The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by constantmeowage
No hablar español pero voy a divagar hasta que alguien pueda ayudarme/me ayude con mis errores.

No
Used because its something you know how to do - Poder implies more physical restrictions:

No puedo tocar la guitarra porque me duele los dados
No tocar la guitarra porque soy muy perezoso

I can't play the guitar because my fingers hurt
I don't know how to/I can't play the guitar because I'm very lazy.

Voy a
Unlike in French where you don't need any preposition at all:

Je vais manger

in Spanish you need the "a"

Voy a comer

Hasta que
Is a subjunctive trigger, so it needs a present subjunctive. This is the same with French 'jusqu'à ce que' (pueda ayudarme -> I/he/she can help me, me ayude -> he/she helps me).

¡Espero que te haya ayudado!

Thank you :smile:

It did help :colondollar:

Para and Por... Write my grammar book says:

Para:
Destination, purpose
Direction of specific place
"by" or "for" in relation to time

Por:
Cause
Because of
On behalf of/in favour of
By means of
Via
"times" (multiplying)
Time Phrases
As an agent in passive sentences

Anything it's missing?
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Para:
Destination, purpose

Por:
Cause
Because of
By means of
Via
"times" (multiplying)
Time Phrases

Anything it's missing?

It can mean through as well 'por el parque' and alongside 'por el río', if my memory serves me well. But I never learnt it like that, I had to absorb it because they're just some many doubtsssss >.< eurgh
It can mean through as well 'por el parque' and alongside 'por el río', if my memory serves me well. But I never learnt it like that, I had to absorb it because they're just some many doubtsssss >.< eurgh

Okay :smile: thank you!
Okay :smile: thank you!

Also, I should have said '¡Espero haberte ayudado!, lo siento. >.<

(The 'Same Subject Rule' - if we would normally put a 'that' in between sentences such as 'I think that', 'I hope that' and the subject is the same on both sides of the 'that', then you get rid of the 'that' and put the infinitive:

Creo que ella quiere comer algo
Creo querer comer algo

I think she wants to eat something
I think I want to eat something
Also, I should have said '¡Espero haberte ayudado!, lo siento. >.<

(The 'Same Subject Rule' - if we would normally put a 'that' in between sentences such as 'I think that', 'I hope that' and the subject is the same on both sides of the 'that', then you get rid of the 'that' and put the infinitive:

Creo que ella quiere comer algo
Creo querer comer algo

I think she wants to eat something
I think I want to eat something

Like French?
Like French?

Exacto, but in informal and slang it's not wrong to put 'que' in and conjugate it AFAIK.
Exacto, but in informal and slang it's not wrong to put 'que' in and conjugate it AFAIK.

Prepositions will kill me :lol: de and a...

Which would you suggest learning for the imperfect subjunctive...?

Also, what counts as Latin America?:colondollar:
Which would you suggest learning for the imperfect subjunctive...?

Also, what counts as Latin America?:colondollar:

Everywhere that's not Brazil. :tongue: It just depends on where you're more interested in speaking it, although if you want to be flexible, learn both, and apply -ra endings in SoAm, and -se endings in Spain. But by habit I use -se endings. :smile:
Reply 1989

Para:
Destination, purpose

Por:
Cause
Because of
By means of
Via
"times" (multiplying)
Time Phrases

Anything it's missing?

¿¡Ya has aprendido la diferencia entre por y para!? Eres un genio, no hay nadie que pueda negarlo.
Everywhere that's not Brazil. :tongue: It just depends on where you're more interested in speaking it, although if you want to be flexible, learn both, and apply -ra endings in SoAm, and -se endings in Spain. But by habit I use -se endings. :smile:

I will, but, I'll learn one set first... I'll start with the Spanish ending seeing as you use it:colondollar:

Original post by AquisM
¿¡Ya has aprendido la diferencia entre por y para!? Eres un genio, no hay nadie que pueda negarlo.

Hahaha :rofl: thanks, but I'm not as everyone here will tell you :mmm:
I will, but, I'll learn one set first... I'll start with the Spanish ending seeing as you use it

That's not a good reason. :tongue: pick whichever one you want in order to satisfy your needs.
That's not a good reason. :tongue: pick whichever one you want in order to satisfy your needs.

Probably is the American version then... :colondollar:
Reply 1993
Probably is the American version then... :colondollar:

I use -ra even though my teacher is from Valencia. It sounds better to my ears. Use whichever one you want, you'll be understood with either.
Original post by AquisM
I use -ra even though my teacher is from Valencia. It sounds better to my ears. Use whichever one you want, you'll be understood with either.

My pronunciation is what I need to work on so that I am understood... Need someone :frown:
Reply 1995

Since when is Brazil not Latin America? Portuguese is a Latinate language. :tongue:

PS I generally mostly heard and used -ra endings, even though most of my Spanish tutors at uni were Spanish.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
Since when is Brazil not Latin America? Portuguese is a Latinate language. :tongue:

PS I generally mostly heard and used -ra endings, even though most of my Spanish tutors at uni were Spanish.

Yay! -ra endings :woo:
Original post by Ronove

I meant in terms of Spanish, and the -ra endings. :P I know what I mean... :colondollar:

Eh, the Spanish Spanish teachers that I have had came up with -se more naturally, but I don't know. :frown: I'll just do what I always do until someone corrects me with a better way. :smile:
Reply 1998
I meant in terms of Spanish, and the -ra endings. :P I know what I mean... :colondollar:

Eh, the Spanish Spanish teachers that I have had came up with -se more naturally, but I don't know. :frown: I'll just do what I always do until someone corrects me with a better way. :smile:

To be fair I swear there was frequent mixing of the two endings in some sources. No idea what kind of sources. Sometimes you just decide that a certain verb fits best with -ra and another fits best with -ese.
2night Thatitootoo was the star of the class!!! :cool:
omg literally EVERYONE on the course was complimenting me on my German, and sneakily asking me for answers...I swear they were all convinced that I actually am a German! :lol:
The teacher did not exactly help the situation by saying that she's never ever had an AS-levelstudent who could speak German as well as I currently do...WHAT IS SHE ON!?! omg at one point we were conversing in German, while the rest just sat there like "wth" and "observed" us! =L

It's inevitable now, that I'll make a fool of myself next week! :facepalm:
But it certaintly was fun while it lasted! :tongue: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending