The Student Room Group

Foundation with 2 A levels???

Due to mitigating circumstances I've only been able to sit exams for two of my A levels. The school has offered me the option to retake one of them, however, I would rather take a foundation course at a university as I'm wishing to change my trajectory from humanities to sciences. Is this still possible?

The university requires A levels DDE to CDD (64 to 80 UCAS Tariff points), but if I only get two Bs and still have 80 UCAS Tariff points am I still able to apply for the course? My A level subjects are English, Classical Civilisations and Philosophy, and I've been unable to sit my philosophy exams.
Original post by donniesaur
Due to mitigating circumstances I've only been able to sit exams for two of my A levels. The school has offered me the option to retake one of them, however, I would rather take a foundation course at a university as I'm wishing to change my trajectory from humanities to sciences. Is this still possible?

The university requires A levels DDE to CDD (64 to 80 UCAS Tariff points), but if I only get two Bs and still have 80 UCAS Tariff points am I still able to apply for the course? My A level subjects are English, Classical Civilisations and Philosophy, and I've been unable to sit my philosophy exams.

That would depend on the specific university. Some will require a minimum of three A levels (or equivalent), whilst others will be happy with two.

For example, University of Sussex make it clear here that two A levels is fine: "If you are a recent school or college leaver, you will need to have at least the University’s general entry requirement of two A-levels (or equivalent)."

By contrast, University of Warwick make it clear here that they require three: "Applicants are required to offer a minimum of three A-levels."

It would be best to check with the admissions team of your target university to ask whether they would be happy to make an offer to an applicant offering two A levels for that particular foundation course.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
That would depend on the specific university. Some will require a minimum of three A levels (or equivalent), whilst others will be happy with two.

For example, University of Sussex make it clear here that two A levels is fine: "If you are a recent school or college leaver, you will need to have at least the University’s general entry requirement of two A-levels (or equivalent)."

By contrast, University of Warwick make it clear here that they require three: "Applicants are required to offer a minimum of three A-levels."

It would be best to check with the admissions team of your target university to ask whether they would be happy to make an offer to an applicant offering two A levels for that particular foundation course.

Thank you, this has been of much help ^^; I'm planning on phoning to ask the specific university tomorrow.
Reply 3
Original post by donniesaur
I would rather take a foundation course at a university as I'm wishing to change my trajectory from humanities to sciences.

My A level subjects are English, Classical Civilisations and Philosophy, and I've been unable to sit my philosophy exams.

Kingston Science Foundation course - https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/science-foundation/ - they will accept 2 A levels in non-science subjects. But remember that you are then tied to Kingston for the main degree, and that the course may already be closed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending