The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CureSam
18.2cm^3=0.0182dm^3
0.0182*0.02=3.6*10^-4 moles of MnO4 (vol*conc=moles)
3.6*10^-4*(5/2)=9*10^-4 (moles of H2O2 from the equation)
That number of H2O2 is in 10cm^3, which is 0.01dm^3, giving a concentration of 0.09moles/dm^3, but the solution has been diluted by 10, meaning the original concentration 0.9mol/dm^3.

Hope this helps!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 41
C14H12O3 + 3OH- ----> (C14H9O3) 3- + 3H2O

can someone please explain why we get C14H9O3) 3- ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by tasniaa
how's everyone feeling about this exam?

Much better than the first time I sat it, now that i've done F334 and F335.
Reply 43
Original post by suncake
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1sdHMYjo9qqZslsPAlbdN_DoQTxO0gEJapvUKPDHMPMnjkPKS3egQH2XDf5ja/edit?usp=sharing

Here you go. Yeah, ignore the incorrect scribbles then :wink: And excuse my awful scanning skills :lol:

Brilliant, thanks for uploading. The paper actually didn't seem too bad, just those god-awful grade boundaries that put my two grades below where I needed.

Could you explain 2(c)(iii)? I don't understand why ethanoic acid can hydrogen bond, but compound D only has pd-pd bonding.

Thanks loads if you can. :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by tsr1
C14H12O3 + 3OH- ----> (C14H9O3) 3- + 3H2O

can someone please explain why we get C14H9O3) 3- ?

3 OH groups that can donate 3 protons/hydrogen atoms to the base (OH-), so you're left with 3 negative oxygen atoms, giving a minus charge of 3.
Reply 45
Original post by abzy1234
3 OH groups that can donate 3 protons/hydrogen atoms to the base (OH-), so you're left with 3 negative oxygen atoms, giving a minus charge of 3.

3 OH on the alcohol will donate the H+ isn't? and thanks it was just in an equation form which made it harder for me to understand..:smile:
Reply 46
Original post by tsr1
3 OH on the alcohol will donate the H+ isn't? and thanks it was just in an equation form which made it harder for me to understand..:smile:

Yup and no problem :biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by tsr1

Be careful, a hydroxyl group on an alcohol won't donate a proton, only a cardboxylic acid.
Reply 48
Original post by CureSam
You must have got like 90% ums on that?

Nope :frown: 74/90 raw marks was 76/90 ums, so about 84% ums.

Original post by gingernat
Brilliant, thanks for uploading. The paper actually didn't seem too bad, just those god-awful grade boundaries that put my two grades below where I needed.

Could you explain 2(c)(iii)? I don't understand why ethanoic acid can hydrogen bond, but compound D only has pd-pd bonding.

Thanks loads if you can. :biggrin:

No bother :smile:
Carboxylic acids can form hydrogen bonds with each other because of the OH in the COOH group.

Esters like compound D however do not contain an OH group, so don't have a suitable slightly positive hydrogen that can bond to the slightly negative oxygen on their carbonyl group. The hydrogens on the CH bond can't form H bonds because C and H have similar electronegativities, so it's not a polar bond and the H isn't slightly negative.

I hope that made sense (and is actually correct :ninja:)... I hate intermolecular bonds :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by CureSam
Be careful, a hydroxyl group on an alcohol won't donate a proton, only a cardboxylic acid.

u make sense but the question said its an alcohol... confused
Reply 50
How do we calculate the rate of disappearance? Last question on Jan13
Reply 51
Reply 52
Original post by tasniaa

Today's paper was good practice for mass spec :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tasniaa

This paper is the bane of my life

Got AAA in the AS units
an A(*) in A2 coursework, a mid B in Chem of Design
all the above being first attempts
yet a E then D then C in chem of mateirals
resulting in a B overall

:angry:
Reply 54
does anyone have the Jan 2013 MARK SCHEME? :biggrin:
Reply 55
Original post by 11hokj1
does anyone have the Jan 2013 MARK SCHEME? :biggrin:

Here you go :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by super121
Here you go :smile:

Thank you. And good luck next week! :biggrin:
Reply 57
I'm literally sick with all the chemistry revision. Constantly regurgitating stuff one learnt from last year certainly ain't fun :tongue:
Reply 58
Original post by abzy1234
I'm literally sick with all the chemistry revision. Constantly regurgitating stuff one learnt from last year certainly ain't fun :tongue:

Same here. And I absolutely hate F334. Thought it was harder than F335! But yesterday's F335 was horrible too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by 11hokj1
Same here. And I absolutely hate F334. Thought it was harder than F335! But yesterday's F335 was horrible too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right! F335 has badly demotivated me for the F334 exam, knowing that the former has the heavier weighting doesn't help either. Well I guess all we can do is aim to do the best for this exam and hope we get the grade we want :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending