The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3360
For the life of me cannot understand why mourinho would think to move out de bruyne and bring in shurrle
As great as the news regarding De Bruyne and Lukaku is, it is overshadowing what I believe to be even better news; that of the power of Mourinho in relation to the board/Emelano. We all know that many of the transfers that have come since Mourinho's departure were not manager sanctioned, and the deals that were in place before he signed on again (Schurrle/De Bruyne/Lukaku/Courtois future) have been sorted out in terms of his own decisions; every report has the player meeting with Mourinho over their respective place in the team, rather than being shipped out without any manager interaction.

Just thought I'd weigh in with that, and how promising it seems in returning to a simple Owner/Manager dichotomy with all thoughts on the football side of things.
Original post by billybo_h
As great as the news regarding De Bruyne and Lukaku is, it is overshadowing what I believe to be even better news; that of the power of Mourinho in relation to the board/Emelano. We all know that many of the transfers that have come since Mourinho's departure were not manager sanctioned, and the deals that were in place before he signed on again (Schurrle/De Bruyne/Lukaku/Courtois future) have been sorted out in terms of his own decisions; every report has the player meeting with Mourinho over their respective place in the team, rather than being shipped out without any manager interaction.

Just thought I'd weigh in with that, and how promising it seems in returning to a simple Owner/Manager dichotomy with all thoughts on the football side of things.

Absolutely. Apart from keeping a manager for a prolonged period of time, letting him shape his own team is also the key to sustainability and stability.

Getting KDB and Lukaku back are practically like two new signings for me, so I'm pretty happy :smile:
People's views on the press conference so far?

As a neutral I'd say that Mourinho is saying all the right things and making the right noises.

I do think the press will turn on him sooner rather than later if Mourinho doesn't provide the enertainment or soundbites the press crave.
Original post by Zerforax
People's views on the press conference so far?

As a neutral I'd say that Mourinho is saying all the right things and making the right noises.

I do think the press will turn on him sooner rather than later if Mourinho doesn't provide the enertainment or soundbites the press crave.

I'd agree with you; he's coming across as very humble and not trying to put an incendiary message across. I would like some actual confirmation from him regarding the De Bruyne and Lukaku rumours though.
Reply 3365
Just started watching the press conference, completely forgot about it. What was he talking about earlier?
Original post by billybo_h
I'd agree with you; he's coming across as very humble and not trying to put an incendiary message across. I would like some actual confirmation from him regarding the De Bruyne and Lukaku rumours though.

First of all I want to meet them but I think both of them are ready to be part of the squad

There you go :wink:
Well that was boring.. bet the media are disappointed :colone:
Reply 3368
So we've got the 'special one,' the 'group one' and now the 'happy one.' We sure have some strange characters managing the club...
Abramovich, please don't sack him if we don't win the league :frown:. He can bring some stability!

EDIT: Did Man United/Man City really not approach him? Hmm... I would've thought differently.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3370
"I know my weaknesses, there aren't many" What a ****
Jam - the press were always going to try and get Mourinho to dub himself the special one or the extra special one in the conference this time. Mourinho was just shrewed enough to not come across so arrogantly this time.

Original post by The Assassin
Abramovich, please don't sack him if we don't win the league :frown:. He can bring some stability!

EDIT: Did Man United/Man City really not approach him? Hmm... I would've thought differently.

All the reports state that neither of the Manchester clubs approached him. I think both clubs wanted a manager who would be there for the long haul, who would promote youth and who would provide a clean image for the club.

Mourinho has shown himself to be confrontational, not stayed at one club for more than 3 years and has promoted very few youth players.
Reply 3372
Original post by yaboy
"I know my weaknesses, there aren't many" What a ****

Where did you get that from? Plus anyway he's within his right to say that. He's a top manager with a proven track record to boot. It's not like it's harry redknapp or alex mcleish saying this.
Oscar apparently played brilliantly against France - and this time he was as an attacking mid (I think) rather than winger. Really hope we don't waste him on the wings anymore.

All the reports state that neither of the Manchester clubs approached him. I think both clubs wanted a manager who would be there for the long haul, who would promote youth and who would provide a clean image for the club.

Mourinho has shown himself to be confrontational, not stayed at one club for more than 3 years and has promoted very few youth players.

I don't see Pellegrini staying there for the long-haul. Moyes I can agree with though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3374
Mourinho has promoted very few youth players.

Slightly true. It wasn't his fault though. At Porto, he was very ambitious and wanted to win big trophies. He already had a young Porto squad after some signings. He wasn't gonna put too much emphasis on youth which proved to be a correct decision by winning the UEFA cup and Champions League with Porto.

At Chelsea, their youth prospects weren't very good. But Jose still tried to promote/sign youth when he could (e.g. Hutchinson, Huth, Mikel, Sidwell, Kalou etc) and urge Chelsea to reform their youth academy. And Jose's and Roman's targets were to win lots of trophies. Which he did. So it could be argued he was right not to put too much emphasis on youth.

At Inter, again their youth academy wasn't very good and Jose tried to change it. He promoted Santon and used him at fullback on many occasions. He gave Balotelli many games. And again, Moratti and Jose's aims were to win big. So Jose wasn't gonna put too much emphasis on youth. The correct decision when Jose won Inter a CL trophy.

At Madrid, they had better youth prospects and signings. And Jose did make use of them. Off the top of my head, he has given Morata, Callejon, Varane, Di Maria, Khedira a lot of games altogether. Of course, the aim of the Madrid president and Jose was big success. So Jose wouldn't put too much emphasis on youth. Ok, Jose didn't have great success overall at Madrid but when he won the league, he won it in style and broke many records.

I think it's unfair that Jose has gotten a reputation of not knowing how to work with youth. But hopefully, he can prove himself at Chelsea where he has better youth prospects to work with than ever before.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3375
By youth he means youth academy, I understand the problems with chelsea, lets be honest here our youth prospects at the time were crap, we'd come up with one good player of a chelsea mainstay quality every ten years. He did fairly well with porto however. Carvalho being the main example, he also promoted bosingwa too and had a fairly young squad.

With inter he did use balotelli quite a bit, in fact balotelli has had the most appearances in a season under jose mourinho than any other manager.
He could have kept bonucci but tbh he was part of the milito deal. He was also able to promote santon.

However the problem has never been him not being able to use a young squad. Real madrid are a testiment to that, di maria, ozil, khedira, marcelo, benzema were crucial parts of the team. The problem has been promoting players from the youth academy directly, but if we look at most managers and teams, the only teams who have done that very successfully recently from academy players have been bayern, barcelona and AC milan, arsenal too to an extent recently(not in the early wenger era though as buying a load of french players for cheap in a golden age of french football is nothing major, people do the same thing with germany now) but its a very hard job to do.

If we look at youth academy players/people who have come through castilla he's used, Callejon, granero and morata are the first 3 that come to mind, jese rodriguez and nacho as well in fact nacho even got a decent run in the team last season. I think he made a mistake in selling dani carvajal as he could have been useful this season at right back instead of putting essien there but real are getting him back anyway.

I'd say that mourinho has done what he could with the youth.
(edited 10 years ago)
Looking forward to seeing what Mourinho does next season with such a group of talented players:smile:
''This club has a special fanbase''

JM is right about one thing....
Reply 3378
Original post by The Assassin
Oscar apparently played brilliantly against France - and this time he was as an attacking mid (I think) rather than winger. Really hope we don't waste him on the wings anymore.

I don't see Pellegrini staying there for the long-haul. Moyes I can agree with though.

Personally we should play more fluid and interchange some more during the game. In that case then oscar, mata and hazard will all get time out wide and in the middle, plus it will confuse the defenders much more, it's best for situations where we need to dominate the opposition. Bayern munich do this system pretty well and you see robben, muller and ribery frequently interchange and makes for a fluid triumvirate that's hard to be picked up by the opposition.

I think under benitez we had the link up play etc but you didn't see players change position too much it was always mata in the middle mainly and hazard on the left side and oscar on right wing.
Original post by jam277
Personally we should play more fluid and interchange some more during the game. In that case then oscar, mata and hazard will all get time out wide and in the middle, plus it will confuse the defenders much more, it's best for situations where we need to dominate the opposition. Bayern munich do this system pretty well and you see robben, muller and ribery frequently interchange and makes for a fluid triumvirate that's hard to be picked up by the opposition.

I think under benitez we had the link up play etc but you didn't see players change position too much it was always mata in the middle mainly and hazard on the left side and oscar on right wing.

Robben and Ribery don't mind going back into defense to get the ball.
Hazard rarely goes back to defend and Oscar would probably be slammed if he were to attempt to defend because he's just too weak.
David Luiz can play the Schweinstiger role well though if he gets the chance.

Latest