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by abobop
No problem, I'm happy to help as I know how horrible it is to go through. Exams are bad enough! Mine was useless to begin with and just kept telling me I was really lucky and that many people would be jealous but then they realised I actually needed help.

Toast is the worst breakfast you can have as it causes ups and downs in bp when what you need is a regular bp :smile: bananas are the best, I have cereal and then about 45-30 mins before an exam I have a banana to keep my bp up through the exam.

You may also need to increase the amount of salt in your diet. I had my diet analysed and they told me my salt levels were too low and salt helps keep your bp up hence why people with high bp have to reduce salt intake :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you again, I'm going back to see my doctor tomorrow :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by tory88
Get a doctor's not discussing this issue and you could get extra time - just make sure to take it to your exam officer ASAP. As far as how to deal with it, in my experience with nerves, practice makes perfect so waiting is a good idea. Other than that improve your confidence in your abilities - you should be walking into an exam knowing you can get the top grade.

This would not be a reason for extra time but should might be able to get rest breaks.

Quick Reply

Latest