The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hullo
Ideal gas with molecules which are identical, no intermolecular forces, negligible volume and random motion :confused:

That's what I wrote but Bugsuper has destroyed my hopes of getting that right :frown:
Original post by Pinkhead
massenergy.gif

Yeah I used my point P as a guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kenna
What did people get for the energy release on the 1st question? I think mine was around 230 Mev.... can't remember exactly.

I think I got about twenty something. :s-smilie:
Reply 1523
Original post by Little Wing
You're right, they were talking about the spent fuel rods i.e the neutron rich daughter nuclei, saying fuel rods doesn't mean anything.

I hope you're right... I also talked about Thorium; is that the major decay product of uranium? I got that from somewhere in my head but I've no idea if it's right.

Either way the question was worded poorly, given that a lot of people said spent fuel rods and a lot went for the actual nuceli.
Reply 1524
what did people doing applied get for the angular deaccalearon? 0.785? and the new temprature of the gas before the long 6 marker at the end, 931 or something?
I thought the paper was quite straightforward compared to the older ones, turning points especially wasn't too difficult. I'd expect boundaries similar to June 2010.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1526
Original post by Pinkhead
massenergy.gif

At least i got something right haha! Thanks
Reply 1527
My graph went through the point at roughly 0.87c ish and 2mo. Then was asymptotic to 1c.

My mass of ice was 0.015kg with the prove the temperature at 8.41.

Could not prove the charge on the droplet was 1.6x10-19?! Kept getting 2.5x10-19 wtf....

Trying to remember other answers. :wink:
I said idea gas obeys pv=nrt, and say what each of the letters mean, do you think i will get the marks?
Original post by des1001
what did people doing applied get for the angular deaccalearon? 0.785? and the new temprature of the gas before the long 6 marker at the end, 931 or something?

Yes i got something like that too!
Original post by Hullo
Ideal gas with molecules which are identical, no intermolecular forces, negligible volume and random motion :confused:

I said something along these lines also.
Original post by TerminatorFive
I got like 27 or something, so youre probably fight :P

So annoying cant remember what i put argh! But wasnt it something like:
4.something - 4. something... then X by 931? :smile:
Reply 1532
Original post by TerminatorFive
I got like 27 or something, so youre probably fight :P

Wait could have got that.... can't remember! haha
Original post by josephtsui
I got around 24.7 for the MeV question. Yeh you have include the positrons.

I personally don't think so, I neglected the mass of the positrons and still got 24.7 MeV, their mass is tiny and I'm pretty sure they're not given in the table of fundamental values, either way the answer is 24.7 if you take into account the mass of the positrons or not I guess?
Reply 1534
Original post by Kenna
My graph went through the point at roughly 0.87c ish and 2mo. Then was asymptotic to 1c.

Could not prove the charge on the droplet was 1.6x10-19?! Kept getting 2.5x10-19 wtf....

Same, I just said its quantsised so it has to be a multiple of 1.6x10^-19 and its the closest multiple

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kenna

I got the charge one wrong as well but figured it out after I left the exam hall..
It's because in the previous question the answer was 3.something x10^-19 and any value below this would have to be 1.6x10^-19 since charges on a droplet are quantised.
Original post by Kenna

Yeah 0.87c. That means we got the part before right too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrwho
How is that 'elastic'? I said that because I had no idea, but it goes explicitly against what was stated in the question.

I think it's because Ek is conserved and the moderator atoms are stationary so the Ek is shared between the two , therefore slowing neutrons down as they're Ek is lower than before
What equation did you lit use for the last part of q4? In sec A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by #Bi-Winning
I personally don't think so, I neglected the mass of the positrons and still got 24.7 MeV, their mass is tiny and I'm pretty sure they're not given in the table of fundamental values, either way the answer is 24.7 if you take into account the mass of the positrons or not I guess?

The mass of a positron is the same as the mass of an electron I think, which is given in the table.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending