The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

I've revised omissions, causation, murder, intention, strict liability, non fatals at the moment and I've gone over all the defences. My teacher didn't teach me property offences. Do you think I could be at risk for question C?
Original post by StraightU's
How risky am I being by revising in depth...insanity & automatism

Pretty sure these can only appear in the 5 mark problems pal.
Reply 862
im a risking, if i only revise causation, attempts, omissions, oapa, theft, intoxication, insanity, automatism, & duress?
Reply 863
Original post by Sophiehannah95
I've revised omissions, causation, murder, intention, strict liability, non fatals at the moment and I've gone over all the defences. My teacher didn't teach me property offences. Do you think I could be at risk for question C?

Theft robbery burglary? ? That's always been on the paper im sure every single paper has them in some form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BooWoodcock
Yes you will still get credit, not as much as if you named it as A01 is about accuracy and knowledge but definitely still use it even if you can't remember the name, especially if you can link it well to your point! Applies to all of the Attorney General's references as well, so you if you can remember which one of which year just write "in an appeal by the Attorney General the courts held..."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoops, meant "can't remember" which A-G's ref!! If you can then write it! Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 865
Original post by leanneee95
what areas tend to normally come up for section 3? or can it literally be anything?

Trust me for section C make sure you know insanity automatism its got a very very high chance of coming up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qr95
Theft robbery burglary? ? That's always been on the paper im sure every single paper has them in some form

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm worried that if they come up in the section C I will not be able to answer them
Original post by qr95
Trust me for section C make sure you know insanity automatism its got a very very high chance of coming up

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought insanity and automatism came up in Section C in January 2013?
Reply 868
Some exam tips
For q1 aim for around 8-10 cases with facts and held, combine ao1 and ao2 , have a intro and a conclusion answering the question with any reforms

Q2) identify offences/defences and only write relevant sections and cases. Then apply this to the scenario and conclude on the liability

Q3) state whether statements accurate or not, conclude and remember its ao2 so you need to apply what you know in relation to the scenario , quote sections from thr scenario

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 869
This might seem quite obvious, but I've always wondered: in what way are we marked? I've spent a predominant amount of my revision with my head in mark schemes and I've noticed that the recommended points to make, as stipulated in the mark scheme, never add up to a full 50 points. I'm aware that in regards to AO2 in section A we are credited with additional marks for development, but especially in Section B I've always wondered what else there is to say that isn't laid down in the mark scheme. I may be missing the obvious point here in the way marks are rewarded, hence why I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think il relax for the remainder of the day. If I aint ready now then il never be ready...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 871
Original post by qr95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Evolutionism
I thought insanity and automatism came up in Section C in January 2013?

Insanity, automatism, loss of control and diminished responsibility all came up in section C in jan - do you reakon they are likely to come up again??
I believe it last appeared in June 2011 Q(4)

'Millie and Carl join an online dating agency. They chat, meet after two weeks and marry six weeks later. On their wedding night Carl gets drunk and hits Millie. Carl apologises. Carl is often romantic but gets violent when he has been drinking. On their wedding anniversary Carl and Millie drink a bottle of wine. Carl calls Millie "a useless bitch" and smashes the empty bottle over her head. Eventually Millie goes to the doctor and he puts her on anti-depressants. A month later, Carl punches Millie again and goes to bed. After an hour, Millie hears Carl snoring and she stabs him with a kitchen knife, killing him immediately. Millie dials 999 and when the ambulance arrives she is holding Carl sobbing "i love you".
Discuss the criminal liability, if any, of Millie

Would you raise intoxication for this?
Original post by R.Holly226
Would you raise intoxication for this?

It doesn't seem to mention any form of intoxication on the "day of the killing" so i'd think not. Where it did mention 'Carl and Millie drink a bottle of wine' it was a month before the event so i'd assume its insignificant.

I just checked the mark scheme, it didn't seem to mention intoxication.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 874
Arghhhhhh :l
Reply 875
this is stressing me out so much :/
Reply 876
if duress comes up as a part a - im going to be gutted because its going to get so hard to get all the points in - they expect duress of circumstances/necessity! to be mentioned aswell :frown:
Reply 877
I believe it last appeared in June 2011 Q(4)

Millie and Carl join an online dating agency. They chat, meet after two weeks and marry six weeks later. On their wedding night Carl gets drunk and hits Millie. Carl apologises. Carl is often romantic but gets violent when he has been drinking. On their wedding anniversary Carl and Millie drink a bottle of wine.' Carl calls Millie "a useless bitch" and smashes the empty bottle over her head. Eventually Millie goes to the doctor and he puts her on anti-depressants. A month later, Carl punches Millie again and goes to bed. After an hour, Millie hears Carl snoring and she stabs him with a kitchen knife, killing him immediately. Millie dials 999 and when the ambulance arrives she is holding Carl sobbing "i love you".
Discuss the criminal liability, if any, of Millie

i hate questions like this, the first few lines arent even relevant! :mad:
Original post by MIO14
i hate questions like this, the first few lines arent even relevant! :mad:

Actually, there are a few points in there that you could have for AO2 simply by saying:
"By meeting on an online dating agency, it proves that Mille and Carl don't fully know each other. Particularly by how quickly they marry (within 6 months), it's arguable that Millie would be completely unaware that Carl is capable of violence if he hasn't shown it in this amount of time. The first time he does hit Millie is once they've already married, so it would be harder for Millie to leave him after this point since divorce proceedings would have to go ahead. However, the fact Carl apologies implies he shows remorse and wouldn't do it again, so it's understandable that Millie doesn't think further of it. It's significant that Carl is violent when drunk as this shows any injuries that may occur when he's intoxicated satisfy the mens rea of being reckless for any basic intent, since he's aware of how alcohol makes him react. Therefore, such violent actions could be avoided by avoiding alcohol"...

That would be my first paragraph in fact, listing a good few ao2 points straight away. That's only from the bit you've highlighted in bold, and after that I would just continue with the essay of course. Hope that helps- always pick at every little detail! :wink:

Edit: Why the neg? :frown: I was only trying to help!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 879
Original post by Fward
Insanity, automatism, loss of control and diminished responsibility all came up in section C in jan - do you reakon they are likely to come up again??

Insanity automatism will be a dillema board
You can either believe me or not that's all im saying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending