The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Quoi? :colondollar:

It means "good" or "that's nice!". Russians communicate with as few words as possible. :wink:
Original post by SecretDuck
Hi :wavey:

I'm intermediate in Russian and learning French basics all over again with my mother. After that, Spanish. Hopefully.

And I'm a girl. :smile:

:lol: Your gender was indeed a hot topic lately :wink: How does it feel to be caught up in the centre of a gender dispute? xD I'm glad it's finally been settled..:tongue:

Ohh I seee, that sounds really fun actually :tongue: I'm guessing your mom will also help you with Spanish, I remember you mentioned that she spoke it?? :tongue:

How is uni going? This time last year you were telling me how hard you found your French A2..:tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi :wavey:

I'm intermediate in Russian and learning French basics all over again with my mother. After that, Spanish. Hopefully.

And I'm a girl. :smile:
Bienvenue!
It means "good" or "that's nice!". Russians communicate with as few words as possible. :wink:

Da! You don'n really need the "eto" in front of the "khorosho" :yep:

Yes that's right, I know some Russian now! :wink: :wink:

:woo:

North London fire :eek:
Non est hic linguae antiquae ut latina mater linguarum occidentalium,* η ελληνικά παλαιά εάν προτιμεις αλλά κάποτε είναι δύσκολο να διακρινεις μεταξύ της μορφής παλαιάς και της καθερευουσας η της δημοτικής επηρεαμενης από μορφές γλωσσικές λιγότερο σύγχρονες. No ancient languages here I can see :frown:
:zomg:

Spanish boundaries are so high:eek:
Original post by thatitootoo
:lol: Your gender was indeed a hot topic lately :wink: How does it feel to be caught up in the centre of a gender dispute? xD I'm glad it's finally been settled..:tongue:

Ohh I seee, that sounds really fun actually :tongue: I'm guessing your mom will also help you with Spanish, I remember you mentioned that she spoke it?? :tongue:

How is uni going? This time last year you were telling me how hard you found your French A2..:tongue:

I've seen many gender disputes on TSR (not going to name names) and nothing was quite as heated as this :tongue:
Uni's good, thank you. Only made acquaintances this year so I'm going to volunteer and join more societies (the Economics society drink, drink and drink until there will be nothing left except for maybe some sack cloth and a ruptured liver - events are crap at best but they help you to get a job in the end so...). I always had fun when volunteering - even trying to pull a cart in the snow and ice was good fun!

My mother's fluent in Spanish so she will teach me that.
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Bienvenue!

Thank you :h:

Da! You don'n really need the "eto" in front of the "khorosho" :yep:

Yes that's right, I know some Russian now! :wink: :wink:

That's right - the good thing is that you don't need so many words, the bad thing is the dreaded case system :afraid:
Words' endings change more than I change my clothes :afraid: :afraid:

Original post by Harrie Lyons
Non est hic linguae antiquae ut latina mater linguarum occidentalium,* η ελληνικά παλαιά εάν προτιμεις αλλά κάποτε είναι δύσκολο να διακρινεις μεταξύ της μορφής παλαιάς και της καθερευουσας η της δημοτικής επηρεαμενης από μορφές γλωσσικές λιγότερο σύγχρονες. No ancient languages here I can see :frown:

I did Latin at GCSE Level by self-teaching and got a B in it. I knew that Latin A Level was the way to go for my fifth A Level but I took French instead and did crap at it :unimpressed:
I've seen many gender disputes on TSR (not going to name names) and nothing was quite as heated as this :tongue:
Uni's good, thank you. Only made acquaintances this year so I'm going to volunteer and join more societies (the Economics society drink, drink and drink until there will be nothing left except for maybe some sack cloth and a ruptured liver - events are crap at best but they help you to get a job in the end so...). I always had fun when volunteering - even trying to pull a cart in the snow and ice was good fun!

That's right - the good thing is that you don't need so many words, the bad thing is the dreaded case system :afraid:

I did Latin at GCSE Level by self-teaching and got a B in it. I knew that Latin A Level was the way to go for my fifth A Level but I took French instead and did crap at it :unimpressed:

Those gcses aren't very well structured IMO I got b in Greek and didnt do Latin but got a in Greek a level and a star in Latin alevel, you probably got a b cuz of the stupid exam and not that you didn't deserve an a :smile:
Original post by Harrie Lyons
Those gcses aren't very well structured IMO I got b in Greek and didnt do Latin but got a in Greek a level and a star in Latin alevel, you probably got a b cuz of the stupid exam and not that you didn't deserve an a :smile:

Yeah, those linguistic techniques really got me. When self-teaching, I just memorised an entire booklet of notes so I can answer those questions! Nevertheless, I didn't memorise it all very clearly. Had to do it in 6 months (building from my previous knowledge for it) so if I just had a couple of months more then I would've gotten an A*.

:lol: :lol: Is this drunkiness specific to the economics department? :O
I'm not sure whether I'd make any effort to be sociable when I'm at uni, I generally don't like people! xD Sounds like good fun indeed :tongue: Do you have any terrifying stories to share about the student halls @ QMUL??
:lol: :lol: Is this drunkiness specific to the economics department? :O
I'm not sure whether I'd make any effort to be sociable when I'm at uni, I generally don't like people! xD Sounds like good fun indeed :tongue: Do you have any terrifying stories to share about the student halls @ QMUL??

I don't live in halls - I live at home. In fact, a lot of people prefer to do the shared accommodation thing and not go to halls in QMUL. There must be horror stories then, if that's the case. :tongue:

The Economics social events are more of a game of how many people you can chat to while getting pissed on a cocktail or Tiger beer :lol:
How come the word "pissed" is not asterixed out by a swear filter? :curious:
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't live in halls - I live at home. In fact, a lot of people prefer to do the shared accommodation thing and not go to halls in QMUL. There must be horror stories then, if that's the case. :tongue:

The Economics social events are more of a game of how many people you can chat to while getting pissed on a cocktail or Tiger beer :lol:
How come the word "pissed" is not asterixed out by a swear filter? :curious:

:lol: yhh I think I'd definitely prefer that...or just my own accommodation would be even better! But I don't think the London accommodation loans would cover that...=L

Does piss filter? p-i-s-s piss piss
I'm sooo pissed
pissy
piss
(edited 10 years ago)
:lol: yhh I think I'd definitely prefer that...or just my own accommodation would be even better! But I don't think the London accommodation loans would cover that...=L

Does piss filter? p-i-s-s piss piss
I'm sooo pissed
pissy
piss

Sometimes it is a huge flat and four or five people share it and split the bill :dontknow:
The swear filter used to filter piss but piss not piss anymore! :giggle:
Can someone help me here ? I live in Hertfordshire, England and I'm struggling to find a uni that is fairly near that offers french and chinese or spanish and chinese. I'm passionate about these languages despite having not learnt mandarin however I'm currently facing a dilemma as not many universities are that flexible with their courses particularly Oxbridge ones !! Can someone recommend any decent unis? I've had a look around Edinburgh and Manchester despite being far away from home however that is pretty much it!!
Reply 2095
Original post by BuddingAchiever
Can someone help me here ? I live in Hertfordshire, England and I'm struggling to find a uni that is fairly near that offers french and chinese or spanish and chinese. I'm passionate about these languages despite having not learnt mandarin however I'm currently facing a dilemma as not many universities are that flexible with their courses particularly Oxbridge ones !! Can someone recommend any decent unis? I've had a look around Edinburgh and Manchester despite being far away from home however that is pretty much it!!

Unfortunately, I think you'll have to go some distance, I know Nottingham and Leeds definitely have that, but those are reasonably far away from you. However, SOAS do a French and (almost any Asian or African language they have), and it's in London.
Original post by Vionar
Unfortunately, I think you'll have to go some distance, I know Nottingham and Leeds definitely have that, but those are reasonably far away from you. However, SOAS do a French and (almost any Asian or African language they have), and it's in London.

Thanks, however I have indeed looked at SOAS..... and chinese is not a possible language to be combined with french unfortunately :frown: I may have to accept that maybe french and spanish aren't too bad, and i'll just take evening courses in mandarin?
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Bienvenue!

Original post by L'Evil Fish
:woo:

North London fire :eek:

:zomg: someone is actually taking AS Japanese from SCRATCH in one of the threads below, and they're still alive :O wowowow :dontknow:
:zomg: someone is actually taking AS Japanese from SCRATCH in one of the threads below, and they're still alive :O wowowow :dontknow:

Who? What? Where?:redface:
Reply 2099
Original post by BuddingAchiever
Thanks, however I have indeed looked at SOAS..... and chinese is not a possible language to be combined with french unfortunately :frown: I may have to accept that maybe french and spanish aren't too bad, and i'll just take evening courses in mandarin?

Oh yeah, that's a bit odd. But you still have the likes of Manchester, Edinburgh, Leeds, Nottingham, I believe you can study Chinese somehow at Birmingham and I think that Chinese is offered as a minor language in UCL's Language and Culture program. If you want a more specialized course, such as this one, you'll probably have to travel for it, unfortunately.

Latest

Trending

Trending