The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2180
Original post by jam277
I agree with what you're saying. Luiz looks like a good cheap solution to the problem. I also think that he can play a box to box role too as he has the energy to go back and forth, won't shy from a tackle and has good ability on the ball. Although looking at the top teams we need more than that. Even if we get luiz with lampard going we need to get another DM as mikel isn't good enough(he does his job well but he's too slow in play) and I don't want to see ramires starting next season. I guess we can take a punt on romeu and use essien but that isn't good enough for my liking. It'll do for the league just about but against top opposition we'd come unstuck. A good example was the 2-0 bayern vs juve match where juve were given absolutely no space to manouver and you had players like schweinsteigger and martinez just pressing the midfielders so pirlo had no space to pass whatsoever.

Was also thinking that with luiz capable of playing most DM/CM and CB roles he could drop back into defence as a back 3/5 to prevent counter attacks and he can play with a BBM like essien and they could switch between the BBM role and the DLP role so it's harder to mark them.

I agree. But we'll see what happens.

Though I really hope Romeu is given a fair chance to come back to form and unleash his full potential.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Agree here. You have brought in some **** ups since he left.
I don't think benitez would have taken the squad any further anyway 09 was his final chance to establish the team as a PL giant and he messed it up.

I think mourinho will be bubbly, well better than he is now. He hates madrid and is just waiting to leave.

I do think we've made a lot of steps back since Benitez left.

Well 2009 was obviously the team's peak during his tenure with a dip in 2010 but I think he could have turned it around in 2011 if given the chance. Def would've done better than Roy Hodgson!

Even since Rafa left in summer 2010, the squad hasn't changed that much even in 2013, especially in defence.
Original post by Zerforax

I don't think Mourinho will be as entertaining as his first stint at Chelsea. He's so much more sulky and moody these days. Understandably from the Madrid situation but I think the hard work and relentless pressure is getting to him.

That's what I'm worried about if he comes here. There will be immediate pressure on him to challenge for the league in his first season, which if not done could see him go just like the others.

Anyway I'm getting tired of short term managers delivering short term success. Right now we have some brilliant young players who are gelling into a great team, with a few more youngsters coming through the ranks and others on loan. Personally I'd want a manager who can perpetuate this to build a new sustainable model for Chelsea. If Mourinho comes in, i'm wary he'll overlook this objective and bring in some £20m+ players because of the expectations of him to deliver in his first season.

I agree that in a few areas it would probably help to spend some money on transfers, e.g. a new striker. But I'm happy to play Lukaku/Ba up top next season, with the vision of Lukaku being our main striker in the forseeable future. We may not be able to win the league next season, but we should be able to challenge for it. Maybe this is all just an optimistic view though...
If the players really want to secure CL qualification then they should be up for it, im hearing Lamps will start tomorrow hopefully he can bag a brace and break the record
Original post by Musester
I would be happy with Marin starting if it meant a fit Mata/Hazard/Oscar for Benfica, Malouda's still miles better than Benayoun. Says a lot about Arsenal's squad when he's considered a useful player there.

He was part of a squad that finished above your lot last year.

Chelsea fans haven't given him a chance, he's not flashy enough and didn't cost above £10m. Frankly put, the way he's been treated is an absolute disgrace.

And don't for a second think that Arsenal fans loved the idea of him joining us either at first, but we gave him a chance and gradually his performances got better and better to the point that he was one of our better players in the last few games when injuries had taken their toll. He was a class act and willing to get results through shear determination rather than skill alone, that's what makes him effective.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Musester
I would be happy with Marin starting if it meant a fit Mata/Hazard/Oscar for Benfica, Malouda's still miles better than Benayoun. Says a lot about Arsenal's squad when he's considered a useful player there.

Not like you lot paid good money for him or anything is it? Hes not the most exciting player in the world by any means but hes practical and trustworthy, as recognised by many top class managers over the years.

Suspect there is an anti-semetic element to the abuse he gets tbh. And even if there isnt its disgraceful to boo a player who always always gives 100% trying to do his job. Same old Chelsea...
Reply 2186
Original post by Zürich
Not like you lot paid good money for him or anything is it? Hes not the most exciting player in the world by any means but hes practical and trustworthy, as recognised by many top class managers over the years.

Suspect there is an anti-semetic element to the abuse he gets tbh. And even if there isnt its disgraceful to boo a player who always always gives 100% trying to do his job. Same old Chelsea...
Yeah, I think the way some of our fans treat him is disgusting. I'd like to think it was Rafa's choice of sub (which was pretty "what the ****" worthy) rather than Yossi himself that had the crowd booing against Tottenham, but I fear that's not the case.

I like Benayoun though, he is a decent player who works very hard. Ideal when you need to preserve a lead and rest a few key players. Obviously on Wednesday this was not the case, with Ba and Lampard also on the bench I couldn't fathom Benitez's choice of sub, to which I think a lot of people would agree, and unfortunately Benayoun was unfairly on the receiving end of the fan's frustrations.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2187
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/10050337/Manchester-City-manager-Roberto-Mancini-on-the-brink-as-club-close-in-on-Malagas-Manuel-Pellegrini.html

Mancini getting replaced by Pellegrini apparently. All these new managers just makes me want Mourinho even more! :frown:

Mourinho to Chelsea
Ancelotti to Real Madrid
Mancini to PSG
Pellegrini to City
Rafa to Malaga

Everyone's happy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Isometrix
That's what I'm worried about if he comes here. There will be immediate pressure on him to challenge for the league in his first season, which if not done could see him go just like the others.

Anyway I'm getting tired of short term managers delivering short term success. Right now we have some brilliant young players who are gelling into a great team, with a few more youngsters coming through the ranks and others on loan. Personally I'd want a manager who can perpetuate this to build a new sustainable model for Chelsea. If Mourinho comes in, i'm wary he'll overlook this objective and bring in some £20m+ players because of the expectations of him to deliver in his first season.

I agree that in a few areas it would probably help to spend some money on transfers, e.g. a new striker. But I'm happy to play Lukaku/Ba up top next season, with the vision of Lukaku being our main striker in the forseeable future. We may not be able to win the league next season, but we should be able to challenge for it. Maybe this is all just an optimistic view though...

Well you'd hope there would be some sort of acknowledgement that Man Utd and Man City have impressive squads and only one team out of the three can actually win the title.. probably not though!

Well with Abramovich so trigger happy, if you're a manager, do you go for short term or long term benefit? Obviously the former as otherwise your time will probably be up before you can get the benefit of the latter.
Reply 2189
Original post by Zerforax
I do think we've made a lot of steps back since Benitez left.

Well 2009 was obviously the team's peak during his tenure with a dip in 2010 but I think he could have turned it around in 2011 if given the chance. Def would've done better than Roy Hodgson!

Even since Rafa left in summer 2010, the squad hasn't changed that much even in 2013, especially in defence.

Yeah, but take it this way, the rest of the top 4 contenders have improved majorly, tottenham are on course to get a record points total in the prem, arsenal will probably get >70 points, chelsea will get >70 points if we get past villa, city have been poor but they're still more than good enough to qualify for the champions league. You see what I'm saying?

I think you may have been able to challenge arsenal for the CL spot in 2011 if rafa stayed and maybe use that as momentum to displace arsenal the next season but the top 4 contenders have improved so much since 05-09.

I agree here. I think he'll get a DM/CB and play luiz in DM first and foremost. He'll try de bruyne when he comes back from loan, he should try lukaku as well but if he's on loan I wouldn't be too averse to that seeing him develop while we have a top striker and ba. In reality either situation would be best for lukaku we buy no striker and he gets games or we buy a striker and loan him out so he gets games. Would like to see lukaku at a CL team in europe, or a europa league team(swansea maybe?) so he can make a name there before coming to us.

Original post by Sebister
If the players really want to secure CL qualification then they should be up for it, im hearing Lamps will start tomorrow hopefully he can bag a brace and break the record

I had a dream that lampard scored one goal vs villa.

I'm going to miss his troll substitutions the most :rofl:

Thing is, we didn't really need a goal. It was the right sub to make.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Thing is, we didn't really need a goal. It was the right sub to make.

Yes we did. it was 2-2 then. Benayoun can't defend or attack, which meant we were playing with 10 men on the field.
Cech; Azpilicueta, Cahill, Terry, Cole; Ramires, Lampard; Hazard, Mata, Moses; Ba.

Thank **** for that.
Original post by jam277
Yeah, but take it this way, the rest of the top 4 contenders have improved majorly, tottenham are on course to get a record points total in the prem, arsenal will probably get >70 points, chelsea will get >70 points if we get past villa, city have been poor but they're still more than good enough to qualify for the champions league. You see what I'm saying?

I think you may have been able to challenge arsenal for the CL spot in 2011 if rafa stayed and maybe use that as momentum to displace arsenal the next season but the top 4 contenders have improved so much since 05-09.

Not only did Liverpool stand still, they moved backwards after Benitez. In the past, a number of players would've picked Liverpool over Spurs but now that seems to have reversed.

Ah well, too many ifs and buts and mistakes generally. I'll be somewhat interested to see if/where Rafa's new job is, otherwise it will be stressing about Rodgers' new targets and purchases.
Reply 2194
Cahill hasn't learned his lesson from Wednesday.
Goodbye top 4.
Original post by Nichrome
Goodbye top 4.

Lol you haven't lost yet. Have some faith

Posted from TSR Mobile
as expected we are going to lose this then leave it to a last day win.. this team is just so bad at finishing of things its a joke.
Reply 2199
Oh my, how unlucky is Lampard!

Latest