The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3880
Completely forgot about nuri sahin. Seems that dortmund do produce quite a few good young players from the academy. Bayern are made to look like the villain though(media's hipster like sensationalism of klopp and dortmund caused this) but everyone knows that their academy has been quality for years, it's no surprise that there's a large bayern munich contingent in the national team now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Don't be an idiot. Porto and inter milan he spent less than the likes of fergie. At porto he spent around the same as wenger. This comment just displays bitterness because mourinho was successful at chelsea. In fact it's nothing more than a pathetic troll comment you'd see on the comments section of the daily mail or skysportsnews.

We're not talking about Inter/Porto/Madrid. You was talking about how he has more experience than Moyes because he has won the title. Or at least that's what I'm assuming because you said I was talking nonsense when I said Moyes has the most experience.

I'd rather have a manager who has spent next to nothing and have gotten a club to 6th than a manager who had billions in the bank and managed to win the title.
Original post by Tweek
You don't really warrant an actual response. Good luck with Moyes.

Technically you responded....

Good luck with Mourinho (one of my favourite managers).
Original post by jam277

I'd say the same with fabregas as what you say for reus. Fabregas was basically that normal 16 year old youth squad signing you get from a club but wenger got the best out of him. Would still say reus is a quality player. Only gibbs, cole and wilshere have been arsenal players that ARSENAL have produced. Otherwise I'd go and say that phil jones, wilifried zaha and chris smalling also count here.

Bit different as Barca fought tooth and nail to keep Fabregas, whereas Dortmund proactively released Reus. Also Fabregas was bossing the EPL as a 17 year old whereas Reus played 40 games for a 3rd division German side before a midtable Bundesliga side picked him up at age 20. Its certainly a grey area but to me it just seems strange to call Reus a Dortmund product when he was tossed aside as a worthless 3rd division player, until other clubs polished him up into a 20m player over the next 6 years. At best partial credit. Also dont consider Fabregas an Arsenal product, but I dont think he'd be where he is today without us.

Bertrand is decent but nearly 24 and so at the stage where he needs to be playing and performing week in week out,but he isnt. Havent seen enough of him,but I see Gibbs taking over the LB spot from Cole/Baines. Cleverley amuses me, such a distinctly average player and yet Utd fans talk about his 'potential' when he's nearly 24. When he's 28 I presume they'll be talking about his development 'coming along nicely' :rolleyes: He does a decent job sometimes but if England end up taking him to Brazil, we'll be a laughing stock.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3884
Original post by Manchester United
Technically you responded....

Good luck with Mourinho (one of my favourite managers).

If you re-read my post I stated 'actual'.

Everyone loves Mourinho, whether that's they love him, or the they love to hate him.
Reply 3885
We're not talking about Inter/Porto/Madrid. You was talking about how he has more experience than Moyes because he has won the title. Or at least that's what I'm assuming because you said I was talking nonsense when I said Moyes has the most experience.

I'd rather have a manager who has spent next to nothing and have gotten a club to 6th than a manager who had billions in the bank and managed to win the title.

He's had more experience at the top of the PL. Which is clearly true. Try to argue that's not the case. In terms of the actual prem well maybe it's not the same as 2007 but mou has shown that he's adaptable to different countries and different styles of play so that's no problem either.

I don't get your next bit, it has nothing to do with mourinho's ability or why moyes can deliver the title next season... plus I said already that he doesn't even need excess money to win titles and he's proven it at porto and inter.
Original post by Tweek
If you re-read my post I stated 'actual'.

Everyone loves Mourinho, whether that's they love him, or the they love to hate him.

Out of interest, how long do you think Mourinho will stay at Chelsea?
Reply 3887
Tbd I'd say Arsenal made Fabregas the player he is today, I know he was at Barca until he was about 16 but it wasn't like Pique where it was essentially a loan deal. Fabregas was one of the best CM around 09/10 because he emerged as a leader which he isn't at Barca.

As much as I utterly despise him I agree with Zurich that Reus wasn't homegrown. There's so much more you learn as a pro even in the German 3rd div than as a youth player, physiciality, mentality, pressure etc
Reply 3888
Original post by Zürich
Bit different as Barca fought tooth and nail to keep Fabregas, whereas Dortmund proactively released Reus. Also Fabregas was bossing the EPL as a 17 year old whereas Reus played 40 games for a 3rd division German side before a midtable Bundesliga side picked him up at age 20. Its certainly a grey area but to me it just seems strange to call Reus a Dortmund product when he was tossed aside as a worthless 3rd division player, until other clubs polished him up into a 20m player over the next 6 years. At best partial credit. Also dont consider Fabregas an Arsenal product, but I dont think he'd be where he is today without us.

Bertrand is decent but nearly 24 and so at the stage where he needs to be playing and performing week in week out,but he isnt. Havent seen enough of him,but I see Gibbs taking over the LB spot from Cole/Baines. Cleverley amuses me, such a distinctly average player and yet Utd fans talk about his 'potential' when he's nearly 24. When he's 28 I presume they'll be talking about his development 'coming along nicely' :rolleyes: He does a decent job sometimes but if England end up taking him to Brazil, we'll be a laughing stock.

Agree with you that youth development is a grey area. I guess most clubs unless it's a straight up schweinsteigger/xavi/busquetts/wilshere would have mixed opinions on who developed them. I remember us arguing about the toni kroos/john terry type youth product in fact and who really attributed to their development.

Bertrand does need to be playing a lot more football, it'd be such a shame as I feel he could become a good player for us and fill the void of ashley cole. It's not the italian league either when they suddenly become starters at the age of 26.

The only problem is that england need a player with energy and pace in midfield as we're so slow, the 4-1 defeat by germany has tought england absolutely nothing neither was pirlo making us our bitch in the euros. We'll be forced to take him or someone like him anyway. Personally I'd take henderson to the world cup if he can get good gametime at liverpool next season.
Reply 3889
Out of interest, how long do you think Mourinho will stay at Chelsea?

Longer than last time. Said he wants to re-build the next generation at Chelsea. Roman has stated his intention to do it all again with a new, younger squad and to win with style.

Jose has nothing left to prove now, and Roman doesn't have many managers to chose from. He'll have learnt his lesson.

Love to see Zola come in and manager us when Jose leaves though.
Or maybe Lamps depending on how long Jose stays for.

Expect this to be one of Jose's last club positions before going to manage Portugal.
Reply 3890
Original post by Musester
Tbd I'd say Arsenal made Fabregas the player he is today, I know he was at Barca until he was about 16 but it wasn't like Pique where it was essentially a loan deal. Fabregas was one of the best CM around 09/10 because he emerged as a leader which he isn't at Barca.

As much as I utterly despise him I agree with Zurich that Reus wasn't homegrown. There's so much more you learn as a pro even in the German 3rd div than as a youth player, physiciality, mentality, pressure etc

But if there was no la masia, fabregas wouldn't have even had the chance to come to arsenal. It's because of their extensive scouting network that he even got the chance to be a professional footballer in the first place.

I'd say that cases like him are attributed to both teams. Same with reus I feel.
Reply 3891
Original post by Tweek
Longer than last time. Said he wants to re-build the next generation at Chelsea. Roman has stated his intention to do it all again with a new, younger squad and to win with style.

Jose has nothing left to prove now, and Roman doesn't have many managers to chose from. He'll have learnt his lesson.

Love to see Zola come in and manager us when Jose leaves though.
Or maybe Lamps depending on how long Jose stays for.

Expect this to be one of Jose's last club positions before going to manage Portugal.

It's funny that mourinho has only managed for 13 years yet it's almost getting to the point that he may be winding down his career. Just goes to show his achievements and how quickly time flies.

I'd say between 4-7 years tbh.
Reply 3892
Original post by jam277
It's funny that mourinho has only managed for 13 years yet it's almost getting to the point that he may be winding down his career. Just goes to show his achievements and how quickly time flies.

I'd say between 4-7 years tbh.

That seems to be exactly what he's doing. There's literally nothing left for him to do. If he wins the CL with us he's the first manager to win it with 3 different teams. And I think that's his last target. After that he can just relax and try to bring through the new Chelsea generation.

Obviously he's certain to manage the national team. But he'll retire earlier than most managers.
Reply 3893
Original post by Tweek
That seems to be exactly what he's doing. There's literally nothing left for him to do. If he wins the CL with us he's the first manager to win it with 3 different teams. And I think that's his last target. After that he can just relax and try to bring through the new Chelsea generation.

Obviously he's certain to manage the national team. But he'll retire earlier than most managers.

Personally I think he might as well. I really don't know how fergie went an extra 11 years after almost retiring in 2002. I'd have packed my bags in 1999 if I was fergie. I guess knocking liverpool off their perch was good motivation though.

I wonder how AVB's career will pan out. That would be something interesting. Him and klopp are the two managers I'm the most interested in at the moment. He's made up for his failure at chelsea, so I could see him going to a club like madrid in the future if he can get a top 4 spot or even a title at tottenham.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3894
Original post by jam277
Personally I think he might as well. I really don't know how fergie went an extra 11 years after almost retiring in 2002. I'd have packed my bags in 1999 if I was fergie. I guess knocking liverpool off their perch was good motivation though.

I wonder how AVB's career will pan out. That would be something interesting. Him and klopp are the two managers I'm the most interested in at the moment. He's made up for his failure at chelsea, so I could see him going to a club like madrid in the future if he can get a top 4 spot or even a title at tottenham.

I liked AVB, just think it was too much pressure for what was required and the wrong squad. Wonder how he would have coped with our current squad.

I'm just waiting to see how John Terry does as a manager, as it's clearly something he wants to do. Wonder if Jose will hire him as the youth team manager or in a similar capacity once he retires, or whether Terry will go to a different club. Who knows.

Think Lamps would make a great manager.

Klopp is just a charismatic SOB. I do wonder where he'd go after Dortmund though, assuming he eventually leaves.
Reply 3895
Original post by Tweek
I liked AVB, just think it was too much pressure for what was required and the wrong squad. Wonder how he would have coped with our current squad.

I'm just waiting to see how John Terry does as a manager, as it's clearly something he wants to do. Wonder if Jose will hire him as the youth team manager or in a similar capacity once he retires, or whether Terry will go to a different club. Who knows.

Think Lamps would make a great manager.

Klopp is just a charismatic SOB. I do wonder where he'd go after Dortmund though, assuming he eventually leaves.

I think he'd have loved our new squad. He came at the wrong time. Ancelotti should have fulfilled his contract and AVB should have come in the next year imo.

Terry would be a weird one. Could see him as chelsea interim manager at some point I think.

Lampard I wouldn't be surprised if he's landed himself a top job like tottenham or arsenal early on in his career. The guy's likeable, great motivator on the pitch and is a smart man who knows his tactics. Yeah, that's the main thing about klopp. He's done well for himself so far though but I'm hoping he doesn't stagnate like deschamps did. Would like to see klopp stay at dortmund and build a legacy there to match bayern.
Original post by jam277
Chelsea are in a better position than man city manager wise despite city having a slightly better team so it'd be 50-50.

United don't have the strongest squad it all depends on their character and if moyes can instill that same confidence and attitude that fergie did(he should be able to imo) then I think that they'd be in the mix. United haven't finished under 3rd place since the premier league begun.

Tad confused -- their squad isn't that brilliant (and Fergie helped the most), or they don't have the strongest in the league?
Original post by jam277

Shows how much of a competitor Fergie is though that he waited to get to 20 titles before he left. What a legend.

AVB hasnt really done anything in English football to suggest he'll be an exceptional manager. Long long way to go with him though. Klopp will surely be one of the all time greats if he continues like he is. Another great manager in the Bundesliga though is Christian Streich at Freiberg. Been reading into him and at the same age as Klopp, he's taken a tiny team like Freiberg within one win away from a Champions League spot. Seems even more of a character then Klopp as well from what Ive read. On the Bundesliga highlight show on ITV4, Ive seen Freiberg outplay Dortmund so he's got something about him.If he were to get a job at a sleeping giant like Hamburg/Schalke/Hertha then I could see him doing great things.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3898
Original post by The Assassin
Tad confused -- their squad isn't that brilliant (and Fergie helped the most), or they don't have the strongest in the league?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, united don't have the strongest squad in the league imo. They did well to win the title back but that doesn't mean they had the strongest squad in terms of player personel;
Reply 3899
This is crazy... The pessimism from Chelsea fans that is..

If Rafa was in charge I bet you'd all be wanting the title or him out... You'd not be happy with another season like last year...

This Chelsea side will be strengthened by the likes of Cavani- United have lost the worlds greatest manager... Manchester City are going through change... Yet you don't think you'll challenge?

Latest