The Student Room Group

Female tennis players out of shape!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phillipsherman

As an athlete that relies on running/cardiovascular you would expect them to have a lower body fat than the picture.

Cardio is actually quite far down the order of priorities for a tennis player, ball precision and court skill eclipses everything else. It's not like squash / badminton etc which have massive targets areas and lightning fast play to compensate.

It obviously helps and is a big thing they work on, but if you can play a match and not have your play suffer excessively, you're far better working on your racquet play.

And body fat doesn't correlate to bad cardio anyway, as long as you're not overweight.
Reply 41
Original post by SciFiRory
:facepalm2:

awful awful thread, so you are in better shape then these professional athletes are you?

this is just disgustingly misogynistic and crass as a thread, I really hope this is just a very bad attempt at humour on your part.

Shouting "misogyny" at anything you disagree with really doesn't make for a good argument :rolleyes:
Reply 42
yet still they are/were among the best in the world...sport isn't all about muscle y'know nor how "fit" you look.

plenty of "fit" looking players aren't anything like as good too.

Natural talent only gets you so far. Ronaldo's career started to nose dive when he gained weight, just as Ronaldinho's did. I'd bet Cristiano Ronaldo wouldn't be as good as he is now were it not for the incredible physical condition he has worked to achieve.

There is absolutely nothing misogynistic about what the OP said. There are exceptions, but as a general rule, better shape = better athlete. Nobody is suggesting that all women can or should look like Serena Williams, but it's no coincidence that she is in the best shape and just so happens to be the best player.

Get off your high horse.

Original post by Idle
I would say it's the opposite of misogynistic.

Exactly.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd have never guesses the first woman was a professional athlete (I know almost nothing of Tennis, so I've no idea who she is/what she's achieved). I've never seen a woman tennis player with a bit of podge before. Who knows though - if she's just come back from injury / career break, then that wouldn't surprise me. IT would surprise me though if she were to say she feel like she's in her peak physical condition which is what I'd expect from any pro athlete, aside from Rooney and fat Ronaldo.
Cry sexism and let loose the bitches of war.
Original post by Tpx
lol

I assume that you're better at football than Torres and Andy Carroll then?

1. Slim and relatively little muscle sounds like a better combination for tennis than not being slim but still having relatively little muscle like the women in the OP's photo.

2. Noone is criticizing Serena William's shape and I doubt many men are attracted to her.

I don't see why anyone would criticise Serena William's shape, as an athlete. Of course she has a very athletic body. But I really don't think we should be criticising an athlete who has a higher than average (for tennis players) BF% but is still able to perform to an exceptionally high level. Carrying extra weight doesn't make or break you as an athlete. Take a look at some of the hammer throwers.

Besides the woman in the OP could have twice as much muscle as Maria Sharapova but you wouldn't see it unless she became leaner.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Rascacielos
The interesting thing is, looking at Maria Sharapova, she is extremely slim and has very little muscle in her arms (at least in comparison to Serena Williams). Yet nobody criticises her shape, partly because she's the epitome of what many women want to look like and what many men want women to look like, and partly because she wins so many titles. The OP is a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

I would critcise Sharapova as well but I am not going to list every single player :facepalm2: Kvitova is the example I noticed whilst watching her last match at Wimbledon as she still looks out of shape. Having boobs does not mean you have a flabby stomach either. I would have thought as a female you would understand that :dontknow:

Edit: Kvitova winning Wimbledon

Flab :yep:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Rusty Spork
I would critcise Sharapova as well but I am not going to list every single player :facepalm2: Kvitova is the example I noticed whilst watching her last match at Wimbledon as she still looks out of shape. Having boobs does not mean you have a flabby stomach either. I would have thought as a female you would understand that :dontknow:

Edit: Kvitova winning Wimbledon

Flab :yep:

You ignored Maria Sharapova because she's the other extreme and because she defies your logic, not because you simply aren't "going to list every single player. :facepalm2:."

Hell, Kvitova carries more fat than other female tennis players, but she is by no means fat. And I can damn well bet that she's a lot fitter than most women, including those who are slimmer than her (myself included). Women should aim to be strong and fit, not skinny. I think she's a great role model for that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
:rolleyes:

oh and you have a body fat detector from pictures alone do you? get a grip, they don't have to look like a body builder or whatever to be in shape and good at their sport. it's like suggesting Andy Murray doesn't win more because he isn't anorexic or something, it's a stupid argument based solely on your own stupid misconceptions about what female sports people should look like.

Although I do agree that all athletes should be in the best shape possible, SciFiRory does make a point. Look at Rooney for example, he hasn't exactly got the body of Beckham but hey, he runs around all over the pitch in a game, does that mean he isn't fit?

Being out of shape doesn't necessarily mean they are not fit, however the chances are higher of course.
Reply 49
Surely if Kvitova won Wimbledon, she doesn't need to go mental and diet/exercise 24 7. If she can still win without the tone then I don't see the problem!
Reply 50
Original post by Rascacielos
You ignored Maria Sharapova because she's the other extreme and because she defies your logic, not because you simply aren't "going to list every single player. :facepalm2:."

Ok then. "I wholeheartedly criticise Sharapova because she does not have more muscle, which would make her a better player." Now can we move on :facepalm2:

I think that a significant number of the WTA look like they could be in better shape. There is barely any need for extreme footwork in the women's game as hardly anyone has the power to do significant damage which is one of the reasons that none of the WTA players can live with Serena even if she is playing within herself.

If they seriously wanted to challenge her or push themselves to their limit then the majority wouldn't be Sharapova skinny and lacking muscle and there wouldn't be a single player in any slam carrying anything close to excess fat.
Reply 51
Original post by chigyy
Although I do agree that all athletes should be in the best shape possible, SciFiRory does make a point. Look at Rooney for example, he hasn't exactly got the body of Beckham but hey, he runs around all over the pitch in a game, does that mean he isn't fit?

Being out of shape doesn't necessarily mean they are not fit, however the chances are higher of course.

No, it doesn't mean he isn't fit, but it probably means he isn't playing at the level he could with a better physique.
Reply 52
Original post by pane123
No, it doesn't mean he isn't fit, but it probably means he isn't playing at the level he could with a better physique.

Wait can I ask you a question first?

Do you even watch football?
Reply 53
Original post by chigyy
Wait can I ask you a question first?

Do you even watch football?

Yes and I know a lot about it. I know, for example, that Alex Ferguson was unhappy with Rooney's personal life, especially his diet.
Reply 54
Original post by chigyy

This has already been dealt with and tbh backs up my point. Yes Rooney is a good player, a very talented athlete but he is not making the absolute best of his ability by not being in the best shape he can possible be. He would be faster, more explosive, stronger etc if he was in top shape. He has been criticised for such in both the press and by Ferguson in the past.

Original post by snapper1
Surely if Kvitova won Wimbledon, she doesn't need to go mental and diet/exercise 24 7. If she can still win without the tone then I don't see the problem!

It isn't a case of her dieting in the sense that she should be slim. She should want to be in the best shape possible with the correct muscle/speed ratio. If she was to do push herself to the absolute limits like Djokovic etc then she might be able to dominate the women's game in a similar way to Serena.

As an athlete near the top of the world game why would you not want to push yourself to your maximum to see what you can achieve. Winning 1,2, 3 titles is fine. Winning 15 because you pushed yourself to your limit is better.

This thread isn't an a question of 'the women aren't good enough to win in the current women's game'. It is a question of 'why don't they push themselves to their maximum'.
Reply 55
I do agree, but look at Federer, he looks like he has barely any muscle on his arms. Just because someone doesn't look like they hit the gym every day pumping iron, doesn't mean they aren't incredibly fit.
Reply 56
Does this count towards males as well? Last time I checked a player by the name of Michael Russell (never heard of him?) is much more muscular than Roger Federer, but hey Russell hasn't won a title, yet Federer has won quite a few.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Ok then. "I wholeheartedly criticise Sharapova because she does not have more muscle, which would make her a better player." Now can we move on :facepalm2:

Not really, because it doesn't support your argument. She's a damned good tennis player who has beaten Serena Williams on numerous occasions. Instead, it supports my view that there is no specific "shape" an athlete (at least, in tennis) has to have.

Everybody can be in "better" shape. No doubt even Serena Williams herself could be. There are many reasons for the latter's success - her muscle only forms part of it. You can have the most powerful biceps in the world, but it counts for nothing if you don't have the skill to keep it within the lines or the stamina to play 2-3 hours of continuous tennis. In the same way, Maria Sharapova is no doubt a great tennis player but any 'failure' on her part is probably not attributable to her weak arm power. Nor is Kvitova's.

If these aren't muscles, I don't know what they are:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by pandabird
I do agree, but look at Federer, he looks like he has barely any muscle on his arms. Just because someone doesn't look like they hit the gym every day pumping iron, doesn't mean they aren't incredibly fit.

There isn't a bit of excess fat on him though. He has the correct speed/power ratio for him. A lot of the WTA players look like they could push themselves harder and be in better shape.

Reply 59
Original post by Some random guy
Cry sexism and let loose the bitches of war.

Ironically, you're the first sexist post on this thread. We'll done.

Quick Reply

Latest