The Student Room Group

The OFFICIAL OCR June 2013 AS Biology F212 Exam Thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChooChooCherry
um, did no one else go completely blank on the collagen question, the potato blight question and the bloody squireeelllss?! what the hell man :'(
and also for the selective breeding of the crops can someone just tell me what they wrote so that i dont cry myself to sleep tonight?
thanks

DEM SQUIRRELS! haha, bro i can tell you what i wrote
For the collagen :-
1)It is a fibrous protein
2)It is make up of alpha-C1-C4 Glycosidic Bonds which form long polypeptide chains
3) it has cross-links made of hydrogen bonds between the fibres
4) It is strong and flexible
5) this allows the artery to recoil
6) It is also insolube , which means it doesn't reduce the water potential of the cells.

the Selective breeding question: -
1) Farmers select the plants that have survived and they allow them to reproduce.
2)They will transfer the Resistive Allele to the offspring
3)They then breed the offspring over generations, creating a fully resistive species
4) to improve, and not cause this destruction of plant, they need to increase the gene pool which can be done by bringing in different types of potatoes, or creating cross-programmes where you bring in types of potatoe from all over the world to increase the gene pool.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!
Reply 121
Original post by Easter Bunny
2)It is make up of alpha-C1-C4 Glycosidic Bonds which form long polypeptide chains
6) It is also insolube , which means it doesn't reduce the water potential of the cells.

1) Farmers select the plants that have survived and they allow them to reproduce.
3)They then breed the offspring over generations, creating a fully resistive species
4) to improve, and not cause this destruction of plant, they need to increase the gene pool which can be done by bringing in different types of potatoes, or creating cross-programmes where you bring in types of potatoe from all over the world to increase the gene pool.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!

didnt we have to talk about the fact tht it is made up of 3 polypeptide chains etc
and that it is a left handed helix sturcture as well
Reply 122
you know the one where we had to draw the hydrogen bonds between the bases
i just did a dotted line between all the bases and labelled it hygroden bond

would that be right?
Original post by Jooost
didnt we have to talk about the fact tht it is made up of 3 polypeptide chains etc

It will be one of those things weer there are 12 choices, and you have to pick 7, if u know what i mean on the mark scheme
Hey all, anyone know of an unofficial mark scheme yet? I should really be revising for Chemistry but can't get my mind off today! Hope everyone did well! :smile:
Reply 125
also
does anyone have the unofficial mark scheme yet?
i seriously need to know how i did

can someone help me tot this up
i got 72 ums for unit 1 which is an A
i got 35/40 for my practical skills im not sure what ums that is

but what do i needto get an A overall?
Original post by Jooost
you know the one where we had to draw the hydrogen bonds between the bases
i just did a dotted line between all the bases and labelled it hygroden bond

would that be right?

I dont think so, u had to put two dotted lines between A and T, and 3 between C and G, u know?
Reply 127
THIS IS EXACTL HOW I FEEL
im sat here twitching

no not really but you know
Reply 128
what did you guys put for the phagocyte one?
wasit B? or C?

also the process of phagocytosis
i think i misunderstood teh question
i spoke briefly aout the enveloping of the phagocyte membrane inward forming a phagosome vacuole and i mentioned the enzymes digesting the pathogen
but i went onto to talk about antigen presenting cells and the rest of the immune response :c

any thoughts on the grade boundaries?
Reply 129
Original post by Jooost

That's what i wrote pretty sure its right, could also mention that its a tertiary structure and that minerals can be added to increase its rigidity and strength
Reply 130
Original post by Jooost

From what people were saying about the exam i imagine the grade boundaries will be quite high, maybe 73/74
Original post by Jooost
what did you guys put for the phagocyte one?
wasit B? or C?

also the process of phagocytosis
i think i misunderstood teh question
i spoke briefly aout the enveloping of the phagocyte membrane inward forming a phagosome vacuole and i mentioned the enzymes digesting the pathogen
but i went onto to talk about antigen presenting cells and the rest of the immune response :c

Was B and C
Reply 132
Wow. I actually got that right. Hooray!
I was completely thrown by the 6 marker on collagen and probably dropped most of the marks. However I found that the rest of the paper was reasonably straight forward.
With regards to the centrifuge one:
When the DNA had been allowed to replicated once, all DNA would be one strand containing N15 and one strand containing N14. (So the band would be somewhere in the middle)
The next one required two bands. This is because it had replicated twice.
1st replication produces same as first tube.
2nd replication produces two sets of DNA that are N15 & N14. And two sets that are just N14. (So one band would be the same as the other test tube, the other band would be at the same level as N14)
Guys,

What was the phagocyte in the insert, was it B or C ? :confused:

And also the question where you had to draw hydrogen bonds between the bases, instead of dotted lines i kept them solid, will it make a difference? :s-smilie:
Does anyone know where I can find an unofficial mark scheme for the exam?
Anyone have an unofficial mark scheme?
Would be much appreciated :smile:
Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Easter Bunny

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!

ahh i probably only got like 3 marks for the collagen question and like 2 marks for the potatos :/ oh well i know for sure im not getting the A i needed which sucks like a leech
thanks for ur reply sweets!
guys lets all look to religion tonight and pray for low grade boundaries and a generous mark scheme.
i am so serious *bawls*
The squirrels, the alcohol dehydrogenase, the collagen, the potato effing blight, the EIA.

All the tiny gaps in my knowledge... Exposed! GAH.
So peeved off at the exam paper and myself right now. Cannot even express it into words. At all.

Actually, I think all of my exams to date this year have been a series of fails. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending