The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by constantmeowage
*Fala-o, if I remember correctly (although if natives happen to be native and correct, please stamp on this with the right answer :biggrin:).

You can only use 'Lo' after an infinitive in Portuguese, que yo sepa.

Isn't that what happened in my sentence :s-smilie:? Não sei falar-o -> Não sei fala-lo?
Original post by thatitootoo
lool

On the subject of Craven College...

What is your friend 21stCenturyPhantom doing now? I remember her religiously looking for a A-level German course :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Him! Are you letting your preconceptions of language students get in the way?:biggrin:

I think he's preparing for his GCSE Spanish and German right now, but he told me the numbers of applications for A-level aren't looking good for next year.
:mad:
double quote woops
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo
Oooh I thought she was a lady! (Just like I thought 'constantmeowage' was a cat!) xD So I guess I am :wink:
It's such a shame, he probably won't be in a class next year! :frown: But he said that he is no stranger to distance learning...so it's all good :biggrin:

Three more weeks till I start my beginners evening class, Ich freue mich schon darauf! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Really?:redface: that's quite funny :tongue:

J'avais eu un chien? I feel silly now :redface:
That's pluperfect: "I had a dog". Imperfect: "I used to have a dog" should be "j'avais un chien". That is, of course, assuming that one can use the imperfect tense the way I'm using it in French; as "I used to have" !

That said, I don't think my previous suggestion for how to get a U is actually bad enough. The "sympathetic native speaker" would understand part of it, even if thought it was an attempt at "I utilise having a dog to". That's three words out of five! Got to be worth at least an E.
Original post by Octopus_Garden
That's pluperfect: "I had a dog". Imperfect: "I used to have a dog" should be "j'avais un chien". That is, of course, assuming that one can use the imperfect tense the way I'm using it in French; as "I used to have" !

That said, I don't think my previous suggestion for how to get a U is actually bad enough. The "sympathetic native speaker" would understand part of it, even if thought it was an attempt at "I utilise having a dog to". That's three words out of five! Got to be worth at least an E.

I didn't know whether to have the "eu" or not!

U.

J'être *name* , j'avoir *age* années?

Perhaps?
Reply 846

It's pluperfect yes, but that is 'I had had a dog' (which I think you knew but typed wrong admittedly).

I would translate 'I used to have' as simply 'j'avais', as you have done. The 'used to' feeling is generally conveyed together with 'when I was young/as a child' etc.

Edit: And yeah, I was going to suggest that your example was too correct. Word for dog - check, gender of chien - check, made an effort to say something at all - check. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 847
I didn't know whether to have the "eu" or not!

U.

J'être *name* , j'avoir *age* années?

Perhaps?

They wouldn't know that you have to have avoir for age!
Original post by constantmeowage
I'd just be worried about passing on bad linguistic habits if my offspring picked up a foreign language from me. :frown: I hate helping people, not because I don't want to (I really do like helping people and stuff), but I'm always 99% I'm completely wrong and I don't want to feed them lies and stuff, so they're better off not listening :frown: :P

Yes, I had plans about how I was going to teach my children languages, but now I have them, it turns out I'm terrified of permanently impairing their ability to manage an authentic accent! So they watch foreign language DVDs with me, instead. Linguaphone videos are really good; they naturally imitate the people on the video. One toddler started producing a wonderful "Bonjour"!

I sometimes try to speak German, but I have to panic and consult a dictionary half-way through every sentence, in case I'm using the wrong gender!
Original post by Vionar
They wouldn't know that you have to have avoir for age!

I was meant to use etre again:tongue:
Reply 850
I was meant to use etre again:tongue:

It's actually quite difficult to make a bad example!
Yes, I had plans about how I was going to teach my children languages, but now I have them, it turns out I'm terrified of permanently impairing their ability to manage an authentic accent! So they watch foreign language DVDs with me, instead. Linguaphone videos are really good; they naturally imitate the people on the video. One toddler started producing a wonderful "Bonjour"!

I sometimes try to speak German, but I have to panic and consult a dictionary half-way through every sentence, in case I'm using the wrong gender!

Tu as les jeunes?:cute:

Original post by Vionar
It's actually quite difficult to make a bad example!

Je sais... :rofl: .
Original post by Ronove
It's pluperfect yes, but that is 'I had had a dog' (which I think you knew but typed wrong admittedly).

I would translate 'I used to have' as simply 'j'avais', as you have done. The 'used to' feeling is generally conveyed together with 'when I was young/as a child' etc.

Edit: And yeah, I was going to suggest that your example was too correct. Word for dog - check, gender of chien - check, made an effort to say something at all - check. :tongue:
Dammit, you're right, I did leave a word out. *smacks self*

I What about out loud. They could turn it into: Shay (because people get confused between je and j'ai out loud) you-teel oone sheen.

I think that could pull it down to U to F territory.

Or, or, or.... How's this one? I nicked it from an MFL teacher thread.

J'ai poubelle malade.
I have bin ill!
Oooh I thought she was a lady! (Just like I thought 'constantmeowage' was a cat!) xD So I guess I am
It's such a shame, he probably won't be in a class next year! But he said that he is no stranger to distance learning...so it's all good

Three more weeks till I start my beginners evening class, Ich freue mich schon darauf!

And he's enrolling on a one-night-a-week Beginners' class...:rofl3:
Dammit, you're right, I did leave a word out. *smacks self*

I What about out loud. They could turn it into: Shay (because people get confused between je and j'ai out loud) you-teel oone sheen.

I think that could pull it down to U to F territory.

Or, or, or.... How's this one? I nicked it from an MFL teacher thread.

J'ai poubelle malade.
I have bin ill!

Maybe they do have an ill bin?:rofl:

I saw a bee fly.
Je une scie un abeille le mouche.
Tu as les jeunes?:cute:

Ils sont très mignons!
Ils sont très mignons!

Awww, quel-âge as-tu? (peux-je utiliser tu, ou préférerais-tu vous?)

Aussi, qu'elle-âgées ont-ils?

^ don't know if that makes sense..
Maybe they do have an ill bin?:rofl:

I saw a bee fly.
Je une scie un abeille le mouche.
Tu recevras les mauvaises notes!

I think you have cracked it!
Him! Are you letting your preconceptions of language students get in the way?:biggrin:

I think he's preparing for his GCSE Spanish and German right now, but he told me the numbers of applications for A-level aren't looking good for next year.
:mad:

I actually feel a bit better knowing others face my situation :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tu recevras les mauvaises notes!

I think you have cracked it!

Yes!:awesome:

Latest

Trending

Trending