The Student Room Group

Ocr geography a2 f764 and f763 2013 june

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I did this paper last june if anyone has any questions :biggrin:
Reply 21
Would anybody be able to send me an example of a ten mark question? Im really struggling on them :frown: Im fine on the essays, just confused over the 10 mark ones
Original post by chessjohnston
Any ideas what potentially could come up for earth and climatic? my teacher mentioned mass ...

My teacher said mass movements is likely to come up as it's only been on one 10 marker so far.
Reply 23
What can you say about urban vs rural?

and

for human factors , am i right in saying you can talk about flooding aswell as landslides?

Thankssssss

you can talk about how the impacts of the earth hazard vary in urban areas compared to rural areas Eg using Aberfam as a case study for landslide in a rural area compared to chille's landslide and how the economic/social/environmental impacts are different between the two areas
Reply 24
How is everybody stucturing their 30 marker?

im structuring mine the same way i did in AS by doing a small introduction on the question then on the main body using 3 case studies and going into detail to answer the question and for my conclusion i summarise all the points and say which is the most important point.
Reply 25
Original post by Jamiepvfc
Would anybody be able to send me an example of a ten mark question? Im really struggling on them :frown: Im fine on the essays, just confused over the 10 mark ones

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-geography-h083-h483/
if you go on any question paper the 10 marker will give you a figure and will ask you to outline a geographical issue and give the management Strategies for the geographical issue
Reply 26
Original post by dilip007
you can talk about how the impacts of the earth hazard vary in urban areas compared to rural areas Eg using Aberfam as a case study for landslide in a rural area compared to chille's landslide and how the economic/social/environmental impacts are different between the two areas

how are the differences for these landslides? if you dont mind me asking eeek!
Reply 27
how are the differences for these landslides? if you dont mind me asking eeek!

for example using case study's: aberfam in wales (1996) had smaller impacts as it was a rural area. the impacts in aberfam are: socially - 116 children died and 28 adults dieing as well as infrastructure damage.

a urban area would be in china in the sichuan earthquake in 2008 which caused 100's of landslides destroying property and killing thousands of people.
Reply 28
Original post by dilip007
for example using case study's: aberfam in wales (1996) had smaller impacts as it was a rural area. the impacts in aberfam are: socially - 116 children died and 28 adults dieing as well as infrastructure damage.

a urban area would be in china in the sichuan earthquake in 2008 which caused 100's of landslides destroying property and killing thousands of people.

Ahhh yeah i get you.. i think you may have type -o'd the date wrong for aberfan btw but thanks!
Original post by anony.mouse
True, but you're stating appropriate strategies. And it has always been the case that we have to mention at least two. So to then round up and say which is most appropriate for whatever reason, brings it all together. One sentence doesn't really count as evaluating them. If it was a question about evaluating strategies then a couple of sentences should be on outline and the majority of it on evaluating their costs/benefits.

why would you waste time to evaluate when the 10 markers only ask for the strategies? why not do 3 management strategies instead of two and an evaluation? makes no sense
Reply 30
True, but you're stating appropriate strategies. And it has always been the case that we have to mention at least two. So to then round up and say which is most appropriate for whatever reason, brings it all together. One sentence doesn't really count as evaluating them. If it was a question about evaluating strategies then a couple of sentences should be on outline and the majority of it on evaluating their costs/benefits.

i really dont think you need to waste time on an conclusion, especially if the markscheme doesnt need one and if you state your strategies well then youre effectively rounding each one as you do it anyway.
Original post by izzypetrie
why would you waste time to evaluate when the 10 markers only ask for the strategies? why not do 3 management strategies instead of two and an evaluation? makes no sense

If it's one sentence then i still have time to describe 3 strategies.

Original post by zirai
i really dont think you need to waste time on an conclusion, especially if the markscheme doesnt need one and if you state your strategies well then youre effectively rounding each one as you do it anyway.

The mark scheme says to have a well structured answer. 10 marks is a longer answer. It's only one sentence. Don't do it if you don't want to, i'm not forcing you to.
Reply 32
The only aspect getting me in this exam is the case studies. How MUCH detail do we need to know? I'm talking exact figures? I find as soon as I learn 1, I forget it as soon as I learn another 2 etc.

I also have an awful tendency of missing out the most simplistic points whilst writing in far too much breadth on issues that are not focal to the topic. I know the content well but my revision is seriously hindered by case studies, I can name a fair few but contrasting/compareing them is an issue! It's impossible to learn so many as the content level is ridiculous.
Reply 33
Original post by JJJC
The only aspect getting me in this exam is the case studies. How MUCH detail do we need to know? I'm talking exact figures? I find as soon as I learn 1, I forget it as soon as I learn another 2 etc.

I also have an awful tendency of missing out the most simplistic points whilst writing in far too much breadth on issues that are not focal to the topic. I know the content well but my revision is seriously hindered by case studies, I can name a fair few but contrasting/compareing them is an issue! It's impossible to learn so many as the content level is ridiculous.

i know! my strategy is to learn 4/6 topics - earth hazards,climatic globalization and development and only answer those in the exam
Reply 34
My teacher said mass movements is likely to come up as it's only been on one 10 marker so far.

What management strategies are there for mass movement?
The question is 'Evaluate strategies used to reduce the impacts of climatic hazards' ...

1)I can't think of that many.

2) how do you write a conclusion for it? do you just evaluate them as you go, so you don't have to write an evaluation/conclusion at the end?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
The question is 'Evaluate strategies used to reduce the impacts of climatic hazards' ...

1)I can't think of that many.

2) how do you write a conclusion for it? do you just evaluate them as you go, so you don't have to write an evaluation/conclusion at the end?

for this you could talk about acid rain and smog?
Reply 37
what case studies for migration anyone?
Reply 38
Original post by msamra1
What management strategies are there for mass movement?

long,
re grading the slope
draining the slope
cost - benefit just letting it go naturally
enforce steel barriers
nets
hazard route mapping
prediction techniques
banning walking and traffic

short,
emergency rescue
aid
standard stuff

do you reckon we can use avalanches?
Reply 39
what case studies for migration anyone?

you could use italy with the south in sicilly were migrating to the north,
poland to the uk migration due to the eu
China Rural to urban - due to the fast growing economy
you could also do the UK people from the north migrating to the south (london) due to more job opptunties

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending