The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by senz72
Imagine a tournament between different leagues.
Yes it has many flaws but I think it be great!
EPL XI, Erdivisie XI, La Liga XI, Serie A XI, La Ligue XI, Primeira Liga XI, Bundesliga XI and Russian Premier League/Turkish Super League or any other leagues.

Each squad can only consist of a maximum of 2 players from each club.

This is an excellent idea. :sexface:
Would pay to see that.

Original post by senz72
If it had an input into the UEFA coefficients then it increases the incentive but that's it I guess.

This would be a great incentive to the sub-top leagues such as the Eredivisie, and the leagues in Portugal, Turkey and Russia.

Original post by senz72
Mourinho has left. Maybe to Chelsea then?

Is the Pope Catholic?
Reply 261
Original post by boumavilla
This is an excellent idea. :sexface:
Would pay to see that.

This would be a great incentive to the sub-top leagues such as the Eredivisie, and the leagues in Portugal, Turkey and Russia.

Is the Pope Catholic?

True, it's obvious.
Yeah, it would be good for other leagues. Imagine like a qualifying group for the 8th place in the tournament between leagues that don't perform as well in Europe E.g. Belgian Pro League. :smile:
Original post by senz72
True, it's obvious.
Yeah, it would be good for other leagues. Imagine like a qualifying group for the 8th place in the tournament between leagues that don't perform as well in Europe E.g. Belgian Pro League. :smile:

Exactly! :biggrin:

Leagues such as this one need the European football in order to gain money, so they can then become a stronger league as a whole!

Most football fans don't realise the importance of European football or its impact in other countries.
Reply 263
Original post by boumavilla
Exactly! :biggrin:

Leagues such as this one need the European football in order to gain money, so they can then become a stronger league as a whole!

Most football fans don't realise the importance of European football or its impact in other countries.

True. The income, the incentive to keep players (Falcao has more incentive to stay with AM) and so on.
Great interview with Jurgen Klopp.

He's a major reason as to why neutrals want Dortmund to win; he exhumes a colourful and likeable charisma and I think he might spurn the advances of other teams to stay with Dortmund.
Reply 265
Original post by ra-ra-ra

So James and Moutinho finally set to leave Porto?? Looks like Monaco might be their destination... strange since just yesterday Moutinho was saying he didn't want to leave Porto.

Should be an interesting transfer window this time.. Porto are going to go through some big changes.. Jackson is still a mystery as well..
Original post by aa22
So James and Moutinho finally set to leave Porto?? Looks like Monaco might be their destination... strange since just yesterday Moutinho was saying he didn't want to leave Porto.

Should be an interesting transfer window this time.. Porto are going to go through some big changes.. Jackson is still a mystery as well..

Just waiting for it to be confirmed now... seems like it will be a done deal very very soon! €70m for both, so €35 each. Not really the destination i expected either to go to but that's a huge amount of money and we simply cannot turn that down! Not the right place for either IMO but if it's more money and no European football then.. so be it. At least the offer is a decent offer from our point of view.

Looks like Porto are raiding Estoril now. It's a shame... after the great achievement of reaching Europe (same applies to Paços too) it was obvious their players would get picked up... Would have been nice to see what they could have done in Europe though with the squad they had +improvements.

Also, VP has been offered a contract by both Porto and Everton...
The purchase of Moutinho and Rodriguez has been announced on Monaco's website so I guess it's official now.

That's a pretty impressive and hefty fee for Porto to bank tbfh.
£38m for James Rodriguez...:s-smilie:?
Can't wait to see monaco in the CL the year after next year. Revenge for 04, with a competent manager we won't be playing azpilicueta at centre back and doing stupid trolling subs in a CL semi final. :facepalm2:

Although we'd be expecting that from monaco that's for sure. :colonhash:
Original post by ra-ra-ra

Also, VP has been offered a contract by both Porto and Everton...

I have seen him linked with Everton in the press a lot and I don't understand why he would go there, I'd say it's a very significant step down from a side who are regular champions and CL participants to a side who have to have a good season to even challenge for Europe.
£60m for Rodrigues and Moutinho and they get a big fee for Hulk last summer it was. So they've got a big balance to re-invest in the squad but they seem to buy unheralded players at a fraction and then sell them for big euros so it's working for them.
Porto%u00252BTransfers%2Bv2.jpg

+ Falcao for 40mil last year
and now another 60mil

Those are some impressive sales numbers!
Reply 273
Original post by Zerforax

and now another 60mil

So many of them are pretty crap and unimpressive players as well.
Original post by Zerforax

and now another 60mil

Whenever I see such sums of money I shake just my head. No player in the whole is it worth to spend so much money. If the commercialization goes on in football, then I'm afraid that 100 millions of transfer fee are common very soon. I can remember me there were times (mid-nineties), in which there were such sums of money very rarely, 20 millions was normally the highest. I can remember me that the Bundesliga has never paid such sums of moneys at that time, nevertheless the teams were quite successful. That was an aspect which made me happy. But in the last 6 years, the Bundesliga with FC Bayern leading the way has overrun this border of money step by step to be at the same level with the best leagues in Europe in terms of transfer fees. 40 millions transfer fee for Martinez in this season, and now 37 millions for Götze. I miss the old times in which football was not surfeited like today, not a golden cow which is milked unless milk was used up. Of course, the commercialization had existed at that time too, but it was not so bad by far!
Reply 275
You know, if porto weren't selling players for high sums every year, they wouldn't be able to stay profitable. The money that both porto and Benfica have been making in the last few years helps to keep them in the green and without it they would have trouble even paying wages.

That's why they keep buying cheap youngsters and then keep selling them a few years later. Going off and buying a 15-20m player is not possible for teams in Portugal.
Original post by aa22
You know, if porto weren't selling players for high sums every year, they wouldn't be able to stay profitable. The money that both porto and Benfica have been making in the last few years helps to keep them in the green and without it they would have trouble even paying wages.

That's why they keep buying cheap youngsters and then keep selling them a few years later. Going off and buying a 15-20m player is not possible for teams in Portugal.

I like the way both teams go about their business in fact, it allows them to be competitive in europe too. It's kind of sad how only a few countries monopolise football. Would like it to be more even than it is now with many superclubs.
Original post by Kallisto
Whenever I see such sums of money I shake just my head. No player in the whole is it worth to spend so much money. If the commercialization goes on in football, then I'm afraid that 100 millions of transfer fee are common very soon. I can remember me there were times (mid-nineties), in which there were such sums of money very rarely, 20 millions was normally the highest. I can remember me that the Bundesliga has never paid such sums of moneys at that time, nevertheless the teams were quite successful. That was an aspect which made me happy. But in the last 6 years, the Bundesliga with FC Bayern leading the way has overrun this border of money step by step to be at the same level with the best leagues in Europe in terms of transfer fees. 40 millions transfer fee for Martinez in this season, and now 37 millions for Götze. I miss the old times in which football was not surfeited like today, not a golden cow which is milked unless milk was used up. Of course, the commercialization had existed at that time too, but it was not so bad by far!

I support a team similar to the one you describe, but I do hate it too.
Personally they should put in a money cap if they really want it to be more even and stop tax evasion and illegal deals from teams such as real madrid.
Original post by aa22

No surprise. Both the wages and the transfer fees were increased vast in the last twenty years. It shocked me to see this excessiveness in comparison to everyday life of people, not to mention the financial problems in European countries, not to mention the financial problems in certain regions of a country. I'm afraid that football as popular sport is sinking more and more into oblivion.
Original post by jam277

Personally they should put in a money cap if they really want it to be more even and stop tax evasion and illegal deals from teams such as real madrid.

Personally I see any sort of salary/transfer cap completely unworkable, especially across the whole of Europe / the world, there is just to big a difference bewteen what the big clubs earn compared to what the small clubs do.

On a completely unrelated note Brazil's Serie A starts tonight and from this season on whoscored.com will have full stats relating to it :biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest