The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Implications Paper 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by freaakk
Is anyone doing Jamieson, Lafollette and Schneewind?
If so who do you think is most likely to come up?

I am! I'm hoping it'll be Lafollette as his work is the easiest - and he hasn't come up for 2 years so it's looking good. Schneewind came up last year, so I doubt the paper will be on him. UNLESS Edexcel decide to mess with us and put Schneewind in 2 years running. I'm revising them all just incase.
Reply 21
What the structure of exam, I'm struggling so much on this.
Reply 22
Original post by kammy786
donovan wiill come up 50% - Ayer 75% - Westphal 50% id revise all them like im revising for this exam all in one day

not sure that quite works out mathmatically..
Reply 23
Original post by eliza3
I am! I'm hoping it'll be Lafollette as his work is the easiest - and he hasn't come up for 2 years so it's looking good. Schneewind came up last year, so I doubt the paper will be on him. UNLESS Edexcel decide to mess with us and put Schneewind in 2 years running. I'm revising them all just incase.

Jamieson came up last year though?
Reply 24
Original post by Fergy94
Jamieson came up last year though?

Oops sorry, I meant Jamieson not Schneewind.
Either way, I think we still have a good chance of seeing Lafollette. Hopefully.
Original post by iBlueBox
What the structure of exam, I'm struggling so much on this.

You clarify the extract in part a, basically explain it and relate it to other scholars e.g. use James to back Donovan up when he talks about religious experiences

In part b you talk about how this could effect the wider world e.g. if religious experiences are fake then argument from rel exp is lessened in worth and thus religions should stop being taught in school.

Then give your point of view e.g. personally I think that the argument from religious experience is a weak argument however I think that other arguments work, such as the Design argument and the Ontological argument
So far I have spent all day revising Ayer so jesus I hope he comes up! I think I'll do some Westphal now and then a tiny bit of Donovan
Original post by paleophelia
So far I have spent all day revising Ayer so jesus I hope he comes up! I think I'll do some Westphal now and then a tiny bit of Donovan

I've done mostly Westphal today, gunna focus on Ayer now. Donovan ... maybe tomorrow morning seeing as it's a PM exam :L
Original post by Sherlockedd
I've done mostly Westphal today, gunna focus on Ayer now. Donovan ... maybe tomorrow morning seeing as it's a PM exam :L

I really wish I had the morning to revise but I have my french exam till 12pm aargh!
Original post by paleophelia
I really wish I had the morning to revise but I have my french exam till 12pm aargh!

Ugh that sucks bro :frown:
Reply 30
Original post by Jordan*P
Ah I got excited thinking there was finally a thread! But it appears you're doing another option to me as I'm studying Jamieson, LaFollette and Schneewind.

Hey thats what i am doing as well! How are you finding it?
Reply 31
Original post by eliza3

Lafollete SHOULD come up, but im severely worried they're going to throw in Schneewind :s-smilie:
Reply 32
If Ayer or Westphal doesnt come up, the whole country sitting the exam looks like its gonna be screwed... my teacher marks this paper and she said it would mean if Donovan came up...:confused:
Ayer hasnt come up in the last three years right?
Reply 34
IF ayer or westphal doesnt come up i've failed :frown: DONOVAN JUS A HEADACHE
Original post by andrewspratt95
Ayer hasnt come up in the last three years right?

Original post by kammy786
IF ayer or westphal doesnt come up i've failed :frown: DONOVAN JUS A HEADACHE

Original post by ashleixox
If Ayer or Westphal doesnt come up, the whole country sitting the exam looks like its gonna be screwed... my teacher marks this paper and she said it would mean if Donovan came up...:confused:

Yeah basically, Westphal or Ayer are bound to come up but edexcel are entitled to choose any of the three :/
Reply 36
Reply 37
If donovan comes up we all fail if ayer comes up we ace it lol
Reply 38
Original post by ashleixox

Since it seems like everyone is not revising Donovan,
The grade boundaries wont be set until after they are marked, so if it does come up, the grade boundaries will be super low and even remembering some of the key points would probably get you an A :cool:
Reply 39
I have been looking at the mark scheme and an example essay on Westphal, and it looks like to score well you need,
For part a:
1. Introduction of the author (There were lots of examiners comments about students just going straight into ideas, and not mentioning the source)
2. Quickly focus in on the actual extract given (The examiners are lazy and like to see you answering the question before you start to expand)
3. Stick in some key terms at the start ('kernel', 'husk' for Westphal, 'metaphysical', 'logical positivist' for Ayer)
4. Mention some of the key points in the rest of the text, but be sure to tie them in to the extract
5. Stick some references to other texts in there to get higher marks (Ayer fits particularly well with Religious Experience, and for Westphal an in depth analysis of the Kant-Hume, as well as Freud should give some key marks)
6. Give the examiner a good last impression with a concise and clear conclusion that brings everything you talked about together.
7. Keep an eye on the time! You get 1hr, 15mins, which should be about 50 mins for part a

For part b:
1. A strong introduction emphasising your view,
2. Careful evaluation of problems with the text, with reference to the extract in question.
3. Strengths and whether you agree with them (a good trick is to not go outright for all the strengths or weaknesses, but instead disagree with some and agree with others, reaching a sensible conclusion)
4. Evaluate the implications for religion (for religion as a whole, as well as on individual people and the rest of the world)
5. Evaluate all your thoughts (if you have time left) in a concise and clear conclusion - You want to leave the examiner with a good last impression!

Extra stuff: The ones in examiners reports seem to favour writing a plan first - It should help you keep a clear structure, as well as showing the examiner you mean business when he first looks at your paper!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending