The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Whey aye Cabaye
Too many snide and pompous individuals in St John; they need to remember its a voluntary organisation.

Yeah, I've come across too many people already (even in my own division) who give the organisation a bad name.
Original post by Whey aye Cabaye
Too many snide and pompous individuals in St John; they need to remember its a voluntary organisation.

and plenty more who need to realise what they DON'T know and realise that many of the managers in SJA paid or volunteer do actually know their subject matter inside out
Original post by zippyRN
and plenty more who need to realise what they DON'T know and realise that many of the managers in SJA paid or volunteer do actually know their subject matter inside out

Congratulations to them no need for them to put others down to fulfill their egos though, helps no one.
Original post by zippyRN

Who said anything about managers? Most managerial roles require a good working knowledge, but the average volunteer member doesn't require that and as a result often doesn't.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 01Chris02
Who said anything about managers? Most managerial roles require a good working knowledge, but the average volunteer member doesn't require that and as a result often doesn't.

However the number of volunteers who believe they know better than managers and officers is an issue -especially given the numbers who don't and have limited insight into how little they actually know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippyRN
However the number of volunteers who believe they know better than managers and officers is an issue -especially given the numbers who don't and have limited insight into how little they actually know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have heard this is a problem across the water but I have never personally came across this problem. Our division is very friendly though and everyone is encouraged to ask questions if they have anything they want to know!
Hello. :smile:

I recently joined SJA (London Region) and am now officially a trainee first aider!

Does anyone have any advice for me? I plan to get to AFA status and possibly join the cycling response team.
:top2: *lurks*
Has any Youth Leaders attended the Out and About session?
I have been thinking about joking St. John's for a long time. I have a level 3 first aid qualification. I also have a first aid qualification with the FA at level 1 I'm 17. If I do join what would be the age group I join?
Original post by Danibarnes
I have been thinking about joking St. John's for a long time. I have a level 3 first aid qualification. I also have a first aid qualification with the FA at level 1 I'm 17. If I do join what would be the age group I join?

I'm in NI so our rules might be a bit different to that of GB, but I'll try to help.

As you're over 16 you can join the adult division. You could also join a Quad. Division (Caters for children and adults) but I would recommend a full adult division.

I'm not sure whether any existing first aid qualifications will count. You very may well have to go through the full training again for insurance reasons.

You'll work your way up through the training ranks and will eventually be allowed to drive the ambulances if your division is anything like ours! The training rank structure is below, normally each rank will last a minimum of 6 months, this is to make sure that people don't come into SJA to get a free FA qualification and then leave.

TFA (Trainee First Aid) ->
AED(Auto. External Defib.) / FA(First Aid) ->
AFA (Advanced First Aid) /CRU (Cyclist Response Training is option then)->
PTA(Patient Transport Attendant (You'll be 18 at this stage and should be allowed to drive as the volunteer equivalent of PCS (Patient Care Services) ->
ETA(Emergency Transport Attendant) ->
Response Driving (ROSPA Gold) ->
Blue Lights Driving Course

In my experience it's good fun and the people are great banter. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Danibarnes

Probably best to join the adults, thats what I did at 16.
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Hello. :smile:

I recently joined SJA (London Region) and am now officially a trainee first aider!

Does anyone have any advice for me? I plan to get to AFA status and possibly join the cycling response team.

I wish the Belfast Region Divisions were more like London divisions. You guys can eventually drive these... :wink:

Just keep enthusiastic, keep up with your re-validations and rise up the ranks with time! Transfers generally have a lot more 'action' than duties do in my experience, but depending on how it works over there you mightn't be allowed on transfers yet as a third? I'm not sure.
Original post by 01Chris02
I'm in NI so our rules might be a bit different to that of GB, but I'll try to help.

As you're over 16 you can join the adult division. You could also join a Quad. Division (Caters for children and adults) but I would recommend a full adult division.

I'm not sure whether any existing first aid qualifications will count. You very may well have to go through the full training again for insurance reasons.

You'll work your way up through the training ranks and will eventually be allowed to drive the ambulances if your division is anything like ours! The training rank structure is below, normally each rank will last a minimum of 6 months, this is to make sure that people don't come into SJA to get a free FA qualification and then leave.

TFA (Trainee First Aid) ->
AED(Auto. External Defib.) / FA(First Aid) ->
AFA (Advanced First Aid) /CRU (Cyclist Response Training is option then)->
PTA(Patient Transport Attendant (You'll be 18 at this stage and should be allowed to drive as the volunteer equivalent of PCS (Patient Care Services) ->
ETA(Emergency Transport Attendant) ->
Response Driving (ROSPA Gold) ->
Blue Lights Driving Course

In my experience it's good fun and the people are great banter. :smile:

Ok that sounds good. I think I will join

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingGoonIan
Probably best to join the adults, thats what I did at 16.

but thanks to YVP 2 they ( 'stjohnyouth' ) no longer allow under 18s in adult units , but unfortunately i'm not aware of anywhere that has implemented the split at 14 that the service delivery apprenticeship scheme has...
Reply 635
Is anyone an SJA member of London, Essex or Nottingham or anywhere near these places ?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, why?
Reply 637
Just curious as to how others find there experiences :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kapaaw
Might be a stupid question, but I'm just filling out my Health Declaration Form for the SJA application and I don't think I've had a BCG jab. Can I just put 'no' or should I go and get it done (trying to avoid being stabbed by a needle here :tongue:).

Did you take your form to the GP?

For the 'fit for this role' bit.

My gp takes absolutely ages! 2 Weeks!! and they charge you £13 for ticking a freaking box
Original post by letsbehonest
Did you take your form to the GP?

For the 'fit for this role' bit.

My gp takes absolutely ages! 2 Weeks!! and they charge you £13 for ticking a freaking box

You do not need to get your GP to complete the Health forms

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending