The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Sara_A
Thanks for those really good points, I was wondering of they ask for the reasons behind fyp if I use those points and link my answer back to the question would it be ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep that's exactly what you have to do but those points are your starting points, you need to go more in depth and analyse maybe the short term/long term impact of implementation and whether actually, one was more important than the other?
Reply 101
Unit 1 Past Questions

January 2009
D3: Russia in Revolution 1881-1924

How far were divisions amongst its opponents responsible for the survival of Tsarist rule 1881-1905

How far was the Provisional Government responsible for its own downfall?

D4: Stalin’s Russia 1924-1953

How far were economic problems responsible for Stalin’s decision to replace the NEP in 1928 with the Five Year Plan?

How far was the dramatic development of a war economy responsible for the USSR’s victory in the Second World War?

June 2009

How far do you agree that the economy of Tsarist Russia was transformed in the years to 1914?

To what extent were the weaknesses of their opponents responsible for the survival of the Bolshevik government 1917-1924?

How far do agree that the collectivisation of agriculture made a significant contribution to Stalin’s transformation of the Soviet economy?

To what extent did Stalin establish a personal dictatorship 1929-1939?

January 2010

To what extent did Russia undergo economic and political reform 1906-14?

How far was Lenin responsible for the Bolsheviks holding on to power 1917-24?

How significant were the personalities of the contenders to succeed Lenin in accounting for Stalin’s defeat of his opponents 1924-29?

How far did Stalin’s social policies change the lives of women and children in the years to 1945?

June 2010

How far do you agree that the use of repression was the main reason for the

weakness of opposition to Tsarism 1881-1914 ?

To what extent does the impact of the First World War explain the outbreak of two revolutions in Russia in 1917 ?

How successful were the Five Year Plans in transforming Russian industry in the years to 1941 ?

To what extent did Soviet culture perform a political role in the USSR in the years 1924-53 ?

January 2011

Why did Tsarism survive the Revolution of 1905 but not that of March (Feb) 1917 ?

How far do you agree that the brutality of the Bolsheviks was the main reason why they remained in power 1917-1924 ?

How far were divisions over the continuation of the New Economic Policy responsible for the contest to succeed Lenin in the years 1924-1928 ?

How far do you agree that the most important result of the repression of 1934-38 was the strengthening of Stalin’s political dominance ?

May 2011

To what extent was the Tsarist system of government modified 1881-1914 ?

How accurate is it to say that Lenin’s leadership was the most important reason for the Bolsheviks’ success in the revolution of 1917 ?

How accurate is it to say that the most important result of the collectivisation of agriculture was that it imposed Communist control on the countryside ?

Why, despite the disasters of 1941, was the USSR able to defeat Germany by 1945 ?

January 2012

How accurate is it to say that the growth of reformist groups in the years from 1881 was the main cause of the 1905 Revolution ?

Why was the Provisional Government so short-lived ?

How far did the aims and key features of the Five Year Plans change in the years 1928-1941 ?

How accurate is it to say that the lend-lease programme was the most important reason for the USSR’s victory in the Second World War ?

May 2012

How far was Nicholas II responsible for the fall of the Romanovs in 1917 ?

How far do you agree that Trotsky’s leadership of the Red Army was

responsible for the survival of the Bolshevik government ?

Why were Stalin’s opponents unable to prevent him from becoming the

leader of the USSR by 1929 ?

To what extent did collectivisation improve Soviet agriculture 1928-41 ?

January 2013

How accurate is it to say that Tsarism survived 1881-1914 mainly because its opponents were too weak & divided to challenge it effectively ?

How far do you agree that the Bolsheviks consolidated their hold on power in the years after the October/November Revolution mainly through the use of violence against their opponents ?

To what extent was a totalitarian state set up in Russia in the 1930s ?

To what extent was the strength of the Soviet economy responsible for the USSR’s victory in the Second World War ?

What do you think will come up?
Original post by Chlo55
I know, they're like the ones i'm most confident on hopefully it'll be something like how were the divisions amongst the tsars opponents responsible for the failure of the 1905 revolution. And then something like how was trotskys role important to bolsheviks victory in the civil war or something:')

It's like you read my mind because that's exactly what I want :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
I'm pretty much against most of you guys! D: I would cry not because of happiness but 'cause of dread because of all the topics I've revised on, the changing roles of women or children is the one I've focused on less. Kill me if a question about women and children comes up!
Original post by sasunerd
I'm pretty much against most of you guys! D: I would cry not because of happiness but 'cause of dread because of all the topics I've revised on, the changing roles of women or children is the one I've focused on less. Kill me if a question about women and children comes up!

Agree with you on that, I've not really revised it but now I'm thinking of doing so in case, I shouldn't come on here because I worry myself :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am doing the Politics, Presidency and Society in the USA, 1968-2001, along with the civil rights.
What do you guys predict the presidency question to be based upon?
Reply 106
How many paragraphs do you write for the 30 mark essays? I tend to split them up. Let's take for example the causes of the Collectivisation process.

Intro
P1 - Economic (let's assume the question says how far do you say the causes are economic)
P2 - Grain Procurement Crisis
P3 - Ideological
P4 - Political
Conclusion

Do you think that'd be okay? I do P.E.E, so I make a point - then back it up with lots of evidence, and then try flesh it out explain and then link back.

But apparently you need to do more paragraphs. Is that true? How much is ideal?
Reply 107
Original post by Tulareyn
How many paragraphs do you write for the 30 mark essays? I tend to split them up. Let's take for example the causes of the Collectivisation process.

Intro
P1 - Economic (let's assume the question says how far do you say the causes are economic)
P2 - Grain Procurement Crisis
P3 - Ideological
P4 - Political
Conclusion

Do you think that'd be okay? I do P.E.E, so I make a point - then back it up with lots of evidence, and then try flesh it out explain and then link back.

But apparently you need to do more paragraphs. Is that true? How much is ideal?

Definitely not. At least three factors are good enough, considering those three factors are very strong. I've read an exam answer which contained only three factors and it was 28/30.

But I would say three to four factors is ideal.
Reply 108
If they asked how far do you agree that the roles of women and children changed? How would you show the opposing side to keep it balanced. There was mainly changes..
Reply 109
Original post by Kingboss
If they asked how far do you agree that the roles of women and children changed? How would you show the opposing side to keep it balanced. There was mainly changes..

they've kind of already asked that so I'd think they'd ask about whether the status of women changed?
Reply 110

I think you're right, it's mainly changes. Do you really have to keep it balanced if it simply isn't balanced?
Original post by GrumpyChickensDS
I am doing the Politics, Presidency and Society in the USA, 1968-2001, along with the civil rights.

Any ideas?
Reply 112
Original post by Lawlser
I've focused on it so much that if it doesn't come up I'll be so upset haha!

Well, you'd order them according to the question. e.g.

How far were political causes the main reason why Stalin implemented the First FYP.

You'd do Political first, then whatever you feel fit.

Always lead with the factor stated in the question.

Economic has a substantial amount, it's all about explanation so for example.

The Scissors crisis - peasents profits decreased - led to substinence farming - fears of famine but ALSO, the decrease in grain meant that the proletariat were suffering because they weren't recieving generic foodstuffs and due to Stalin believing proletariat should prosper it can be argued he never wanted this to happen in the future which led to the FYP and Collectivisation so he could take away power from the peasants and move them into urban areas while his supporters managed the farms.

See where I'm going? trying to go in depth but always relating to question..?

I don't even really understand the Scissors crisis :confused: Can you do it in simpler terms?

They did a question on economic failure of the NEP being responsible for instigating the FYP a few years ago - does that make you wonder if it's likely not to come up?
Reply 113
Original post by Hlyono
I don't even really understand the Scissors crisis :confused: Can you do it in simpler terms?

They did a question on economic failure of the NEP being responsible for instigating the FYP a few years ago - does that make you wonder if it's likely not to come up?

Basically, the prices of industrial goods went up by 290% of the 1913 levels whereas the prices of agricultural goods only went up by 89% therefore the peasants incomes fell and people couldn't afford what they used to.

Yea that was the first ever question they asked for Stalin, and on that paper they done a question on whether the strength of the soviet economy was responsible for the WW2 win which they repeated in Jan this year, tenuous link I know - so they might repeat the reasons for FYP in tomorrow, hopefully!!
Reply 114

Many things to be said on this question. If the question's on women AND children, you can talk about women's role at home, at work, women and children at war and education.

If it's mainly on women, you can talk about how far their roles have changed in agriculture, in the industry, their usual roles (i.e. how they haven't changed in terms of dealing with domestic chores and baby incentives) and in education. Although the factor on education could be swapped with something else.
(edited 10 years ago)

I'm doing US Presidents/Civil Rights too. For presidents, I'm making sure to look at the social issues that haven't really been asked yet; economic policy, class divisions e.t.c. They really like their social themes.
I'm really hoping there's a question about why a president was elected and/or failed to get a second term. It's only come up a few times before, and Bush's elections have not come up before, so it's possible, just unlikely. :/
Reply 116
Original post by Lawlser
Basically, the prices of industrial goods went up by 290% of the 1913 levels whereas the prices of agricultural goods only went up by 89% therefore the peasants incomes fell and people couldn't afford what they used to.

Yea that was the first ever question they asked for Stalin, and on that paper they done a question on whether the strength of the soviet economy was responsible for the WW2 win which they repeated in Jan this year, tenuous link I know - so they might repeat the reasons for FYP in tomorrow, hopefully!!

Ahh, ok, I think I get it, thank you :smile:

I really hope so too now! I don't know, Edexcel aren't particularly imaginative with essay questions so... I don't know. Fingers crossed.
Original post by CinnamonStuff
I'm doing US Presidents/Civil Rights too. For presidents, I'm making sure to look at the social issues that haven't really been asked yet; economic policy, class divisions e.t.c. They really like their social themes.
I'm really hoping there's a question about why a president was elected and/or failed to get a second term. It's only come up a few times before, and Bush's elections have not come up before, so it's possible, just unlikely. :/

Hey, there's another like me! Seems like everyone is doing Stalin...
Yeah, I noticed that. I wouldn't mind Bush I guess. Bush, Clinton or maybe Nixon. I'm gambling on the civil rights being with factors - whether internal/external - that hindered the CRM. Really hoping it's something on those lines. Just need to get Presidency down.
Hey, there's another like me! Seems like everyone is doing Stalin...
Yeah, I noticed that. I wouldn't mind Bush I guess. Bush, Clinton or maybe Nixon. I'm gambling on the civil rights being with factors - whether internal/external - that hindered the CRM. Really hoping it's something on those lines. Just need to get Presidency down.

I'm not looking forward to this. D:
There's just so much to learn and then they only test you on a tiny percentage of it.

For CR, I've looked at hindering factors and stuff too. It seems to be something that hasn't come up much before. I wish it could be 1945-55, but I'm guessing it's unlikely due to how frequently it's come up before. Apparently opposition to CR hasn't been tackled well by students in the past- therefore there's a fair chance it will come up?
Nor am I. I'm ALOT more confident in the Unit 2 exam. The sources make it easier for me, and I just feel I grasp the content much more easier. American history doesn't really appeal to me as much as British. (Woop go Britain!)

Yeah, I saw someone mention exam reports - I'm guessing there's a big chance of it happening. If it doesn't we are all pretty screwed.

Latest

Trending

Trending