The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Could anyone summarise the types Isomers and how to deduce how many isomers can be drawn?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Could anyone summarise the types Isomers and how to deduce how many isomers can be drawn?

Posted from TSR Mobile

structural - same molecular formula different structural arrangement
stereoisomerism - same structural formula different arrangement in space
e/z - type of stereoisomeism 2 different groups attached to each carbon atom
cis-trans - type of e/z in which 2 of the groups are hydrogen and the other 2 are non-hydrogen.
e/z and cis trans occur due to restricted rotation around the carbon carbon double bond

there really is no way to work out how many isomers there are, you just have to draw them all out. if theres a question asking u to number how many there are then just guess, if its got a really long molecular formula its gonna take u way too long to figure it out and its only 1 mark. guessing somewhere between 5-10 is quite safe.
Reply 382
In my book it says "methanol can be produced from biomass". Is it only methanol that is made from biomass? How about other kinds of alcohol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wndms
In my book it says "methanol can be produced from biomass". Is it only methanol that is made from biomass? How about other kinds of alcohol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biomass releases methane which then can be reacted with water vapour (steam) and therefore produce methanol :smile: I think that's correct lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys as silly as this is i haven't started revision for f322 (been ill and other exams ) and I'm being overwhelmed by the content as I presently try and make a timetable for it ? Anytips on how to cram or any predictions on what will come up ? Please and thankyou xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo
Hi guys as silly as this is i haven't started revision for f322 (been ill and other exams ) and I'm being overwhelmed by the content as I presently try and make a timetable for it ? Anytips on how to cram or any predictions on what will come up ? Please and thankyou xx
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry about it, there's many over people in the same position
I haven't started yet either due to having 3 retakes!

Which bits are you finding hard? I think it's best if you cover the first part (Hydrocarbons) because in my opinion it's the longest part!

Alcohols and Analysis needs to be your 2nd Priority because alcohols can be pretty tricky, the mechanisms need to be learnt also because they hold a lot of marks in the exam. In the Jan 2013 paper there was a 14 mark question on two reaction mechanisms! Resources can be easily covered in a day or two.
Reply 386
Oh my God I do not understand Mass Spec or IR Spec at all! How do I even go about approaching one of those long 10 mark questions?! Someone please help? :confused::confused::confused::s-smilie:
Original post by Sid101
Oh my God I do not understand Mass Spec or IR Spec at all! How do I even go about approaching one of those long 10 mark questions?! Someone please help? :confused::confused::confused::s-smilie:

I feel exactly the same if that's any consolation, them and reaction mechanisms I can't get my head round at all! Unfortunately they seem to be the big mark questions... Sorry I can't help though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 388
This is my only exam left and i have about 12 days to revise for it
I have to do well in this unit, it'll really boost my grade and make A2 easier hopefully
I also have ****ty physics and after Mondays exam I've lost hope on physics in general
:frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Geronimo!
I have to do well in this unit, it'll really boost my grade and make A2 easier hopefully
I also have ****ty physics and after Mondays exam I've lost hope on physics in general
:frown:

i know i have bio too its a nightmare. if we lost like 5/6 marks in the first chem, what do you think we need in this one to get an A?
Original post by Sara_A
This is my only exam left and i have about 12 days to revise for it

lucky!
Reply 392
Original post by ellemcjelly
i know i have bio too its a nightmare. if we lost like 5/6 marks in the first chem, what do you think we need in this one to get an A?

you'd need about 85, based on past grade boundaries.
Reply 393
Is this paper out of 100?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blashnet
you'd need about 85, based on past grade boundaries.

I had a look at the paper in class and it looks like I've got about 43marks but in the practical I've got 39/40. So my teacher said I need about 85+ to get an A if that helps. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImAz
Is this paper out of 100?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 396
I'm really nervous for this paper... :/

i got 37/40 for my practical
and 72 UMS for jan paper

I need like 80% to get an A :frown:
Reply 397
Original post by Blashnet
I'm really nervous for this paper... :/

i got 37/40 for my practical
and 72 UMS for jan paper

I need like 80% to get an A :frown:

I need like 95% for an A haha :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody know if or where I can find the Jan 2013 paper?
Reply 399
Original post by ImAz
I need like 95% for an A haha :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh no! what did you get in January?

Latest

Trending

Trending