The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston - Science Foundation Year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by elkaysi
hey, congrats for ur offer too :smile: .. and everybody else's .. and thanx for replying :smile: .. and like you said you just have to be ahead from the start .. yea i do as well ..
Was just wandering .. are you like revising or preparing in other words for the course .. cuz like my parents are nagging me about how I will be behind when the course starts :confused: soo .. like do we have to prepare for it now? .. and one other thing .. have you been told anything about the times, dates, the exact area and all that stuff? because I haven't been told anything :s-smilie: .. Thank uu :biggrin:

Sara :rolleyes:

Sorry for the late reply! I'm planning to buy some as/a2 text books to help me get an idea of things, i really don't want to be that behind either lol. I think it would be good to have a little bit of preparation so I'm going to email them and ask if it would be good to go over some topics or if there is any material they'd recommend, and i'll definitely get back to you when they reply!

Um, with dates, my UCAS says that the course starts Monday Sept 16th, not sure about times and stuffs but i think they finalise that once A2 results are out. The course is taught at Kingston College which is 10 mins away from the actual university, that's all i know about area lol.
Hope that helps a bit!
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 41
Original post by iammi
Sorry for the late reply! I'm planning to buy some as/a2 text books to help me get an idea of things, i really don't want to be that behind either lol. I think it would be good to have a little bit of preparation so I'm going to email them and ask if it would be good to go over some topics or if there is any material they'd recommend, and i'll definitely get back to you when they reply!

Um, with dates, my UCAS says that the course starts Monday Sept 16th, not sure about times and stuffs but i think they finalise that once A2 results are out. The course is taught at Kingston College which is 10 mins away from the actual university, that's all i know about area lol.
Hope that helps a bit!

Hey
Mine also says the 1st September but thats a Sunday and when I emailed the Uni about it they said they haven't set the date yet and when they do they will let us know, but I'm guessing its the 16th as you said.
Reply 42
Original post by Alba.D
Hey
Mine also says the 1st September but thats a Sunday and when I emailed the Uni about it they said they haven't set the date yet and when they do they will let us know, but I'm guessing its the 16th as you said.

Oh i really hope it's not the 1st :frown: lol
i think it will be definitely be towards the end of the month as that's when most uni courses begin i believe.
Reply 43
Original post by shannonelias
Nope i never got any emails about enrolment :l but on ucas it did say 1 september. so im guessing that week.

oh ok .. yeah i believe so too then .. Lets hope they havent forgotten us lol

Reply 44
Original post by iammi

Hope that helps a bit!

oh dont worry .. and yeah i was thinkin that too actually .. thats would be great .. and thanz i would like to know what would they say :biggrin:

yeah about dates i think its on results day too .. well hopfully lol :s-smilie:
thats sounds allright .,, and like we can use the university's facilities . which is good . cuz i kno people who go there :biggrin:

thanx for replying :smile:

Original post by elkaysi
oh ok .. yeah i believe so too then .. Lets hope they havent forgotten us lol

Yeh hope so lol :tongue: anyways have you all sorted your student finance out?
btw guys, i got an email from kingston on 'what next'. its got all the stuff in it, bwt enrolement nd all. oh and also have u all logged in osis ?
Reply 47
Yeah I have applied for student finance and like im just sending them my evidence now

And Shannon I got the same email :smile: .. Thanks Lord they have remembered us :tongue:

Reply 48
Hey guys,
I emailed Kingston and this is what they said ..

"Thank you for your email regarding the Pharmacy Extended Degree. Now that you are firm with Kingston you will receive information regarding start dates, enrolment, possible reading material, timetable etc.

As far as I am aware the course starts around the 16th September for induction week. Enrolment may take place that week or the week before. However, as stated above this information will be sent to you nearer the time."

Don't think I'll be getting into my firm/insurance university, and Kingston will probably be the first place I try to go to through clearing, does anyone here know if there are usually places in the foundation course in clearing?
Reply 50
Original post by elkaysi
Hey guys,
I emailed Kingston and this is what they said ..

"Thank you for your email regarding the Pharmacy Extended Degree. Now that you are firm with Kingston you will receive information regarding start dates, enrolment, possible reading material, timetable etc.

As far as I am aware the course starts around the 16th September for induction week. Enrolment may take place that week or the week before. However, as stated above this information will be sent to you nearer the time."

Hey, that's the same thing they said to me about study material lol. But i'm going to get some bio and chem AS/A2 revision books anyway and probably start looking over them in July/Aug :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by iammi
Hey, that's the same thing they said to me about study material lol. But i'm going to get some bio and chem AS/A2 revision books anyway and probably start looking over them in July/Aug :smile:

Hey,

I think we are thinking ahead of them aha .. I think they're waiting for exams times to finish and then start emailing us about u know possible materials to go over and that. And I think that's a good idea and I will be doin the same, because it's better to get ready before the start so you know what is happening lol

Hey all !! Did anyone get any email from kingston something about head start ?
Hi everyone!

I took the Foundation Year last year and I noticed you had a few questions about it so I thought I'd answer as we are here this week!
You will probably be required to be here in Freshers Week (16th Sept) for course information and safety briefings. Enrolment might be on a day before that week though-the information normally comes through mid August after clearing.
The year is a great start to any Science degree at Kingston and helped me so much-you will be based at Kingston College which is practically opposite the Penrhyn Road campus, at most a five minute walk away. You will have access to both the College and the University facilities and have an ID card for both. The college is a great place and has computers and a study room just for the Higher Education students-I could always find a computer or a place to sit and study.
With regards to textbooks any AS/A2 textbook will benefit your revision for the summer, however textbooks will be recommended when you start the course. There are different modules for the different degree routes but for Pharmacy or the Life Science courses you will be studying Maths, Chemistry, Biology and a small amount of Physics.
I hope this answers some of your questions!

Jane
Reply 54
Original post by Kingston University
Hi everyone!

I took the Foundation Year last year and I noticed you had a few questions about it so I thought I'd answer as we are here this week!
You will probably be required to be here in Freshers Week (16th Sept) for course information and safety briefings. Enrolment might be on a day before that week though-the information normally comes through mid August after clearing.
The year is a great start to any Science degree at Kingston and helped me so much-you will be based at Kingston College which is practically opposite the Penrhyn Road campus, at most a five minute walk away. You will have access to both the College and the University facilities and have an ID card for both. The college is a great place and has computers and a study room just for the Higher Education students-I could always find a computer or a place to sit and study.
With regards to textbooks any AS/A2 textbook will benefit your revision for the summer, however textbooks will be recommended when you start the course. There are different modules for the different degree routes but for Pharmacy or the Life Science courses you will be studying Maths, Chemistry, Biology and a small amount of Physics.

Jane

That was very helpful, thank you!
I was wondering, in terms of your timetable, was it packed/did you have to be in everyday?
Reply 55
Original post by iammi
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else applied for the Science Foundation Year at Kingston university (taught at Kingston College)? I received an offer today and I'm hoping to study Pharmacy after.

Anyone else? :smile:

Hey,

I'm also starting the same course this September. I really wanna know what the course entails (that first year of science foundation). I've been out of education for years, and I did my GCSEs abroad in a different language, except for English, but I'm dreading it so much. I contacted the university admissions and they gave me a contact number for a Dr I Pieper? Well that was no use since it kept ringing with no answer for days! Then I called back asking for an email. I sent the email to said person a month ago and he did not respond. Fair enough, considering he's the head of the science foundation department and he must be ears deep with emails and calls to reply to my wee email of enquiry. My fault since I made an effort to sound nonchalant and gave him a way out, by saying I understand if a response can't be made at the time being. I appreciate that you must be busy. (darn it!) The website is vague, too. I wish someone who is doing the course decides to answer this thread, please? I'd be eternally and forever grateful.

I'm worried about the math and physics content. I would definitely fail miserably if those two subjects were involved. I've not done both in near 8 years. It's putting me on edge, I bet I sound wacko to you all. :-$

thanks anyway :-)

edit: someone had already answered that. :-D sorry, must have read past it in haste.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Kingston University
Hi everyone!

Jane

hey,

thank you so much for your answer it really answered most of my questions, I was just wandering about the moving on to the proper degree in Pharmacy and if you're doing that now? I mean what did you have to get to get into the degree course and were you able to change the course you decide to do after the foundation year as in lets say Im doing the Extended Degree Pharmacy including foundation and after the first passing the first year I decide to do biomed, is it possible to change easily?

thanks and sorry for the long question

Hello again!

The timetable at the College will not be given to you until you get there unfortunately-some of the modules are optional and therefore they can't be timetabled until people have chosen their modules.
For the first semester I was in every day and then in the second I had one day off but it wasn't all 9am starts! They do take special consideration for people with children though and you will be able to state that during freshers week.

With regards to Dr Piper and the calls and emails-the University system doesn't accept emails from places like hotmail or gmail so it might be as simple as that it hasn't gotten through. He is a very busy man though but I'm sure I can answer some questions if you have any more to ask!

The modules are changing this year so I can't really comment on how the maths and physics content will affect you, however there is a lot of in-class assessment so it isn't all exam based and you will have time to work on assignments so that you can get a good grade. I was worried about the maths (I was 24 when I started and had a C in GCSE Maths) but I found that as long as you studied it was fine. They relate the maths to the science you are doing so expect a lot of rearranging equations for physics :smile:

Pharmacy is a tough one-you have to get 70% to get in and around 20 people got in from my year. It is a tough course and you have to be prepared to work hard for the entire 5 years. If you don't get 70% you can switch to another course-most people do Pharmaceutical Science but some have done Biomedical Science or Pharmacology. You'll get the option to swap as soon as you get your results.

Hope this helps guys! The KU team are finishing this week but I'll make a profile so I can answer anymore questions you might have in the future!

Jane
Reply 58
Hey everyone, hope you're all well!
Just went to Kingston Uni for the first time, i know it's a bit late for someone who starts in like 2 weeks lol.
But i went, looked around and asked to confirm where the course would be taught and they told me the majority of it will be at the penrhyn road campus (where i went today) and sometimes at St.Georges, but i always thought it was at Kingston College?
Anyone else get told the same thing or is it still at the college?
And do you guys also have enrollment on the 12th?
:smile:
Original post by iammi
Hey everyone, hope you're all well!
Just went to Kingston Uni for the first time, i know it's a bit late for someone who starts in like 2 weeks lol.
But i went, looked around and asked to confirm where the course would be taught and they told me the majority of it will be at the penrhyn road campus (where i went today) and sometimes at St.Georges, but i always thought it was at Kingston College?
Anyone else get told the same thing or is it still at the college?
And do you guys also have enrollment on the 12th?
:smile:

Hi there,
It sounds like you may be on a foundation degree programme rather than the science foundation course. Do you have the course code / name and I can confirm for you.
Kind regards
Kerrie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending