The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jimmy_95
What are your opinions on the isa grade boundaries this year? Do you think they will go up, down or remain the same as last year?

They are usually high.... hmm not sure why :tongue: I'll be expecting no more than 50% of the UMS obtained on my ISAs lol :/ no one ever does well at our school.

Well we all didn't think we did that bad at AS last year, but the class were scraping Es it turned out in the end
Original post by posthumus
They are usually high.... hmm not sure why :tongue: I'll be expecting no more than 50% of the UMS obtained on my ISAs lol :/ no one ever does well at our school.

Well we all didn't think we did that bad at AS last year, but the class were scraping Es it turned out in the end

Yo how was unit 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldudeman
Yo how was unit 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not so great, but I think the paper in general was okay... I just didn't really prepare for it, and wasn't expecting to improve anyway... I've had way too many exams :frown:

Was busy preparing for C3 as well, but that turned out to be a frickin' disaster lol :smile:

How'd you find PHYA4?
Reply 563
can anyone help me with part c of this question? it's not an applied topic

Untitled.jpg
Original post by jethacan

Untitled.jpg

I think it'd be much lower than 40 degrees Celsius because since it's not insulated... it will reach thermal equilibrium with the room... so the water will reach room temperature (or a little bit above it), but definitely lower than 40 degrees I would have thought.
Reply 565
Wow how is there 29 pages in this thread already? The unit 4 one had no where near as much a week before the exam

Untitled.jpg

It would be lower as your calculations take no account for heat loss to the environment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fizzbizz
Wow how is there 29 pages in this thread already? The unit 4 one had no where near as much a week before the exam

This is nothing compared to the BIO5 thread, 115 pages there so far...:P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 568
Anyone doing medical physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could someone link the A2 and astrophysics formula sheets? I can't seem to find them on the AQA website. Thanks.
Reply 570
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Could someone link the A2 and astrophysics formula sheets? I can't seem to find them on the AQA website. Thanks.

Try looking at the bottom of the specification:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2450-W-SP.PDF

pages 68-71

Untitled.jpg

I think it'd be much lower than 40 degrees Celsius because since it's not insulated... it will reach thermal equilibrium with the room... so the water will reach room temperature (or a little bit above it), but definitely lower than 40 degrees I would have thought.

Original post by laser174572
It would be lower as your calculations take no account for heat loss to the environment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't it be higher, because the average temperature of the ice/water throughout the experiment is below the room temperature, and so there will be a net flow of heat into the water/ice?
Would you have to state the doppler shift of wavelength is negative for a source moving towards the receiver?
Reply 573
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Would you have to state the doppler shift of wavelength is negative for a source moving towards the receiver?

Yes, I think it's an important enough distinction.
Original post by bugsuper
Yes, I think it's an important enough distinction.

Ah ok, I wasn't sure if the doppler shift was a vector or scalar quantity.
Original post by laser174572

Posted from TSR Mobile

But if it's lower then surely it is losing heat ? Since it is uninsulated it will lose heat to the room (which I assume is of significant volume also), and will reach thermal equilibrium with the room? :confused: I think I may have misunderstood the question also, I thought they do the experiment obtain a water of 40 degrees & then leave it in the room :tongue: So I was probably incorrect to mention thermal equilibrium...

I'm confused now because an insulated container would absorb some of the heat, creating heat loss... but an uninsulated container would create greater heat loss into the room? Which has a significant volume and a much lower temperature. Confused :frown:

Original post by SpiggyTopes
Wouldn't it be higher, because the average temperature of the ice/water throughout the experiment is below the room temperature, and so there will be a net flow of heat into the water/ice?

Not sure what you mea :frown: they did say the whole procedure was repeated... and at the end of the procedure the temperature of the water was 40 degrees when previously done in an insulated container:smile: But I'm thinking if it's uninsulated this time then there will be ever greater energy loss to the surrounding

Not sure what you mea :frown: they did say the whole procedure was repeated... and at the end of the procedure the temperature of the water was 40 degrees when previously done in an insulated container:smile: But I'm thinking if it's uninsulated this time then there will be ever greater energy loss to the surrounding

But at the start and through most of the experiment, the ice/water is colder than the surroundings- so it will gain energy from the surroundings.
Original post by SpiggyTopes
But at the start and through most of the experiment, the ice/water is colder than the surroundings- so it will gain energy from the surroundings.

OMG, never thought of that :tongue: Yh I think you are very right :biggrin:

Thanks for bringing that up, I didn't even consider the initial conditions of the procedure!
Reply 578
But if it's lower then surely it is losing heat ? Since it is uninsulated it will lose heat to the room (which I assume is of significant volume also), and will reach thermal equilibrium with the room? :confused: I think I may have misunderstood the question also, I thought they do the experiment obtain a water of 40 degrees & then leave it in the room :tongue: So I was probably incorrect to mention thermal equilibrium...

I'm confused now because an insulated container would absorb some of the heat, creating heat loss... but an uninsulated container would create greater heat loss into the room? Which has a significant volume and a much lower temperature. Confused :frown:

I think it is because the ice initially -14 degrees in an insulated room and after 30 s the ice is 0 degrees.But now we have an uninsulated room at 25 degrees more ice will turn into water as heat energy from the surrounding is absorbed by the ice.So the final temp will be higher as thermal energy is transferred from a warmer body to a cooler one.
I hope that makes sense if any :smile:
Smith
Reply 579
Just curious, how we're you guys taught the applied topic? Did you have "proper" lessons? Because we just had half an hour in a lunchtime every week... XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending