The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ehtisham_1
Hey guys can someone help me with question 4 on topic 12.1 in the the nelson thrones book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A) p1v1=p2v2

(1.20 x 10^-4 +x)(110000) = (1.20 x 10^-4)(135000)

Solve for x.

B) 110000(1.2 x10^-4 +2.7x10-5 - x) = (1.20 x 10^-4 - x)(141000)
Where x is the difference in volume due to the powder. Solve for x and you should get 2.32 x10^-5.
Then it's a simple case of mass/volume =density.
Reply 861
Original post by Pinkhead
p1v1=p2v2

p1=99000, v1 = 3.5x10^-4
v2= v1+ 6.5x10^-5
should get something like 83Kpa

I don't understand why you would add on the volumes? I thought you would subtract it as the volume of bottle would be getting less.

Or is it because as they're joined, the volume of pump increases so the volume of bottle would also increase?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 862
How's everyone feeling about this exam? I personally think it's deceptively easier than unit 4; kinda makes me think I'm missing something...

I dislike some thermodynamics (I'm doing the applied physics option) but apart from that it should be okay, fingers crossed! :biggrin:
Reply 863
Original post by TauMuon
How's everyone feeling about this exam? I personally think it's deceptively easier than unit 4; kinda makes me think I'm missing something...

I dislike some thermodynamics (I'm doing the applied physics option) but apart from that it should be okay, fingers crossed! :biggrin:

In some ways it is actually easier than unit 4, but for some reason I don't feel like it is and I'm more nervous about this exam than unit 4.
But if AQA are generous with this one, i should be ok
Reply 864
I haven't started revising until tomorrow... am I screwed?
Reply 865
Original post by The H
In some ways it is actually easier than unit 4, but for some reason I don't feel like it is and I'm more nervous about this exam than unit 4.
But if AQA are generous with this one, i should be ok

"If AQA are generous with this one"

Bwahahahaha, don't make me laugh...

Every single AQA paper I've done so far has been nasty :'(
Reply 866
Original post by Namige

Coffee is about to become your best friend :wink:
Reply 867
Original post by TauMuon
"If AQA are generous with this one"

Bwahahahaha, don't make me laugh...

Every single AQA paper I've done so far has been nasty :'(

Sorry slipped on the keyboard :s-smilie:
Reply 868
need help on question 1b ii) in page 219 of the nelson thornes book

it doesn't give you the molar mass of oxygen, how the heck are you supposed to work it out?
Original post by Namige

Time will tell, time will tell :troll:
Reply 870
Original post by TauMuon

I agree, I'm doing applied too but I think its all pretty good! Feeling a lot more confident than for phya4.

Just need to think straight, calmly and rationally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 871
I've got a feeling they are going to give a few synoptic questions. I would go over things like circular motion just to be on the safe side. For those doing astro, how are you feeling?
Reply 872
Nuclear physics is my weakest part of P5, hope it's not as bad as last years
Reply 873
Original post by TauMuon
Coffee is about to become your best friend :wink:
Well I just looked at the past papers(skim read) and the textbook, and it all looks pretty easy... I suppose I'll have to get cracking on the past papers tomorrow.. I find unit 5 to be so much more simple than unit 4.. does anyone agree? Or am I deluded..
Reply 874
Original post by Jack93o
need help on question 1b ii) in page 219 of the nelson thornes book

it doesn't give you the molar mass of oxygen, how the heck are you supposed to work it out?

I think they just expect you to know that oxygen gas (O2) has a molar mass of 32 gmol-1

Edit: I'm certain in a new-spec paper they would give it to you though :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 875
Original post by Namige
Well I just looked at the past papers(skim read) and the textbook, and it all looks pretty easy... I suppose I'll have to get cracking on the past papers tomorrow.. I find unit 5 to be so much more simple than unit 4.. does anyone agree? Or am I deluded..

I agree completely! There was so much to learn in unit 4, and so many equations! Not to mention a lot of the fields stuff can be quite conceptually difficult... this unit definitely seems more straightforward. :P
Original post by TauMuon
I agree completely! There was so much to learn in unit 4, and so many equations! Not to mention a lot of the fields stuff can be quite conceptually difficult... this unit definitely seems more straightforward. :P

Yup I agree with this too, though there is a lot to learn for medical physics for me! Still I find unit 5 easier than unit 4.
Reply 877
Original post by TauMuon
I think they just expect you to know that oxygen gas (O2) has a molar mass of 32 gmol-1

Edit: I'm certain in a new-spec paper they would give it to you though :P

thats a relief to know
Reply 878
Original post by Namige

depends really, the 6 markers in unit 4 are pretty good because they don't ask you to describe practicals and that how science works stuff, instead they usually just ask you to talk about/describe a concept

btw what sort of 6 markers do we need to get in unit 5? is it similar to unit 4?

also, I'm sure I heard right that in unit 5, we get two 6 markers (one in section A, one in section B) instead of one, so thats worse than unit 4
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 879
Can anyone doing turning points explain why there is a resolution limit in TEM microscopes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending