The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mattywooda
I wouldn't have thought so, but I guessed that bit :L

Indeed it doesn't deprotonate: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi/searchId.do?chebiId=CHEBI:58570

Does this mean that it was neutral?
Reply 341
Absolutely beautiful paper. Got 1.69 for calculation, and 0.0867 s-1 for other one at end, really easy paper compared to January... January I heard the grade boundaries jumped so high because the exam
Boards were under pressure from
The government or something? You can see a trend with most exams having wayyy higher boundaries... I mean I got
64 raw in January and got 63 ums only... So stupid should have got an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did people put for

-If the zwitterion was neutral/acidic/alkali?

-The cis/trans isomerism?
What are we predicting for an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Futuristicmedic
What are we predicting for an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say same as jan 13, i don't really think it was any easier to be honest
Original post by hannah1994
I'd say same as jan 13, i don't really think it was any easier to be honest

Would it not be slightly lower due to the calibre of students taking the test ? My school only does June exams , but at other schools only those retaking will be doing this paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 346
Original post by EdwinLo
Heat under reflux with acidified potassium dichromate and distil off in situ as the reaction progresses.

Heat under reflux and distil is a con, you cant do both, you just had to say distil.
Marks:
Acidified (1)
Dichromate (1)
Distil (1)
Reply 347
Original post by hannah1994
What did people put for

-If the zwitterion was neutral/acidic/alkali?

-The cis/trans isomerism?

I said it would be acidic as the phenol group donates extra protons.

Then for the cis/trans, I said the ring structure restricted rotation (like the c=c bond would in other e/z molecules) which allowed the amine groups to be on the same or opposite sides

I'm hoping these are correct but don't hold me to it if I'm wrong! :smile:
Reply 348
Original post by ElChapo
Heat under reflux and distil is a con, you cant do both, you just had to say distil.
Marks:
Acidified (1)
Dichromate (1)
Distil (1)

Wasn't the question something like what are the conditions to oxidise an alcohol, and how could he make sure that only the aldehyde was produced or something? Or what was it?
Reply 349
Original post by EdwinLo
Wasn't the question something like what are the conditions to oxidise an alcohol, and how could he make sure that only the aldehyde was produced or something? Or what was it?

Yeah it wanted the reagent(s) and conditions to make sure you formed an aldehyde, and thats to distil it, refluxing would give you a carboxylic acid
Reply 350
Original post by ElChapo
Yeah it wanted the reagent(s) and conditions to make sure you formed an aldehyde, and thats to distil it, refluxing would give you a carboxylic acid

Damn that sucks I always thought you could "reflux and distil off the product" and my teachers never corrected me...So do you think that would lose 1 mark then? Would I get the other 2 for acidified potassium dichromate?
Original post by Pandora's Box
Does this mean that it was neutral?

Google is your friend. Quick search shows tyrosine neutral and polar (http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/561aminostructure.html).
Reply 352
Original post by EdwinLo
Damn that sucks I always thought you could "reflux and distil off the product" and my teachers never corrected me...So do you think that would lose 1 mark then? Would I get the other 2 for acidified potassium dichromate?

Yes you should do, only 1 mark though
Reply 353
Is there an unofficial mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 354
What did people put for that rate question with the graph?
Reply 355
Original post by ElChapo
Yes you should do, only 1 mark though

Only 1 mark lost or only 1 mark gained?
Original post by Mattywooda
Google is your friend. Quick search shows tyrosine neutral and polar (http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/561aminostructure.html).

I love, so it was definatly neutral? :smile:

Original post by EdwinLo

Did you do that past papers? As these exact conditions have come up on several past papers.
Reply 357
Original post by Richyp22
I love, so it was definatly neutral? :smile:

Did you do that past papers? As these exact conditions have come up on several past papers.

I did one, and that was my mock.
Reply 358
Original post by EdwinLo
Only 1 mark lost or only 1 mark gained?

Lost
Reply 359
I'm pretty sure tyrosine should be acidic, because the twitterion is neutral, and there is a phenol group as well?

Latest

Trending

Trending