The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jayqwe
Section c always has a random topic each time so that is hard say, also do we need to know how to turn an amine, alcohol and an alkene back to a halgenoalkane, or do we just need to know the forward reactions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I'm aware you only need to know the reaction to produce an amine, not the other way around. But you do need to know both reactions for haloalkane -> alcohol and alcohol -> haloalkane.

Original post by Priya08
Omg thank you so muchh! and baiscally that oil layer is the hydrocarbon right? thanks again :biggrin:

Yah.
Has anyone else found the January 2013 paper really really difficult? :/

How are we supposed to know the bond angle in cyclohexanol? (I don't do maths either..!)

I hope this june paper is nicer :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got a copy of Jan 2013's paper?
Original post by posthumus
is the answer a ? If so...

The ratio between reaction of sulfuric acid & barium hydroxide is 1:1 ... Therefore they must both equal the same amount of moles.

Moles = volume x concentration

therefore... Mole of sulfuric acid = 0.02 x 0.25 = 0.005

there must also be 0.005 moles of barium hydroxide, therefore:

Volume= moles/ concentration = 0.005/ 0.5 = 0.01

woops my bad :tongue: they want it in cm^3... Here we have our answer in dm^3

1dm^3 = 1000 cm^3
so...

0.01 x 1000 = 10 cm^3

thank you
Original post by Gnome :)
This is what I've come up with, let me know if it makes sense or not :smile:

Aww i got it!:biggrin:Thanks!:smile:
Original post by scientific222
Has anyone got a copy of Jan 2013's paper?

Original post by all_dolled_up
Has anyone else found the January 2013 paper really really difficult? :/

How are we supposed to know the bond angle in cyclohexanol? (I don't do maths either..!)

I hope this june paper is nicer :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was a bit mean but not that bad, that said, I also hope the June paper is nicer. :tongue:

**January 2013 paper here!**
Reply 326
Hi everyone! I'm really confused about extracting the products of alcohols. In one of my text books it says to extract a ketone you heat under reflux and in the other it says you use distillation apparatus, so which one do I write? Also, when extracting a carboxylic acid, do you just heat alcohol under reflux or do you do that then distill it? So confused :/
Reply 327
Original post by ellexo
Hi everyone! I'm really confused about extracting the products of alcohols. In one of my text books it says to extract a ketone you heat under reflux and in the other it says you use distillation apparatus, so which one do I write? Also, when extracting a carboxylic acid, do you just heat alcohol under reflux or do you do that then distill it? So confused :/

For both reflux then distil once reaction has gone to completion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellexo

With a carboxylic acid, you just heat the reactants until reflux and let the product drop back into the reaction mixture, after some period of time you'll get a carboxylic acid. I think it's the same for a ketone, we only distill off aldehydes because it we didn't, they would oxidise into carboxylic acids, although I may be incorrect there.
Reply 329
Original post by HarryMWilliams
With a carboxylic acid, you just heat the reactants until reflux and let the product drop back into the reaction mixture, after some period of time you'll get a carboxylic acid. I think it's the same for a ketone, we only distill off aldehydes because it we didn't, they would oxidise into carboxylic acids, although I may be incorrect there.

Thanks so much! I think you're right, it sounds logical and makes sense now :tongue:
Reply 330
Original post by Goods
For both reflux then distil once reaction has gone to completion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Hey guys. I have no idea which practical apparatus we need to know how to draw? Apart from reflux and distilling. Every now and again something comes up and I have no idea. I asked my teacher for a complete list and she dodged my question. Help please! (I'm using Edexcel exam board)
Original post by Brownie12335
Hey guys. I have no idea which practical apparatus we need to know how to draw? Apart from reflux and distilling. Every now and again something comes up and I have no idea. I asked my teacher for a complete list and she dodged my question. Help please! (I'm using Edexcel exam board)

Ok, from my reading of the specification we need to know the following:

An experiment to demonstrate the thermal decomposition of nitrates/carbonates/sulfates - limewater experiment.

Preparation of organic liquids, through both refluxing and distillation - making an aldehyde for example.

Preparing a halogenoalkane from an alcohol through a separating funnel and then distillation.

Reply 333
Found a little website with quizzes to test your knowledge, Edexcel specification. It's quite pedantic though and doesn't cover everything, but if you're bored...
http://legacy.chemgym.net/as_a2/index_edexcel.html
Reply 334
Does anyone know of a past question which asks us to draw the apparatus needed for the preparation of a halogenoalkane from an alcohol so i can see what they want in a mark scheme?
is anyone else struggling to learn everything for the halogens? all the reactions!
Original post by HarryMWilliams
I was a bit mean but not that bad, that said, I also hope the June paper is nicer. :tongue:

**January 2013 paper here!**

Thanks a lot! Do you have the mark scheme by any chance?
Reply 337
Original post by adi19956
Found a little website with quizzes to test your knowledge, Edexcel specification. It's quite pedantic though and doesn't cover everything, but if you're bored...
http://legacy.chemgym.net/as_a2/index_edexcel.html

Thanks ! :biggrin: Looks useful
Original post by scientific222
Thanks a lot! Do you have the mark scheme by any chance?

MS is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=203014
A bit of reaction mechanism practice; would anyone like to explain the procedure of producing a carboxylic acid from ethane? (Hint: there are multiple steps.. :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending