The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3040
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22684637

Benitez to Napoli is official. Quite pleased for him, he deserves a decent job after his work here.
Original post by Nickini
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22684637

Benitez to Napoli is official. Quite pleased for him, he deserves a decent job after his work here.

Aye, kudos to him :yy:
You do realise that Chelsea will play Napoli next season in the CL? Whether it be in the groups or the knock-out round..

Especially if Mourinho is appointed as manager of Chelsea - so much history between the two managers.
Reply 3043
Original post by Zerforax
You do realise that Chelsea will play Napoli next season in the CL? Whether it be in the groups or the knock-out round..

Especially if Mourinho is appointed as manager of Chelsea - so much history between the two managers.

May play them next season. But it will make for an interesting tie. Benitez has unfinished business at serie A as well tbh.
Original post by KingMessi
Boasting about 'history' is just a nonsense, anyway. I cannot fathom why any football fan feels that there is some sort of inherent merit in their club having been successful years before they were born.

That's what I used to say to the Liverpool fans on here years ago when they wouldn't shut up. Perhaps history has something going for it so clubs could perhaps attract players that they otherwise wouldn't have done but I've never seen a player confirm that. Yes, how dare football fans choose to support a club that doesn't have the most honours. Goodness gracious. What, so when I was picking up an interest in football I was supposed to look at those funky Merlin sticker albums and pick the one who has won the most now?

Original post by jam277
Yeah, twitter does seem to be the place for some of the most asinine of people. Didn't know the plastic flags was a club rule though?
Had to be a liverpool fan who complains about it. Although they can just look at germany and they do it fine. Standing stadiums would be great in england but it'll never happen.

Years ago I emailed a fan representative or something and she told me it was for health ans safety grounds, although this was before the stupid plastic flags came about. Yeah because getting to Stamford Bridge with the London Underground is super spacious and football clubs are permitted to allow fans to travel on ro-ro ferries. Nobody has died from all seater stadiums but fans put their lives at risk from using cheap travel as those who were on the Harald of Free Enterprise in 1987 found out. Not sure if the person was a Liverpool fan but I think she's the head of a charity for the Hillsbrough tragedy. Nobody is forcing Liverpool to get rid of seated areas. I remember watching Fulham play years ago with my dad and they had an all standing area we were placed in and there were no problems. I went to the Celtic friendly years ago and they had flags all by the seats. It might have started with the Barcelona match when both Cech and Cudicini went out so we had Hilario in goal and the board decided to stick with the idea. I was at that game too. We have two non-plastic ones AFAIK - there's a large flag used occasionally that appears to be fan owned and it's too big to be made from plastic (or at least it's 'organic') and there's the Pride of London banner that gets moved around SB at times. Not sure if these are fan owned and the club keeps them.

Germany has it right in a lot of areas but I guess that's what happens when they're run by football people as supposed to businessmen. At least they won't have some drunk plank like Dave Richards. They're too wise for that.

RE: tweet. It's probably the most stupid thing I've heard to date and I've heard a lot of stupid ****.
Reply 3045
Apparently we've made a move for Cavani.

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2013/5/28/4371072/edinson-cavani-chelsea-transfer-rumours

Obviously just one of many rumours to come mind, but thoughts?
Reply 3046
Is he under third party ownership?
I'm a fan of him but it's a bit excessive, better be showing torres the door then.
Original post by jam277
May play them next season. But it will make for an interesting tie. Benitez has unfinished business at serie A as well tbh.

Very true, he'll be determined to prove a point against Inter at the very least.

Tall order to catch up to Juventus though and I'd imagine both Milan teams will spend to catch up.
Reply 3048
http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/5/27/4369444/chelsea-on-the-cusp-of-signing-marco-van-ginkel

Marco van Ginkel has been making the headlines lately. Anyone seen this kid play before? I read somewhere he's almost ready to take a place in our midfield. Though, I didn't think too much into that.
Lol I love that URL - often makes me laugh.

Don't really want Cavani but if we must... I'd rather spend more money on another winger + midfielder. Don't watch Dutch football so I don't know how good this guy is, unfortunately.
Reply 3050
Original post by Zerforax
Very true, he'll be determined to prove a point against Inter at the very least.

Tall order to catch up to Juventus though and I'd imagine both Milan teams will spend to catch up.

I reckon he would be battling with inter for third place, his job would be made much easier if they keep hold of cavani and hamsik though. How are their financial situation i.e. their transfer kitty this summer?

Inter is a weird case, I reckon they'll be up for a top 3 spot with mazzari though. I think benitez should use the napoli job as a stop gap as he'll struggle to get into the CL consistently once inter get back up there.
Apparently Monaco are looking to buy Ivanovic for 25m... :lol:
Original post by jam277
I reckon he would be battling with inter for third place, his job would be made much easier if they keep hold of cavani and hamsik though. How are their financial situation i.e. their transfer kitty this summer?

Inter is a weird case, I reckon they'll be up for a top 3 spot with mazzari though. I think benitez should use the napoli job as a stop gap as he'll struggle to get into the CL consistently once inter get back up there.

You underrate Napoli so much.
Original post by jam277

It's difficult to call Serie A for Next season. Juve will win the whole thing. Napoli have a quality team but Cavani isn't key to scoring goals for them, the reason why he scores so much is because of the quality players behind him. Hamsik will stay, so if Rafa buys a decent striker and a new GK Napoli will finish second.

I don't rate Inter to make top 3, they'll be luck to get Europa League, their still rebuilding they cant afford the additional quality in the window. AC Milan will add the quality, I reckon AC and Napoli will challenge for the title.
Inter have faded big time.
The Italian league in itself is not very good - lacks energy and something unique/special which all the other leagues have.
One factor why the Italian league is in a gradual decline is the fact that all of the Italian old guards are now on the virge of retiring.
The only 1 player I can name who is actually below the age of 26 for Italy is Balloteli.
It's actually scary to realize that there are no Italian players in the EPL. (correct me if I'm on wrong)
Reply 3055
Original post by TheInvincibles14
You underrate Napoli so much.

Not even. They have a good squad. But I remember those people last season telling me that napoli were better than chelsea because of their front 3 and we all saw how that turned out when they came to stamford bridge and got spanked 4-1 because our manager actually knew tactics than doing a stupid ass highline all game. If anything everyone overrates napoli.

Anyway besides the point Milan obviously improved massively with a transition squad and balotelli coming in, so they will be infront of napoli next season challenging juve for the title. Wrt inter it all depends on whether they can get their transition going smoothly but tbh I see them coming 4th or something next season with napoli 3rd.

But hey I underrate napoli. Milan improved majorly with balotelli and have a very young squad in transition that underwent one of their worst starts to a season and their best CB's and striker leaving, juve are the strongest team by a good distance, I guess I can't say that napoli will likely come third next season...
Reply 3056
Original post by cleveradam
Inter have faded big time.
The Italian league in itself is not very good - lacks energy and something unique/special which all the other leagues have.
One factor why the Italian league is in a gradual decline is the fact that all of the Italian old guards are now on the virge of retiring.
The only 1 player I can name who is actually below the age of 26 for Italy is Balloteli.
It's actually scary to realize that there are no Italian players in the EPL. (correct me if I'm on wrong)

First thing right.
Second thing well depends on the team but yes not as physical as the prem.
Third thing is bull****. El shawaary, de sciglio come to mind, verrati from PSG too.
No quality italian players, but that has been the case. Only italian with a league title since the PL started in 1993 is balotelli, despite italy winning the world cup, winning the CL 2 times in 5 years between 03-07 they stay in their league. Can say the same thing with english players in la liga.

Original post by sevchenko
It's difficult to call Serie A for Next season. Juve will win the whole thing. Napoli have a quality team but Cavani isn't key to scoring goals for them, the reason why he scores so much is because of the quality players behind him. Hamsik will stay, so if Rafa buys a decent striker and a new GK Napoli will finish second.

I don't rate Inter to make top 3, they'll be luck to get Europa League, their still rebuilding they cant afford the additional quality in the window. AC Milan will add the quality, I reckon AC and Napoli will challenge for the title.

I guess so. Although mazzari is clearly a great manager, who got sampdoria on the map and also got napoli in this position right now. So that's a big factor. Plus anyway inter suffered major injuries in the second half of the season, if all their players are fit next season I could see them making a challenge for top 3. I think they'll come 4th though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3057
Original post by The Assassin
Apparently Monaco are looking to buy Ivanovic for 25m... :lol:

Would sell in a hearbeat. I love ivan but 25 for him I'd sell in a heartbeat and get another CB.
Original post by jam277
Would sell in a hearbeat. I love ivan but 25 for him I'd sell in a heartbeat and get another CB.

Same even though I really don't think Ivan is worth that much. Not sure why the Monaco owner wouldn't rather spend the money on someone like Vertonghen who's better + younger. Who would you replace him with btw?

I should probably delete this post soon in case the owner reads this :ninja:
Original post by jam277
Not even. They have a good squad. But I remember those people last season telling me that napoli were better than chelsea because of their front 3 and we all saw how that turned out when they came to stamford bridge and got spanked 4-1 because our manager actually knew tactics than doing a stupid ass highline all game. If anything everyone overrates napoli.

Anyway besides the point Milan obviously improved massively with a transition squad and balotelli coming in, so they will be infront of napoli next season challenging juve for the title. Wrt inter it all depends on whether they can get their transition going smoothly but tbh I see them coming 4th or something next season with napoli 3rd.

But hey I underrate napoli. Milan improved majorly with balotelli and have a very young squad in transition that underwent one of their worst starts to a season and their best CB's and striker leaving, juve are the strongest team by a good distance, I guess I can't say that napoli will likely come third next season...

Yeah true. But your making it seem as if Inter are going to charge back up to the top next season, which clearly isn't the case. Mazzari is a good manager don't get me wrong but their squad is poor so they will be in a transition season. While if Napoli keep hold of Hamsik and Cavani they will be up there again. You also have to add in the fact that Rafa is a good manager so they will almost certainly finish in the top three. I need to find out what Napoli's transfer budget is cause if they have a decent amount then things could get interesting, I think they will be fighting it out with Milan for second. Milan need to buy a lot of players to challenge for the title, annoying thing with Serie A is that Juve are ahead of everyone else but then the teams behind them are quite even. Need the likes of Inter, Milan and Napoli to make additions and then it will get extremely interesting :wink:

Latest