The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Foundation Programmes at Kingston University

Sometimes, students don't get the qualifications they need to instantly pursue an undergraduate degree at university; other times, students apply to a certain course and later realise they want to study completely different at university. Whilst both these situations can be somewhat confusing, it's important to note that universities are here to support your career goals no matter what and have alternatives available to help you.

This is where Foundation programmes come in. Foundation programmes function as year-long preparatory courses, allowing you to gain an academic qualification in a certain field which will prepare you to study at undergraduate level. Their entry requirements are lower than that of a standard undergraduate degree and at Kingston can start anywhere from 32-64 UCAS points.

Kingston University offer a number of different foundation courses, with some including:
- Computing and Mathematics Foundation Year
- Engineering Foundation Year
- Science Foundation Year
- Foundation Year In Business
- Foundation Year Humanities and Arts
- Foundation Degree Nursing Associate
- Special Educational Needs & Inclusive Practice Foundation Degree.

Kingston University also offers a Foundation Diploma in Art & Design. A requirement for several art courses throughout the UK, the Foundation Diploma in Art & Design offers students a one-year course studying topics such as graphic design, bookbinding, architecture, interior and set design, womenswear, fashion photography and painting. This Foundation Diploma is often helpful for students who aren't sure what field of art is right for them, or those who simply want to know what a career in the arts could look like.

Alternatively, if you're an international student who hasn't met the entry requirements for their chosen undergraduate course at Kingston University, you may consider the International Foundation Year. In this course, you'll get a closer look at the fields of business, law and social sciences and science, technology, engineering and mathematics, whilst also receiving any English Language support you may need to continue your studies on to undergraduate level.

The International Year One Foundation degree is another option available for international students who know they want to pursue a business degree at undergraduate level. This programme builds your confidence with using the English language and the British education system as a whole, before allowing you to progress onto your second year of a standard undergraduate degree. :smile:

Apart from just educational access, Foundation Programmes are a great opportunity for students to spend a year experiencing university life by joining societies and mixing with others before deciding if an undergraduate degree is right for them.

If you've any questions, pop them down below and I'll get back to them as soon as possible!

Eve (BA Fine Art and Art History).
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey Eve,

Does the university offer any fashion design and business courses ?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Original post by Anonymous
Hey Eve,

Does the university offer any fashion design and business courses ?

Hi there!

Do you mean as a Foundation Course? :smile: Kingston offer a Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media Practice - more details here

You can search through our undergrad courses here: Undergraduate degree courses

I don't think Kingston have a specific/pre-made Fashion Design AND Business degree, however we do have both an excellent Business School and School of Art :wink: so it may be possible to study for a joint honours degree - here is more information about that if you are interested. If that's something you are interested in then it would be worth reaching out directly for advice; here are the contact details for Course Queries :biggrin:

Thanks
Kingston rep Daisy
Reply 3
Hi Eve,
I've applied to the foundation in art and design, I'm aware applications only started being reviewed in February but could you give me an estimate of when we should expect offers to come back?
Hi @Muncle!

First off, it's great to hear you've applied! The Foundation Diploma in Art and Design is a really great programme and every year receives a lot of applicants (as you've probably guessed).

From my own experience and what I've heard from KSA lecturers on my own course, portfolios tend to be looked at individually, one-by-one, and not really as a massive group of all applicants at once. This means that offers can often go out at very different times; some students receive offers a week or two after the deadline, and some students a month or so after. For example, after submitting my portfolio for my course, I didn't receive an offer for six-seven weeks, whilst I know others got theirs after a couple of days. It's not a testament to your work or whether or not you're getting a place, it simply depends on when the team get a chance to go through your particular portfolio.

If the deadline was early February, I'd hope you'd hear back over the next few weeks or so. March tends to be the standard for most art school interviews/offers in general. :smile:

If you've any more questions, just pop them down below and I'll get back to you.

All the best,
Eve.
Original post by Tissuegorl
Do you need to do an art a level/ BTEC to get onto the art foundation

Hello!

For Kingston University's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media Practice, the typical entry requirements stated on the course page for 2024 are 'A-level or AS Level or BTEC Diploma in an art and design subject. International Baccalaureate Diploma/Certificate at a minimum grade of 24. Five GCSEs at a minimum of grade C or 4, including English Language and Mathematics.' However, if you have any equivalent qualifications, consider reaching out to the admissions team for more guidance. :smile:

- Eve (Kingston Rep).
Original post by Muncle
Hi Eve,
I've applied to the foundation in art and design, I'm aware applications only started being reviewed in February but could you give me an estimate of when we should expect offers to come back?

Hi!
I am applying to Kingston this year and I wanted to know if applying entails submitting details, personal statement and the digital portfolio all at once, or if you send an application through first and then a digital portfolio a couple of weeks later! Thank you
Original post by Jellysoobie
Hi!
I am applying to Kingston this year and I wanted to know if applying entails submitting details, personal statement and the digital portfolio all at once, or if you send an application through first and then a digital portfolio a couple of weeks later! Thank you

Hi @Jellysoobie I believe if you are applying through UCAS you will first have to submit your details (eg. grades, education), personal statement and references. Once the university has accepted your application, you will then be prompted to send a digital portfolio. After doing so, You will have to wait for the university to go through your application and wait for an offer.

Here are some useful links you may find helpful!
After Applying - https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/how-to-apply/after-you-have-applied/
Personal Statement - https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/how-to-apply/personal-statement/
Confirmation and Enrolment - https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/how-to-apply/confirmation-and-enrolment/

I hope this helps! 🙂

Zhi En (Kingston Rep.)
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi @Jellysoobie I believe if you are applying through UCAS you will first have to submit your details (eg. grades, education), personal statement and references. Once the university has accepted your application, you will then be prompted to send a digital portfolio. After doing so, You will have to wait for the university to go through your application and wait for an offer.

Here are some useful links you may find helpful!
After Applying - https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/how-to-apply/after-you-have-applied/
Personal Statement - https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/how-to-apply/personal-statement/
Confirmation and Enrolment - https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/how-to-apply/confirmation-and-enrolment/

I hope this helps! 🙂

Zhi En (Kingston Rep.)

Hi!

Thank you for responding! I’m applying through Kingston’s own foundation application link- is it the same process?
Original post by Jellysoobie
Hi!

Thank you for responding! I’m applying through Kingston’s own foundation application link- is it the same process?

Hi @Jellysoobie!

Yes, the process should be the same across the board. 🙂 Best of luck with your application!

Eve (Kingston Rep).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending