The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Postgraduates 2013/2014

Hey everyone! I just got an offer from Bristol for the MSc in Global Wildlife Health and Conservation and I can't seem to find any forums or groups for Bristol postgraduates so I figured I'd make one. I'm an international student so I'm hoping to meet some people also starting their postgrad! I'm not really sure how this site works but I figured I'd give it a try... so who else is going to be at Bristol in September? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! That MSc sounds really interesting, my first degree was zoology so I'm into that kind of thing. Whereabouts are you from?

I have an offer for MSc International Relations :smile:. Got other offers so still need to make my final decision, but Bristol is my first choice at the moment!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by dltp2013
Hey! That MSc sounds really interesting, my first degree was zoology so I'm into that kind of thing. Whereabouts are you from?

I have an offer for MSc International Relations :smile:. Got other offers so still need to make my final decision, but Bristol is my first choice at the moment!

Hey! Thanks! International relations sounds interesting as well! How did you wind up going from zoology to international relations? That seems like a pretty large switch. I'm from New York, but really excited to live somewhere new for a bit! Good luck deciding on a school, it's so tough!
Hello! I'm from the United States as well, though all the way on the opposite side of the country in rainy Washington! I'll be in the MSc Neuroscience and Education course, and I'm very excited for this upcoming year. It's lovely "meeting" all of you. :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, I have an offer from Bristol for my Computer Science Msc which I'm still contemplating. I will most likely going to either Bristol or Glasgow but am having such a hard time deciding. Have you looked at accommodation yet? and are you self-funding the study?
I'm self-funding and will be staying in university postgraduate accommodation. I applied for Dean's Court but I'm still waiting for a reply.
Reply 6
I have offers from Bristol, Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham and a few others for my MSc. I think I will end up at Bristol but was wondering what a postgrad's social life is like? Obviously you cannot go out as much and waste as much money as you do during your undergrad but what can you tell me? Will I have time to join any clubs and societies?
Reply 7
It's really wild apparently because all postgrads are running away from work.
Reply 8
Original post by peter12345
It's really wild apparently because all postgrads are running away from work.

are you a postgrad?
It isnt the same as being an undergrad - you are in a smaller class group and work is more concentrated and personal at p/g level, so you dont spend so much time together. Also, much depends on which Dept etc you are in. Some Depts have a pretty weak structure for postgrads (Humanities generally), others have a great sense of community. There will be 'ice breaker' socials organised at the start of your course - make the most of them, talk to people and get phone numbers/emails then as you might not see them much again! You can of course join all the societies on offer - there is the usual freshers Fair for 'join up' and all postgrads are welcome.
Reply 10
Original post by Sandman62
are you a postgrad?

No but my friend is and he says a lot of his classmates are doing it to run away from the dreaded 9-5.
Reply 11
I was wondering if there are any home students who are looking for accommodation. I'm in the process of accepting my MSc offer and would prefer to live in one of the rooms offered by the uni. However, they're offered to postgrads who are not paying home fees first, so I don't know what my chances of getting one are like. Any others in a similar position?
Reply 12
I was wondering if there are any home students who are looking for accommodation. I'm in the process of accepting my MSc offer and would prefer to live in one of the rooms offered by the uni. However, they're offered to postgrads who are not paying home fees first, so I don't know what my chances of getting one are like. Any others in a similar position?

Perhaps ask your course administrator to set up a facebook page for other people on your course to 'like' and post on. Then you can arrange a flat share online. That's what we did (5 of the 11 people on my course).
Reply 13
Thanks for starting this thread lyss. I accepted an offer for MSc Accounting, Finance and Management. I'm also from the US, so it's great to see other Americans coming over to Bristol as well! I think its a great idea to start making those connections now, if you want to add me on Facebook or Skype, send me a message! :smile:
Reply 14
Also, has anyone applied for university accommodation yet or have any insight on what its like?
Reply 15
Hello, I am from India and I'll be joining Bristol in September as well studying MSc in Advanced Computing. Anyone got a CAS yet??
Reply 16
Original post by Jasmine_O
Also, has anyone applied for university accommodation yet or have any insight on what its like?

I've applied for Deans court but since I'm a home student, there is no guarantee that I will get a place. Most likely I will have to find some private accommodation.
Reply 17
Hey everyone! I got, and accepted, an offer to read MSc Public Policy; very excited!
I did my undergrad in Bristol as well (I am from Denmark though), and its a fantastic city! I don't ever want to leave.
As for accommodation, don't sweat it, finding a room in Bristol isn't exactly hard and its usually a good deal cheaper than university halls.
Reply 18
Original post by juliezalex
Hey everyone! I got, and accepted, an offer to read MSc Public Policy; very excited!
I did my undergrad in Bristol as well (I am from Denmark though), and its a fantastic city! I don't ever want to leave.
As for accommodation, don't sweat it, finding a room in Bristol isn't exactly hard and its usually a good deal cheaper than university halls.

Is it hard to find studios or non shared housing in Bristol?
Reply 19
I've applied for Deans court but since I'm a home student, there is no guarantee that I will get a place. Most likely I will have to find some private accommodation.

I just applied for Colston Street but looking for private accommodation as well. Is there a benefit to stay in university accommodation opposed to private?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending