The Student Room Group

Comp2 AQA - 6th June.

Hello guys,

Comp1 has just been sitted, found it very challenging, got comp2 thursday (remaining 40 percent), so need to score very high!

I'm pretty sure fetch-execute will come up; let me write my definition of it and can someone correct/tell me if it's right.

The fetch execution cycle works when data is in the Program counter and then gets transfered to the MAR, the mar will then transfer this data to the PC, the PC will plus 1 and then will go onto the MBR.

The MBR will then give the data to the CIR, the CIR will then decode and execute?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also if anyone else is sitting this exam, let's use this forum as a revision post, what do you think is likely to come up and what are you stuck on??
Reply 2
The only hardware devices that haven't come up yet in past papers are: Digital Camera, LCD Screen, Tough-Sensitive Screen, USB Flash Drive and Impact Printer.
The fetch-execute cycle goes something like this
[MAR] <- [PC]
[PC] <- [PC] + 1; [MBR] <- [MAR]
[CIR] <- [MBR]
[CIR] is decoded and executed.
Reply 3
I know for a fact the fetch execute is

MAR <<< PC
PC <<< PC + 1 ; MBR (Memory) address
CIR <<< MBR
CIR DECODED AND EXECUTED.

But in the exam they will ask something like for an 8 marker, describe the Fetch execute cycle, not diagram, but i seriously need an A in this.
Reply 4
I need the A as well. Basically just describe the short-hand version. Something like "The Memory Address Register gets the value of the Program Counter etc." You can also mention that the address bus carries the information from the PC to the MAR (I think)
Reply 5
I'll be doing this exam for the 4th time on Thursday. 1st time round: U, second: E, third: D so fingers crossed on a C this time! (I'm a failure)

On all the mocks I've done in class and by my self, I've achieved at least a B on all. I don't know where im going wrong in the actual exam.
Reply 6
Do you think a question asking us about a hardware device would come up this time?

as i went through all the past paper and they usually ask a question on it, once a year!

but the Jan 12, june 12 and jan 13 paper all asked a question on hardware device!
Reply 7
Original post by jackykkkan
Do you think a question asking us about a hardware device would come up this time?

as i went through all the past paper and they usually ask a question on it, once a year!

but the Jan 12, june 12 and jan 13 paper all asked a question on hardware device!

They almost certainly will. Check my previous post to find the ones they haven't asked about yet.
Reply 8
Original post by m00c0w
They almost certainly will. Check my previous post to find the ones they haven't asked about yet.

Ok, thanks! :smile:

what about TCP/IP?

explaining what each of the layers do?

will it possibly come up?
Reply 9
Ok, thanks! :smile:

what about TCP/IP?

explaining what each of the layers do?

will it possibly come up?

I think that could possibly come up, as it has only come up twice before. Something else quite common is HTML
Reply 10
Original post by m00c0w
I think that could possibly come up, as it has only come up twice before. Something else quite common is HTML

Yeah! i agree!
Reply 11
Logic gates are quite common as well!

do you think a question on assembly language would come up or not?

as i havent seen it for a while!
Reply 12
Logic gates are quite common as well!

do you think a question on assembly language would come up or not?

as i havent seen it for a while!

As in writing a three line program? It could come up, but it's incredibly easy. The thing I hate is machine architecture and having to label diagrams.
Reply 13
Possible Question on (As they haven't been on for a while as well):

Uniform resource locator

table about storage media

Routers

do you think these will have any chance of coming up this time round?
Reply 14
Possible Question on (As they haven't been on for a while as well):

Uniform resource locator

table about storage media

Routers

do you think these will have any chance of coming up this time round?

Ahh. Not routers! Can anyone explain them to me?
Reply 15
Original post by m00c0w
Ahh. Not routers! Can anyone explain them to me?

i just looked at the spec and i can't see anywhere that mentioned routers!

but it happens to be in one of the paper!

why?
Reply 16
Oh sorry!

i just looked again! and it is in the spec!

sorry! :frown:

but basically we only need to know the role of routers!

which has already tested on the Jan 12 paper!

so i don't know what else would they ask if this were to come up!
Reply 17
i think possibly

Internet registries and registrars could possibly come up as explaining what they provided as suppose!

as it haven't came up yet!
Reply 18
Possibly:

Classification of software (diagram possibly(easy))

And

Client-server model (Haven't came up yet)
Reply 19
Has RFID reader hardware question came up yet?

All i can find is a question about RFID tag,

does that mean it is tested or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending