The Student Room Group

English 0500 may 15th 2013

Reading paper tomorrow. Any tips guys?
Reply 1
Are you talking about CIE IGCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
yeah. paper 2 reading passages
i'm taking this tomorrow, as well as doing the normal wjec exams next week :smile:

i think the best thing that you can do is just to look at past papers.. i know everyone says this, but it's true!

they're on the website, i printed some out at school today to use for revision.

btw, the board definitely like the 'summarize...' questions, so make sure you can do those! but remember, you can't go over the length requirements because you will get marks knocked off! i have trouble with this..

hope this helps! :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by wassupitstillie
i'm taking this tomorrow, as well as doing the normal wjec exams next week :smile:

i think the best thing that you can do is just to look at past papers.. i know everyone says this, but it's true!

they're on the website, i printed some out at school today to use for revision.

btw, the board definitely like the 'summarize...' questions, so make sure you can do those! but remember, you can't go over the length requirements because you will get marks knocked off! i have trouble with this..

hope this helps! :tongue:

Do you know know if a "page" is a lined page in the booklet? Also, do you know to what extent you need to summarise, I know you need to use your own words but i often find that i summarise too much and don't use the amount of space i was meant to.
Reply 5
Original post by hpforlife
Reading paper tomorrow. Any tips guys?

I want tips too :smile:! I am currently doing past papers from previous years:smile:
Original post by halzmac
Do you know know if a "page" is a lined page in the booklet? Also, do you know to what extent you need to summarise, I know you need to use your own words but i often find that i summarise too much and don't use the amount of space i was meant to.

I do think we have lines in the answer booklet, but don't quote me on this :biggrin:

What I try and do is put two or more points in each sentence, so you can't elaborate much. On one of the past papers I did at school, they wanted us to get 15 points for full marks, so you have to be careful! i have the exact same problem as you! And try and not go over half a page :smile:
so nervous about this exam! our english department only told us we were doing this exam in addition to the normal gcse in english language in february and i feel like i could have done with some more time in lessons practising how to go about answering the question... im really dreading the first question :afraid:
Reply 8
Original post by ChiaraNicole
so nervous about this exam! our english department only told us we were doing this exam in addition to the normal gcse in english language in february and i feel like i could have done with some more time in lessons practising how to go about answering the question... im really dreading the first question :afraid:

That seems really strange but at least the one in February should be quite easy because the international gcse's are much harder :smile:
Reply 9
Who did component 0550/22?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
0500/22 sorry for the mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I found it ok actually, finished half an hour before the end of the test though, don't know if thats bad or good :/

I wrote to the word limits though, so I'm not worrying too much. The first question was worded a bit weird but heeeeeey, I don't think I did that bad. Hoping for an A/A*, FINGERS CROSSED!
Reply 13
Same! I had 25 minutes left. Did you di component 22? The one with the Great Lake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone knows the grade boundaries?
Reply 15
Original post by angelina.c
Anyone knows the grade boundaries?

Last year it was 28/50 for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Since when do they knock marks off for going slightly over the limit? There's additional paper for a reason...I mean, I can understand the summary question but not the other two, surely?
I found it really difficult, I don't think my question one is great :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending