The Student Room Group

Higher Geography

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by deedee123
Did it say to refer to a specific example of new industry? I just gave a few examples, i don't have a proper case study for that. For the second part i did wales & england in general

Yeah biosphere was all right, my diagram was crap though, i didn't know where to point everything haha

yeah same, mine was pretty scrappy but the limestone and scree slope question was gooood! Thanks, yeah I dont think it hsould matter too much as long as like flat land communications investment labour force are all mentioned!
How did everyone find it? I did questions 5 and 7 on hydrosphere and population. I thought it was actually a really nice paper - nothing difficult, apart from atmosphere!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the first question in Development and Health, where were the marks allocated? I didn't suggest my indicators fully, I just did "Life expectancy, Literacy Rate, Average income, GNP per capita." How many marks would I get for that?
Reply 483
Exam was relatively straight forward. Paper 2 questions were a gift, I wanted to kiss the invigilators when I saw the differences were between developing countries. 17 mark malaria question = get in!!! Glaciation was great as well apart from I thought I would do formation of U-shaped valley because I finished 15 minutes early for paper 2, when I started writing it I realise I knew diddly squat about u-shaped valleys haha, I think I wrote 4 lines like flowing through former valleys, hanging valleys formed, truncated spurs formed, steep sides and flat bottom, misfit stream. Basically all I wrote :lol: For part C on RLR I didn't realise it said for any upland OR coastal area, I just presume all would be upland, so I could of done coastal for conflicts but hey-ho what can you do!

In paper 1 I couldn't do urban map question, I was like wth do I do, I basically just described inner city and suburbs then said what is different "large spaces as less demand for land" however I don't think I've done that well on that question :lol: And the first rural question, I was like HOW DO I GET 8 MARKS FROM THAT? WHAT IN GODS NAME? but apart from that it was good.

P.s. anyone notice how sneaky SQA were by putting lithosphere up AGAIN and atmosphere when everyone predicted other two :colone: For the optional questions I done population and hydrosphere mainly because, river on a map = easy marks and meander for 6 marks = easy marks! And population, because I like population pyramids and I don't like industry :tongue:
Reply 484
Original post by NorrisChuck
For the first question in Development and Health, where were the marks allocated? I didn't suggest my indicators fully, I just did "Life expectancy, Literacy Rate, Average income, GNP per capita." How many marks would I get for that?

4 marks probably because you usually get allocated marks like: Birth rate (1) per 1000 population (1) and so on
Original post by NorrisChuck

i found this question weird, it said "name fully" what does that even mean? I just explained them anyway
Reply 486
i found this question weird, it said "name fully" what does that even mean? I just explained them anyway

Basically name 4, I said "Birth day per 1000 population" "Life expectancy per 100 population" "GDP per capita of US dollars" "Percentage of population employed in agriculture"
Original post by CSM1996
Basically name 4, I said "Birth day per 1000 population" "Life expectancy per 100 population" "GDP per capita of US dollars" "Percentage of population employed in agriculture"

oh right, it seems like a lot of marks for nothing :tongue:
Reply 488
Hey guys, I found the exam great however See Development and Health question in paper 2 Question 6 B where it said to talk about developing countries and differences like that i did it within a developing country and not between so how much marks would i gain or lose or if i do get any marks :biggrin: THANKS
Reply 489
oh right, it seems like a lot of marks for nothing :tongue:

You normally get 2 marks for saying the indicator when it is "describe indicators..."

Original post by 2013exams
Hey guys, I found the exam great however See Development and Health question in paper 2 Question 6 B where it said to talk about developing countries and differences like that i did it within a developing country and not between so how much marks would i gain or lose or if i do get any marks :biggrin: THANKS

Eh you might get 1 or 2 but I doubt you will get a lot!
I didn't like the fact that we had to explain 2 limestone features in Q1. I was only prepared for the underground ones.
I didn't like the fact that I had to choose between Hydrosphere and Biosphere :frown: Two great topics I was prepared for, and I had to abandon one of them...
For the scree slopes I draw a diagram and wrote some thing about frost shattering and plucking. Atmosphere was OK is guess, so was Urban.

For the optional I chose Biosphere ( :heart: )and Population. I didn't like the Population questions, I wasn't sure what to write.

RBM question were shi**, I was hoping to see a dam site question and I wasn't prepared for the political problems :frown:
D&H on the other hand was AMAZING! except the first question. 8 marks for 4 indications? I just explained them :confused:

Anyway the paper itself was great! Nothing too hard
Original post by 2013exams

you'll get a maximum of 6/12

Overall I thought it was very decent. There was nothing in there that was particularly obscure or difficult and i didn't have to do a hydrosphere question :banana::banana:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 492
Well that was interesting. I actually think I did worse in Development and Health than in Rural Land Resources but all in all it was OK, could've been better could've been worse. Hoping for atleast a B
How many marks do you think I could get for Q1 if I described Underground feature fully and just wrote a sentence or two for the surface one?
If there any chance I could get more than 6 marks?
The exam was quite good. Atmosphere wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I'm glad population was an optional one because I know nothing about that. Rural Land Resources I rambled quite a bit about conflicts but I think they were okay. and for Development and health I put gdp, gnp, literacy rates and disease rates but I sort of explained them and it didn't make much sense. It was better then I thought it would be but I wish there had been coasts because thats really easy and for RLR I know about dorset more than the lake district because I couldn't find my lake district notes I only had half of them.
Reply 495
Original post by Nessie162
How many marks do you think I could get for Q1 if I described Underground feature fully and just wrote a sentence or two for the surface one?
If there any chance I could get more than 6 marks?

It will probably be like "Maximum of 8 for one feature" as if you do swallow hole, you don't get 6 marks probably, so you can't really split it 6 and 6 :lol: My limestone pavement was sht, I completely went blank :frown: whereas my stalagmites/stalactites was good because I remembered it all!!

Overall I thought it was very decent. There was nothing in there that was particularly obscure or difficult and i didn't have to do a hydrosphere question :banana::banana:

Wth, the hydrosphere question was good!!

Original post by Nessie162

For the optional I chose Biosphere ( :heart: )and Population. I didn't like the Population questions, I wasn't sure what to write.

For population pyramids I think you just had to describe it "Birth rate project to increase" then explain e.g. "poor access to contraception, high infant morality" Then for part B, you just had to be like "more people living in shanty towands, increase overcrowding" blah blah blah
Reply 496
Original post by alfalimaindia
The exam was quite good. Atmosphere wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I'm glad population was an optional one because I know nothing about that. Rural Land Resources I rambled quite a bit about conflicts but I think they were okay. and for Development and health I put gdp, gnp, literacy rates and disease rates but I sort of explained them and it didn't make much sense. It was better then I thought it would be but I wish there had been coasts because thats really easy and for RLR I know about dorset more than the lake district because I couldn't find my lake district notes I only had half of them.

If you looked closely at part C it said:

"Referring to named examples within the Cairngorms or any other upland OR COASTAL area you have studied:" Therefore you could of done conflicts on dorset!
Reply 497
Everyone else in Scotland seemed to love the exam :s-smilie:, at least it's OVER IT'S OVER!
Original post by CSM1996

Wth, the hydrosphere question was good!!

It was another map question, no thanks :tongue:
Reply 499
It was another map question, no thanks :tongue:

Btch please, it was a river question. And there was quite a lot on the river. Although I wasn't sure about the valley :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending