The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MangoFreak
I have my Sixth Form induction on Monday and Tuesday so I suppose I need to fix myself by tomorrow :mmm: I could try sleeping now, but I'll probably just end up being up all night and hopefully through most of the day :tongue:

Tu me disgust... :ahee:
Original post by aasvogel
I knew it was an Afrikaans word for vulture! And I knew 'vogel' was bird, but didn't know it was that in Dutch. :tongue:

:cool:
Yhhh you'll find that there are many funny similarities between Dutch and Afrikaans!
Afrikaans basically descended from 17th century Dutch but it has evolved over time...So what sparked your interest in obscure Afrikaans words?? :tongue: :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Tu me disgust... :ahee:

Verpiss dich :emo: :tongue: Ich habe viele Sendungen, fernzusehen :awesome:
Verpiss dich :emo: :tongue:

:eek: barre-toi :rolleyes: ou je trouverai quelqu'un te baisse... :mmm:

ไหร่รรบาทสส
:eek: barre-toi :rolleyes: ou je trouverai quelqu'un te baisse... :mmm:

ไหร่รรบาทสส

Es scheint, dass mein Computer diese Zeichen nicht verarbeiten kann :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Es scheint, dass mein Computer diese Zeichen nicht verarbeiten kann :lol:

You don't like my Thai?:colone:
Original post by Ronove
I think I have the Großwörterbuch version - the second one on there. I have no idea when a new one is likely to come out unfortunately. Though luckily I don't think it matters for you in the slightest. There is nothing advanced in these dictionaries, and as far as I know there are very few neologisms as well. It's a dictionary for learners of German, not for natives, so there's no reason for them to put anything fancy or questionable in them. That's probably why there's never any new versions - there are no changes worth making. You should be perfectly fine with a used copy of one of the latest ones you can find. :smile:

I have taken a giant step and... ordered!
Reply 3107
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I have taken a giant step and... ordered!

:party:
You don't like my Thai?:colone:

Ich habe das nicht gesagt :frown: :tongue: Ich kann doch in (auf?) meinem Computer es nicht sehen :dontknow:
Gute Nacht!

And here's something I want to know. If aas means carrion in German and Afrikaans, when did it become ace in Dutch? And does the English ace have any relationship with the Dutch aas?
Reply 3110
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Gute Nacht!

And here's something I want to know. If aas means carrion in German and Afrikaans, when did it become ace in Dutch? And does the English ace have any relationship with the Dutch aas?

Well As is ace in German. The three of them are the same word - that much is clear (if you think about the chances of them just happening to look and sound virtually the same - there are far, far more tenuous links that can still safely be taken to represent a family connection).

As for why carrion is Aas in German, I have no idea. I'm sure there's a simple enough explanation but I'm far too tired to Google...
Ich habe das nicht gesagt :frown: :tongue: Ich kann doch in (auf?) meinem Computer es nicht sehen :dontknow:

That's überhaupt not wrong...but I would have said:
"Das habe ich nicht gesagt. Ich kann es doch nicht auf/in meinem Computer sehen!"
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo
That's überhaupt not wrong...but I would have said:
"Das habe ich nicht gesagt. Ich kann es doch nicht auf/in meinem Computer sehen!"

I wasn't thinking much of word order, because I was trying very hard to work out whether I should use "auf" or "in" :lol: :mmm:
Hablo español, *français*, *English (obviously) and a bit of *Deutsch* :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tess_rach
Hablo español, *français*, *English (obviously) and a bit of *Deutsch* :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Willkommen :ahee: Wie viel Deutsch kannst du?
I wasn't thinking much of word order, because I was trying very hard to work out whether I should use "auf" or "in" :lol: :mmm:

Don't look at me...I'm grammar impaired :tongue:

I don't know what auf is :tongue:

Original post by tess_rach

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bonjour! Je parle un peu d'espagnol :biggrin:
Original post by Ronove
Well As is ace in German. The three of them are the same word - that much is clear (if you think about the chances of them just happening to look and sound virtually the same - there are far, far more tenuous links that can still safely be taken to represent a family connection).

As for why carrion is Aas in German, I have no idea. I'm sure there's a simple enough explanation but I'm far too tired to Google...
Ah, it all makes sense now I know about the As-ace!

Thank you!

In :tongue:
Original post by constantmeowage
In :tongue:

My first instinct :smug: :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending