The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by posthumus
Heat under Reflux apparatus

At most you'll just need to know this really:

The liberated iodine reacts with thiosulfate ion

I2 + 2S2O3^2- ----> 2I- + S4O6^2-

They give you this stuff anyway usually, it's calculations you should be most concerned with :smile:

That's what I thought but this is the mark scheme:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370330654.417563.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieL1996
thanks but that's part a I mean the iionic equations. thank you :smile:

Oops! Sorry!

bi. Well, you know there has to be 2H+ because H2O is formed. In an ionic equation the charges on both sides must balance. Currently you have ClO- + 2H+ --> Cl- + H2O, so the charge on the LHS is +1 but the RHS is -1. So you add 2 electrons to the LHS to get ClO- + 2H+ + 2e- --> Cl- + H2O

It's the same principle for the iodide. You need 2 iodide ions to make 1 iodine molecule, and you need to add 2 electrons to the RHS to make the charges balance

2I- --> I2 + 2e-

ii. You simply check that the number of moles of electrons transferred in each equation is the same (in this case it is, but if it isn't you just multiply one or both equations to get equal moles of electrons) and then add the equations together. You don't need to show the electrons in the final equation.

ClO- + 2H+ + 2I- --> Cl- + H2O + I2
Original post by wanna_get_A*
can u send me the jan 13 paper please? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here :smile:
Original post by Matterhorn

Posted from TSR Mobile

:colone:

Because they asked how you would collect gaseous alkenes. Either you collect it over water or in a syringe. Just make sure there's an open end or else pressure will build up. :cool:
Reply 1224

Posted from TSR Mobile

Geor was right :eek:

That's nowhere in the book though god damn it :frown: ... what year is this question from ???? Hopefully it doesn't come up :colondollar:
Original post by bhowland1994
You heat under reflux

Mark scheme says ignore any use pumice reflux :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieL1996
hi, how did you do q 21 b i and ii? I don't really understand. thanks :smile:

For the first equation, just add two hydrogens on the left hand side to balance, then balance the charge with electrons. So two electrons on the left.

For the second equation, you need 2I- on the left hand side and therefore you need two electrons on the right hand side to balance.

moles of thiosulfate = 24.2*0.05/1000

Then you look at the mole ratio in the equation they give you in the question. Iodine reacts with thiosulfate in a 1:2 ratio, so divide the answer above by two.
Reply 1227
Original post by airheadbuster
:colone:

Because they asked how you would collect gaseous alkenes. Either you collect it over water or in a syringe. Just make sure there's an open end or else pressure will build up. :cool:

Even if it's gaseous alkenes the reflux is meant to condense it back into the mixture :frown:

That's nowhere in the book though god damn it :frown: ... what year is this question from ???? Hopefully it doesn't come up :colondollar:

May 2011 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

May 2011 17 f)ii) :cool:
Original post by James A
For the first equation, just add two hydrogens on the left hand side to balance, then balance the charge with electrons. So two electrons on the left.

For the second equation, you need 2I- on the left hand side and therefore you need two electrons on the right hand side to balance.

moles of thiosulfate = 24.2*0.05/1000

Then you look at the mole ratio in the equation they give you in the question. Iodine reacts with thiosulfate in a 1:2 ratio, so divide the answer above by two.

ok thanks :smile:
Original post by Linked
do i have to remember the actual equations - including state symbols?

Just remember the reaction of H2SO4 and the strongest reducing agent KI

So the first reaction is the reduction of H2SO4...

KI + H2SO4 -------> HI + KHSO4 (really simple one)

Now HI can reduce H2SO4 as well

2HI + H2SO4 --------> I2 + SO2 + 2H20

Finally as HI is such a strong reducing agent it can reduce again

6HI + SO2 ------> 3I2 + H2S +2H20

Now all you need to remeber is that KI and KCl only do the first step and KBr does the first and second step :biggrin:
Even if it's gaseous alkenes the reflux is meant to condense it back into the mixture :frown:

I don't think butene can condense under normal laboratory conditions. :smile:

I guess just don't use reflux when you need to collect gaseous mixtures :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please jot down the names then of alll the equipment set ups we need to know and an example of what reaction they are used for, so distillation, heating under reflux and this new one regarding the collection of gaseous mixtures .....
Reply 1235
Original post by airheadbuster
I don't think butene can condense under normal laboratory conditions. :smile:

I guess just don't use reflux when you need to collect gaseous mixtures :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess alkenes have a very low boiling temperature, which makes sense !

So does anyone have an image of what the apparatus should look like ? I know geor posted one yesterday :tongue:

Also is Beryllium the only one which has BeO layer, hence it can't react with water ? :smile: If not, then why is it so unreactive
this exam is my bitch
Guys in the Jan 2012 MS it says Water can form 2 Hydrogen bonds per molecule, but some guys on here seem to think it's four?
Reply 1238
if i draw a horizontal test tube to collect the gaseous alkenes with the ceramic fibre and everything, do i still need to draw an opening to not build pressure up? if so, where do i put it?
Reply 1239
Original post by GCSE-help
Guys in the Jan 2012 MS it says Water can form 2 Hydrogen bonds per molecule, but some guys on here seem to think it's four?

Yup stick to two !!! It's four in solid form (crystals).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending