The Student Room Group

AQA LITB3 Pastoral 6th June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
hi guys any tips for tess of the d'urbervilles, Blake and Shakespeare's 'As you like it' ????
Original post by charlz_29
hi guys any tips for tess of the d'urbervilles, Blake and Shakespeare's 'As you like it' ????

Lol, we're doing exactly the same texs! do you have any key qoutes selected for Hardy?
Reply 62
erm... a few i've arranged them into important themes

Class Divide
- "....an elderly parson astride on a grey mare...." (The parson is of higher class than Mr Durbeyfield, shows an alternative view of life in the country. represents a more realistic view)
-".....be plain Jack Durbeyfield...." (class divide is ingrained in the villagers' mind)
- "well yes particularly centurions..." (Angel mocks Tess, shows that he is educated whilst Tess is not)

Lust
-"swarthy complexion with full lips...." (focuses on Alec's lust for Tess)
- "...my beauty..." (objectifies Tess, makes her his possession)

Sexual Double Standards
-"I have forgiven you for the same!"
-"...there lay hidden a hard logical deposit..." (Angels regards himself as different from other men but in reality he is the same as them as he doesn't forgive Tess)

Religion
-"pooh I don't believe God said such things..." (Tess is critical of the church could also convey Hardy's beliefs)
Reply 63
Hi everyone, I've been looking a little at religion in AYLI and what is the desired effect of having Hymen the god of marriage to look over the weddings? I'm trying to get something a bit deeper than 'dramatic effect' - any ideas??
Reply 64
"The god of marriage is a force of unity reuniting the characters together. The emergence of the god of marriage makes the forest of Arden seem mystical" that's what i wrote in one of my essays. dunno if it will be useful for u though?
Original post by iamsherlocked
No worries, Brideshead is the one I'm definitely not using for Section A so I'm not really focusing on it that much anyway. i look forward to the new one though :smile:

Just done half of the Brideshead one and posted it publicly - will do the other half later. Enjoy! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help me with some tess of the D qoutes- I have no idea where to start and the exam is so close.... please world :smile:
Original post by rageagainstessays
Can anyone help me with some tess of the D qoutes- I have no idea where to start and the exam is so close.... please world :smile:

see the tess memrise course which I posted a link to earlier in the thread
Reply 68
Original post by emily1995
Hi everyone, I've been looking a little at religion in AYLI and what is the desired effect of having Hymen the god of marriage to look over the weddings? I'm trying to get something a bit deeper than 'dramatic effect' - any ideas??

You could say it's Shakespeare utilising the dramatical conventional of a deus ex machina (translates as 'god from the machine' - something, like a character or event, that comes from nowhere to resolve a situation) to emphasise either absurdities in pastoral literature or something else. If you refer to Hymen as a deus ex machina, and subsequently the relevance to the pastoral convention, you'll get marks for context and probably terminology. Obviously, it's not necessary; it's just a nice thing to include.
Reply 69
Any question predictions? :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by rooosy
Any question predictions? :smile:

I would like to know this too! kinda starting to freak out aha - but in my class, our predictions are:
blake = significance of the child
as you like it = natural freedom
post 1945 = dislocation from nature
section b = spirituality or loss of spiritual values, journeys and death

what are you thinking?
Reply 71
Original post by octoberbaby
Hi guys. This thread appears to have died? I really hope not, I'm so worried about this exam haha.
We've studied Tess, Blake, As You Like It + Post-1945 poetry (Yeah, 4 texts, our teachers want us to have choice or something)
I really have not got along with Tess though, so I've not done any work for it.
We seem to be really behind with our teaching - We haven't finished Blake yet and we've skipped a a fair few of the post 1945 poetry. As well as this we've only done a teeny bit of practice for Section A and none for Section B!
If anyone had ANY advise on how to write a Section B answer that would be amazing. Do you compare the texts or just write them individually!? Anything would be a massive help.
Thanks.

WOAH you learnt four texts, thats crazy! if you dont like tess then i wouldnt bother learning it personally!
In terms of section b, do not compare! basically, write three mini essays on each of the texts with an introduction and a conclusion for the whole thing (not each individual one) and it doesnt really matter how equally weighted they are, you could do like half a page on blake and a page and a half on post 1945 :smile:
our class is doing exactly what you are doing except not Tess because you only need three texts :tongue:
Original post by Imi~M
WOAH you learnt four texts, thats crazy! if you dont like tess then i wouldnt bother learning it personally!
In terms of section b, do not compare! basically, write three mini essays on each of the texts with an introduction and a conclusion for the whole thing (not each individual one) and it doesnt really matter how equally weighted they are, you could do like half a page on blake and a page and a half on post 1945 :smile:
our class is doing exactly what you are doing except not Tess because you only need three texts :tongue:

Ahh okay thank you so much :smile: feeling fairly confident now, just trying to top up my 'blake' quotes because i think that's where i'm weak. Really nervous about the exam.
Reply 73
Fantastic, thank you!
Original post by Francis W
You could say it's Shakespeare utilising the dramatical conventional of a deus ex machina (translates as 'god from the machine' - something, like a character or event, that comes from nowhere to resolve a situation) to emphasise either absurdities in pastoral literature or something else. If you refer to Hymen as a deus ex machina, and subsequently the relevance to the pastoral convention, you'll get marks for context and probably terminology. Obviously, it's not necessary; it's just a nice thing to include.

Original post by charlz_29
"The god of marriage is a force of unity reuniting the characters together. The emergence of the god of marriage makes the forest of Arden seem mystical" that's what i wrote in one of my essays. dunno if it will be useful for u though?
Reply 74
Original post by octoberbaby
Ahh okay thank you so much :smile: feeling fairly confident now, just trying to top up my 'blake' quotes because i think that's where i'm weak. Really nervous about the exam.

haha no worries, i am literally so nervous for the exam too! i really hate english exams, they stress me out so much :') ah i find blake quotes easier to remember, its the modern pastoral poets i am having difficulty with!
Reply 75
Does anyone have any good Waterland by Graham Swift quotes? Sorta worried about not having any good ones! thanks :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by rageagainstessays
I'm really nervous about this exam- I have 5 hours of exams- 2 1:30 papers in the morning then this in the afternoon :frown:

Me too oh my god :'( Got Philosophy and Ethics, then this.
So nice to find more people doing pastoral, i'm doing Tess, AYLI and she stoops to conquer. Any question predictions?
Reply 77
I don't suppose anyone has a compiled list of all the past paper questions for either Tess, AYLI or post 1945 poetry???
Reply 78
How long do people's Section B responses tend to be?
Reply 79
my section B responses tend to be around 4 pages

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending