The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Is it necessary to know the laws of thermodynamics? Wasn't taught them in class

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BenAdamson
I can't find a single unit 5 (thermal & nuclear) mark scheme! AQA site has the exams but no mark schemes! How useless, can't even find any on 3rd party sites! Help!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/exams-guidance/find-past-papers-and-mark-schemes

You have to click on the markschemes for the options, i.e. the markshemes for the nuclear/thermal bits are included in the various option markschemes (at the beginning)

It's not very clear though, I have to say.
Reply 982
Can someone explain balmer lines by bullet points? Textbook wall of texts which don't score any marks are annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A Pink Monster
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/exams-guidance/find-past-papers-and-mark-schemes

You have to click on the markschemes for the options, i.e. the markshemes for the nuclear/thermal bits are included in the various option markschemes (at the beginning)

It's not very clear though, I have to say.

Thanks, that is a very confusing way for them to do it!
Reply 984
I think that the optional units should each have their own thread.

As for the core phya5 unit, you guys know about all the experiments that 6 markers could be about right?
There are 8 of them.

100 ums coming my way
Reply 985
Original post by OmegaKaos

As for the core phya5 unit, you guys know about all the experiments that 6 markers could be about right?
There are 8 of them.

100 ums coming my way

which 8 are you referring to?
Reply 986
why is special relativity so hard to understand? :s
Can someone explain why the pattern isn't like the normal pattern

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 988
Original post by cooldudeman

Posted from TSR Mobile

What paper is that? Never seen that style of diagram in my life.
Reply 989
Original post by OmegaKaos

There are 8 of them.

100 ums coming my way

Which 8?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 990
I was reading the astro notes on the aqa website.

it says the absolute magnitude of Antares is -5.3 and absolute magnitude of Proxima century is 15. Both the stars have the same black-body temperature.

according to them the diameter of Antares is 5500 times that of Proxia century.

i did (2.512^20.3)^1/2 and i get the diameter ratio as 11487 times.

can someone please explain how it's 5500 :frown:
Reply 991
Original post by bugsuper
which 8 are you referring to?

Rutherford Experiment
Ionisation Chamber
Cloud Chamber
Absorption tests
Geiger Tube
Thermal Reactors
Both for finding specific heat capacity- inversion tube and circuit

Not to mention kinetic theory of gases may come up.
Reply 992
The thermal nuclear reactor isn't exactly an experiment. Or, at least, I hope not, because it might be providing the electricity that's charging my laptop as I type
Reply 993
Original post by BenAdamson
I can't find a single unit 5 (thermal & nuclear) mark scheme! AQA site has the exams but no mark schemes! How useless, can't even find any on 3rd party sites! Help!

You have to go undere your section B section.. eg, astro, medical physics, and it will be integrated with that markscheme
Reply 994
If a question said:
An electrical immersion heater supplies 8.5kJ of energy/sec. Water flows through heater at 0.12kg/s.
masss of water in heating chamber = 0.41kg
i) Assuming all energy is transferred to the water, calculate the rise in temp of water as it flows through heater, in kelvin.
specific heat capacity water = 4200 K/kg/K

ii) water suddenly stops flowing at instant when average temp is 26degrees ( celcius). Mass of water = 0.41 kg
calculate time taken for water to reach 100 degrees if immersion heater continues supplying energy at same rate.

THANK YOU!! :smile:
Original post by cooldudeman

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sample scatters the electron so that it doesn't pass through the first kens. That's why at the second lens its deflected less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone's doing astrophysics can they help me with a minor query with the H-R diagram. The following diagram (page 30) is the version given in the specification, but I'm not sure about the values on the temperature/class axis. Is each letter at the centre of the class, or is it the space to right (or even to the left)? Thanks in advance.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2450-W-TRB-OGA.PDF
Reply 997
Guys, this is the first Q from June 2011. It's an equation for beta- decay and you just have to state the nucleon and proton number:

......Pa (233/92 U) + (b−) + (anti-neutrino)

The answer i got was 233 nucleons and 91 protons but the mark scheme has 231 nucleons and 91 protons?
Reply 998
Original post by kingm
Guys, this is the first Q from June 2011. It's an equation for beta- decay and you just have to state the nucleon and proton number:

......Pa (233/92 U) + (b−) + (anti-neutrino)

The answer i got was 233 nucleons and 91 protons but the mark scheme has 231 nucleons and 91 protons?

Yea I think the mark scheme had a mistake. Nucleon number should be the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 999
I'm nervous... anyone else nervous?! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending