The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Malevolent
Maybe Arsenal should try the Europa league since they're not gonna win the Champions league? Bet they would brag about it if they won it :redface:

Arsenal will take what they can get, it was a long time ago when they last won anything.

Overall I'm very pleased with how this season has panned out. It was looking very unlikely at one stage that we'd make top 4 and any silverware this season was a huge doubt. At first I didn't want Rafa because of his previous records for destroying clubs, but he's managed to turn our season around and I am sad to see him leave us now. It's been a very long season and yet again Chelsea are representing English football by performing well in Europe.
Anybody know where I can watch extended highlights of the game last night?
Maybe Arsenal should try the Europa league since they're not gonna win the Champions league? Bet they would brag about it if they won it :redface:

Beating Benfica, Rubin Karzan, FC Basel, Sparta Prague and Steau Bucharest after being dumped out of the CL by Shakhtar Donetsk is loads to brag about.

Middlesbrough, Fulham and Celtic all came close in recent years so its good that Chelsea went one further and brought back such a prestigious trophy.
Original post by Zürich
Beating Benfica, Rubin Karzan, FC Basel, Sparta Prague and Steau Bucharest after being dumped out of the CL by Shakhtar Donetsk is loads to brag about.

Middlesbrough, Fulham and Celtic all came close in recent years so its good that Chelsea went one further and brought back such a prestigious trophy.

Saw that you had replied to this thread and predicted this post pretty much word-for-word :lol:

I hate Chelsea to the core, but man, can't sniff at a trophy. Nothing beats the feeling of seeing your captain lift the silverware, whatever it may be.
Original post by Zürich

Its a trophy never the less. Why should Chelsea have discarded it and viewed it as nothing.?

Reason why its lost some of its prestige is because people have that attitude. Lets just play our youngsters, don't give a crap about EL. I applaud Chelsea for winning it. Its a trophy at the end of the day.
(edited 10 years ago)
Lampaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Lampaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally the right thing happened :h:
THANK GOD FOR THIS . Never been happier that Lamps has a new contract !!
Reply 2569
Rafa has done amazing with you. Still lost some games you should have won (Club World Cup is one) but considering none of the players are his buys and he's been there the shorter end of 6 months it's pretty good.. Higher points total than Di Matteo, won you the EL whereas Di Matteo got you knocked out of the CL with a game left, never won the super cup, never won the charity shield etc etc.

And if anybody seriously thinks Di Matteo is a better manager they want their heads looking at.
Its a trophy never the less. Why should Chelsea have discarded it and viewed it as nothing.?

Reason why its lost some of its prestige is because people have that attitude. Lets just play our youngsters, don't give a crap about EL. I applaud Chelsea for winning it. Its a trophy at the end of the day.

Of course its worth winning but keep perspective. Its lost prestige because its a trophy for Portuguese teams, 2nd rate Spanish teams and assorted teams from **** leagues like Ajax and Rubin Karzan. FFS even Middlesborough/Fulham had a go at it a few years back.

I'd probably put the Europa League as slightly above the FA cup in terms of prestige, although you'd probably need to beat at least 2 good teams to win the FA.
Original post by rockrunride
Saw that you had replied to this thread and predicted this post pretty much word-for-word :lol:

I hate Chelsea to the core, but man, can't sniff at a trophy. Nothing beats the feeling of seeing your captain lift the silverware, whatever it may be.

I completely agree but not all trophies are of equal worth. If youd offered Chelsea progression to the knock out stages of the CL or a guaranteed win of the EL then they wouldnt have even had to think about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2571
Original post by Zürich
Of course its worth winning but keep perspective. Its lost prestige because its a trophy for Portuguese teams, 2nd rate Spanish teams and assorted teams from **** leagues like Ajax and Rubin Karzan. FFS even Middlesborough/Fulham had a go at it a few years back.

I'd probably put the Europa League as slightly above the FA cup in terms of prestige, although you'd probably need to beat at least 2 good teams to win the FA.

Would you rather win at least one of every trophy or spend years pursuing only the big trophies which you have no chance of winning? *Cough*Arsenal*Cough*. I know which a player, a fan and the manager would prefer.
Knew Chelsea would come to their senses, 1 year extension is good enough for me :smile:
Reply 2573
Original post by Zürich

Completely worth bragging about to annoy Arsenal fans, how bitter some of your lot are is so pathetic it's hilarious :laugh:

Although we all know why Arsenal fans are so bitter, yeah this whole Emirates project is an excuse for not challenging the league or CL, but it's a BS excuse as to why they haven't won the FA Cup/CCC, not like they haven't had the quality. Wigan and Swansea won those two trophies this year ffs. All you lot had to do was beat a League 2 side and a ridiculously out of form Aston Villa and you were in the Capital One Cup final...but you lost to Bradford. It's as if after a certain stage Arsene says "that's enough guys, we'll try again next year". I think a year in the EL would do Arsenal some good, we didn't even bring our A game to the final and we still won, so I don't see why Arsenal couldn't win it.
Original post by This Honest
Knew Chelsea would come to their senses, 1 year extension is good enough for me :smile:

:yep:

PRSOM

Original post by billybo_h

AT LAST!!! :party:

(disgraceful that this has taken so long :rolleyes: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by This Honest

Wonderful news. :yeah:
Reply 2576
Original post by The Assassin
lol Musester has been banned once again... I assume for the comments he always makes in the Arsenal thread but even then I don't think that's bad considering what they all say with regards to Chelsea. :s-smilie:

Don't really give a **** anymore now though -- it's become routine to bash Chelsea every time the club achieves success or seems to be on the road to it. No matter the arguments it's all the same. Although I admire you guys trying (jam/multitalented and KingMessi in the past).

"But the Europa league is hardly success - not sure why you're think it's an achievement. I would hate if a club like Arsenal won a competition like that. It's almost sad winning such a pointless competition. Unlike them though, we can sell out the cup final games with ease" Yap yap yap... :rolleyes:

I've never seen a more partizan thread than that arsenal thread. But anyway, onwards and upwards for next season, this club likes to stress me out but one thing you can't fault the club for is our work ethic, when the going gets tough(like it has been for the past 3 seasons) the players will sweat it out and get a victory.

We've been dominated in 2 cup finals and 30mins of the FA cup final in the past year and we still won it. That deserves credit for mental strength.
Chelsea FC - writing our history, not remembering it :yy:
Reply 2578
Original post by Nickini
Completely worth bragging about to annoy Arsenal fans, how bitter some of your lot are is so pathetic it's hilarious :laugh:

Although we all know why Arsenal fans are so bitter, yeah this whole Emirates project is an excuse for not challenging the league or CL, but it's a BS excuse as to why they haven't won the FA Cup/CCC, not like they haven't had the quality. Wigan and Swansea won those two trophies this year ffs. All you lot had to do was beat a League 2 side and a ridiculously out of form Aston Villa and you were in the Capital One Cup final...but you lost to Bradford. It's as if after a certain stage Arsene says "that's enough guys, we'll try again next year". I think a year in the EL would do Arsenal some good, we didn't even bring our A game to the final and we still won, so I don't see why Arsenal couldn't win it.

It's not going to go through.
Original post by The Assassin
lol Musester has been banned once again... I assume for the comments he always makes in the Arsenal thread but even then I don't think that's bad considering what they all say with regards to Chelsea. :s-smilie:

Don't really give a **** anymore now though -- it's become routine to bash Chelsea every time the club achieves success or seems to be on the road to it. No matter the arguments it's all the same. Although I admire you guys trying (jam/multitalented and KingMessi in the past).

"But the Europa league is hardly success - not sure why you're think it's an achievement. I would hate if a club like Arsenal won a competition like that. It's almost sad winning such a pointless competition. Unlike them though, we can sell out the cup final games with ease" Yap yap yap... :rolleyes:
Cheers :hat2: I do like a bit of banter but it's quite obvious they're really bitter about our successes & that just leaves a bad taste to me, it's not really in good humour. I'm just trying to defend my club at the end of the day :badger:

Latest