The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In cracking when you break the c-c bond is this homolytic or heterolytic?
Reply 541
Original post by needtosucceed=)
that's right but you need 240 for an A not 230 :smile:

Haha I do maths aswell, what a fail :colondollar:
Original post by Farringtonn
In cracking when you break the c-c bond is this homolytic or heterolytic?

neither? I don't think we have to know how it breaks :smile:
Reply 543
Actually dreading this exam. Not because I don't enjoy chemistry but because I have unit 2 biology and psychology and left revision to last minute. Do we have to learn the Hess law pathways for enthalpy change of combustion and formation? Or can we use a formula?
neither? I don't think we have to know how it breaks :smile:

Oh ok thanks
Reply 545
Original post by SheriB
Actually dreading this exam. Not because I don't enjoy chemistry but because I have unit 2 biology and psychology and left revision to last minute. Do we have to learn the Hess law pathways for enthalpy change of combustion and formation? Or can we use a formula?

Im not really sure what you mean about hess' law pathways, just remember that if you are dealing with values for enthalpy of formation, write the reaction across top, and then draw an 'elements' box below, draw arrows from this box to both the reactants and products, the arrows will represent the enthalpy of formation of whatever the arrow is pointing to.
e.g take
CH4+H20->CO+3H2

Elements

drawing arrows from the elements to reactants and products, if its combustion values its the opposite, and the arrows face downwards towards the combustion products.
if you don't get my explanation then ocr purple book page 201 has a little blue box explaining it :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope that's clear enough. Basically you draw lines coming from the reactants and products. Carbon has an enthalpy change of formation of 0 so u just kinda ignore it, thats why i put it in brackets. So to make CO, it takes -111, which is the enthalpy change from C+0.5o2..then to make CO + N2 it takes -193, and this can only be made from n20 + carbon. It doesnt look like a normal hess's law cycle because you havent got individual compounds, ur given whole equations so you have to use this kind of cycle. then to work out the enthalpy change you make the arrows in one direction = to the arrow(s) in the other direction and rearrange.
a question similar to this came up before, but it had already drawn the cycle for u and u had to add in the values for the enthalpy changes from given equations. my explanation sucks but I hope you kinda get it now.

Hi, sorry I'm a bit confused why the arrows go down when I've seen the arrows going up for formation. Can you explain when the arrows go up or down?
Original post by .raiden.
Hi, sorry I'm a bit confused why the arrows go down when I've seen the arrows going up for formation. Can you explain when the arrows go up or down?

hi it's fine lol, my explanation was rubbish! it's not a normal hess's law cycle so ignore the rule that when you've got formation values the arrows go up and when you have combustion values the arrows go down :smile:
Original post by zoep23
Im not really sure what you mean about hess' law pathways, just remember that if you are dealing with values for enthalpy of formation, write the reaction across top, and then draw an 'elements' box below, draw arrows from this box to both the reactants and products, the arrows will represent the enthalpy of formation of whatever the arrow is pointing to.
e.g take
CH4+H20->CO+3H2

Elements

drawing arrows from the elements to reactants and products, if its combustion values its the opposite, and the arrows face downwards towards the combustion products.
if you don't get my explanation then ocr purple book page 201 has a little blue box explaining it :smile:

do you mean for combustion values the arrows go downwards towards the elements? :smile:
hi it's fine lol, my explanation was rubbish! it's not a normal hess's law cycle so ignore the rule that when you've got formation values the arrows go up and when you have combustion values the arrows go down :smile:

Okay thanks! I no longer think I am lost with enthalpies :tongue:
Reply 550
Anybody have a definitions list ??? would be very useful!
do you mean for combustion values the arrows go downwards towards the elements? :smile:

For combustion arrows go down to combustion products not elements, usually co2 + h2o.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
Peeps who wants to revise?

Questions anyone :smile:
Original post by .raiden.
For combustion arrows go down to combustion products not elements, usually co2 + h2o.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

I mean they just go in a downwards direction generally
I mean they just go in a downwards direction generally

Oh ok :redface:
Original post by Joseph-
Anybody have a definitions list ??? would be very useful!

found these from a google search :smile:
Original post by krishkmistry
The first part is brilliant - thanks for sharing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem
Reply 557
I just cannot get my head around hess's law....is there a formula for this?
Original post by Sara_A
I just cannot get my head around hess's law....is there a formula for this?

Ditto 😫and its a major component of the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 559
Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo
Ditto 😫and its a major component of the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know :'(....by doing some past papers i get some questions on hess's law right but some wrong because i dont clearly understand it

Latest

Trending

Trending