The Student Room Group

OCR MEI AS Further Mathematics FP1 13/05/2013 PM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pratstercs
I thought that one was really easy, better than the recent past papers.

Only thing I didn't like was the last question about matrix transformations. I think I managed it, but we'll see.
What's the proper definition of a singular matrix? I put "a transformation that can't be reversed to the original point"

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote that it does not have an inverse, as the determinant is 0.

As for the paper - it wasn't too difficult but I know I have made a few silly mistakes.
Reply 21
I found it really hard :frown: induction and series are not my thing at all :frown: I preferred the past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
I thought this was a really nice exam in comparison to previous ones, most questions were fairly simple, question 9 took me back a little though, and does anybody know, what will happen if my school gave me the wrong answer booklet to write in? because on question 7 where you sketch the rest of the graph, there was no graph in my answer booklet.... please help!
Reply 23
Original post by Jackb1234
I thought this was a really nice exam in comparison to previous ones, most questions were fairly simple, question 9 took me back a little though, and does anybody know, what will happen if my school gave me the wrong answer booklet to write in? because on question 7 where you sketch the rest of the graph, there was no graph in my answer booklet.... please help!

My answer book had two copies of the incomplete graph in (one for if you messed up the first time). They do ask you before the exam starts to check you have the right material, and it would have been down to you to bring it up with an invigilator during the exam if you had a problem. Hope things go in your favour :')
Reply 24
Were the questions:

1) Idenities

2)Roots of polynomial

3)Matrix simultaneous equations

4)Complex Number argand diagram

5)Method of differences

6)

7) Graph

8)Induction and standard formula

9)Maticies

For the complex one was z2= root(12.5 + j root(12.5 ?
Reply 25
Was anyone able to answer the (r(r-1)-1) = 1/3(n(n+2)(n-2)) using standard series formula? I am still trying to do it...
Reply 26
I got root 12.5 too
Reply 27
Original post by shinga
Was anyone able to answer the (r(r-1)-1) = 1/3(n(n+2)(n-2)) using standard series formula? I am still trying to do it...

Wasn't it starting with [h="2"]Σr^2 -Σr -n[/h]Then factorize out 1/3 then take out n and if you multiply the stuff left in the right hand side bracket you get n^2-4 which is the difference of 2 squares so its (n-2)(n+2)
Reply 28
Original post by Panople
My answer book had two copies of the incomplete graph in (one for if you messed up the first time). They do ask you before the exam starts to check you have the right material, and it would have been down to you to bring it up with an invigilator during the exam if you had a problem. Hope things go in your favour :')

So would you say that I just won't get the marks for that question or that I will get 0? :cry::cry:
Reply 29
Original post by abdcefghi
Wasn't it starting with [h="2"]Σr^2 -Σr -n[/h]Then factorize out 1/3 then take out n and if you multiply the stuff left in the right hand side bracket you get n^2-4 which is the difference of 2 squares so its (n-2)(n+2)

I done exactly the same!
Reply 30
Ok so was the graph:

y=(3x^2)/((2x-1)(x+2))

Was the inequalities one:

Reply 31
Ok so was the graph:

y=(3x^2)/((2x-1)(x+2))

Was the inequalities one:

Yep! so A=2, B=2 and C=3
Reply 32
So would you say that I just won't get the marks for that question or that I will get 0? :cry::cry:

I'm pretty sure they wont give you marks for doing nothing :frown:

If your answer book was missing a page you might be able to appeal to the exam board, but I don't know any specifics so don't quote me on that :wink:
Reply 33
Original post by Panople
I'm pretty sure they wont give you marks for doing nothing :frown:

If your answer book was missing a page you might be able to appeal to the exam board, but I don't know any specifics so don't quote me on that :wink:

I'm so angry! I think I got around 65-70 as well
Reply 34
Yep! so A=2, B=2 and C=3

So glad to hear that I had to fly through that section :'(
Reply 35
So glad to hear that I had to fly through that section :'(

Haha, I flew through the whole paper up until question 9 really! Very nice paper though!
Reply 36
Banged this paper, seeing as all my revision went into this! Hoping for 71/72 assuming everything else was good, the question with the singular matrix, I showed that det(M) = 0 however I couldn't relate it to the transformation itself. Mate says the correct answer was "many to one" but not sure what this means :/
Reply 37
Does anyone remember what z1 was? The one they gave you..
Reply 38
Original post by Ab3rry
Does anyone remember what z1 was? The one they gave you..

I THINK it was -3+2j.
are you sure it wasn't -3-2i?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending