The Student Room Group

Stuck stuck stuck!!!!

Hi all,

As my title suggests I'm feeling a tad stuck in my predicament. I absolutely want to be studying medicine but I'm not.

I have always wanted to study medicine and did very well in my GCSE's and A levels with this goal in mind but due to circumstances (caring for my mum and working to pay her bills and problems) I didn't go straight into Uni from school.

So, last year in October I had the opportunity to start uni finally (circumstances changed) but had applied too late for medicine. I was also informed by a guidance advisor at one of the uni's I applied to that as of next year my qualifications would be out of date.

It was then suggested, due to my good English A level that I could do English as a degree instead as they had spaces on the course and then apply for the GEP after that, as redoing my qualifications would take 2-3 years anyway.

So, this is what I am now doing. I'm a year in and I do enjoy English, I love reading and that is all we do but I'm feeling like a bit of a fraud as my heart isn't in it at all and I'm just wishing it would fly over so I can start medicine. The alternative, of course, would be to do my A levels all over again which means I would have to do my GCSEs again first and it is a bit of a kick in the face.

Would you rather do your GCSEs and A levels all over again or do an interesting but not at all satisfying degree to get you to where you want to be?

And, do you think you could do as well in your GCSEs and A levels so many years later or do you think you could do even better?
Original post by Bunnylove
Hi all,

As my title suggests I'm feeling a tad stuck in my predicament. I absolutely want to be studying medicine but I'm not.

I have always wanted to study medicine and did very well in my GCSE's and A levels with this goal in mind but due to circumstances (caring for my mum and working to pay her bills and problems) I didn't go straight into Uni from school.

So, last year in October I had the opportunity to start uni finally (circumstances changed) but had applied too late for medicine. I was also informed by a guidance advisor at one of the uni's I applied to that as of next year my qualifications would be out of date.

It was then suggested, due to my good English A level that I could do English as a degree instead as they had spaces on the course and then apply for the GEP after that, as redoing my qualifications would take 2-3 years anyway.

So, this is what I am now doing. I'm a year in and I do enjoy English, I love reading and that is all we do but I'm feeling like a bit of a fraud as my heart isn't in it at all and I'm just wishing it would fly over so I can start medicine. The alternative, of course, would be to do my A levels all over again which means I would have to do my GCSEs again first and it is a bit of a kick in the face.

Would you rather do your GCSEs and A levels all over again or do an interesting but not at all satisfying degree to get you to where you want to be?

And, do you think you could do as well in your GCSEs and A levels so many years later or do you think you could do even better?

Why would you study your GCSEs/A-levels again if you had the right grades? :smile: You could still reapply.
Reply 2
Original post by MattKneale
Why would you study your GCSEs/A-levels again if you had the right grades? :smile: You could still reapply.

this :smile:
Reply 3
My GCSEs and A levels are now out of date so I cannot use them to apply. I think it was a 5 year cut off.
Reply 4
My GCSEs and A levels are now out of date so I cannot use them to apply. I think it was a 5 year cut off.

I know of mature students that have applied with GCSEs/A-levels waaay older than 5 years.

Did you check this info by contacting different admissions departments etc?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
That guidance counselor needs a good kicking for pushing you into an English degree (probably because they had spaces) without thought to your aspirations. You wouldn't need to do a 2-3 year course to re-do your qualifications - what would have suited you down to the ground is an Access course.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Access_to_Medicine

Some Unis accept Access to Science, too.
Qualifications haven't gone out of date since O levels, some unis may request that they were achieved within the last few years although I don't think medical schools do this.
Hi all,

Tough choices indeed. I agree with what's been said about qualifications expiring, and about the bad advice you've been given. However, you can only proceed from your current situation. Your choices seem to include...

You could continue with your current degree (2 more years) and apply for GEP (4 more years). This would take 6 years before you reach your F1 year.

You could drop out of English and apply in October for an A100 course starting in 2014, if your A level subjects and grades allow (you didn't say what you have). You'd start in 2014 and the course would be 5 years.

You could drop out of English and apply in October to enter a Foundation / Access course in 2014 (you'd have to check the criteria for this - I'm not so sure you would be eligible). You'd start in 2014, and the course is 6 years, so 7 years overall before F1.

All these options have different costs and timescales, and entry on to any course will be very competitive. In your shoes, and given the competition for places in med school, I would finish your current degree and go for GEP. If the event that you're unsuccessful, at least you would have a degree. But it's a shame you can't wind the clock back and do things differently.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending