The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tweek
We're playing Roma in a couple of weeks. Could be interesting with regards to De Rossi.
But I guess this all depends on whether Mikel is actually sold then or not.

If the earlier rumours were true and Mikel is sold for sixteen million to Galatasaray, than ~eighteen million for de Rossi would be incredible business.
Reply 4301
Original post by sevchenko
£30m for Shevchenko
£50m For Torres
End of Argument

Its unbelievable a chelsea fan can criticize Monaco for spending too much on a player. Chelsea, Monaco, PSG and City are the same. I get what youre saying Jam but 50m for such a massive fail, come on guys there's no argument here.
Both flops. Not trying to defend our spending, as yeah, we do splash the cash and we did overpay with regards to those signings, but as I previously said, not to the extent Monaco have. Liverpool obviously wouldn't sell us their star player cheaply, and at the time the club evidently thought paying that bit more would be worth it. Shevchenko was apparently RA's personally chosen signing (and only seriously considered because we missed out on Eto'o), and again, the club evidently thought it would be worth it. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, and obviously, they weren't worth it.

Hulk is a player who many have considered overrated for some time, coming off the back of a poor season at Zenit and several underwhelming performances for Brazil, and yet he's commanded a fee equivalent to that of Falcao or Cavani? You don't have to be a scout to realise a fee half that size would be pushing it. Hell, he signed for Zenit for £40m last season in the first place so it's a complete mystery how he's somehow gained £12m in value despite having a bad season.

Monaco have spent in the region of £160m on four players. We have spent a lot, yes, but not to that extent. We also weren't a newly promoted team, buying as many players as we could to try to win the league the very next season.

Oh, and Liverpool spent £35m on Andy Carroll...surely they should also be included in your little group of 'overspenders', no? That's arguably worse than both Torres and Shevchenko.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by KingMessi
If the earlier rumours were true and Mikel is sold for sixteen million to Galatasaray, than ~eighteen million for de Rossi would be incredible business.

Just shows how nuts the market really is atm, Mikel is never a 16m player.. PSG/Monaco throwing their ill gotten cash around has put an already out of control market into overdrive.

De Rossi was going for 30m last summer I thought? Would be strange for him now to go for 18m.

Original post by Nickini

Oh, and Liverpool spent £35m on Andy Carroll...surely they should also be included in your little group of 'overspenders', no? That's arguably worse than both Torres and Shevchenko.

Absolutely no doubt, hilariously bad transfer. West Ham's 15m for Carroll is 2nd.

Liverpool have always been a strange one though, they always spend huge amounts even going back to 2002. Largely wasted as well, right back to the days of 12m for Diouf. Think their net spend since 1992 is 100m above Utd and 9 times that of Arsenal, which is just scandalously poor business. And the 100m they blew in 2011 was sugar-daddy money pure and simple.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4303
I think that rumour was proven to be a load of *******s anyway, the Turkish newspaper which started the story had Mikel saying he wanted to join Galatasaray and felt it would be the right move etc. but he came forwards and denied any such quote. Apparently the Turkish media is notoriously bad for making up stories.

Original post by Zürich
De Rossi was going for 30m last summer I thought? Would be strange for him now to go for 18m.
£11-12m is the figure that's been floating around for De Rossi which would be a steal, but I really don't think it'll happen. Last summer he'd recently signed a new 5-year contract, and I think him turning 30 next week with Roma having just signed Strootman as a replacement might be the reason for this much lower figure? :dontknow: Or of course, the more likely option, that it's a load of BS, we're not even in for him and £11m is a figure some random twitter journalist has pulled out of his arse. :tongue:

Absolutely no doubt, hilariously bad transfer. West Ham's 15m for Carroll is 2nd.
Yup. At least with Torres and Shevchenko we looked to be signing top quality players, Andy Carroll on the other hand...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nickini
Monaco have spent in the region of £160m on four players. We have spent a lot, yes, but not to that extent. We also weren't a newly promoted team, buying as many players as we could to try to win the league the very next season.

So what were Chelsea were doing 10 years ago? Monaco are doing the same thing its just the transfer fees and wages have been hugely inflated.

"buying as many players as we could to try to win the league the very next season."
:facepalm2:

Season 03/04 Chelsea's total expenditure £121m. Crespo £16.8m, Veron for £15m, Damien Duff for £17m these fees are small by our modern standards but back then this was top dollar at inflated prices then you spent £102m in 04/05. Its completely unnatural to spend this kinds of money because without a sugar daddy you can't spend crazy money. Chelsea are no better than Monaco, just as bad as eachother imo

£35m for Carroll thing was overpriced but it was Liverpool's hard earned cash to waste, it was a bad transfer due to poor management tbf they would never have bought him if some clowns didn't pay £50m for Torres. How the fee got to £50m I will never know.
Reply 4305
So what were Chelsea were doing 10 years ago? Monaco are doing the same thing its just the transfer fees and wages have been hugely inflated.
As I said, I'm not trying to defend our spending. Our point was that Monaco have overpaid massively for Hulk, an average player. For some reason you've seen this as an excuse to try to condemn us, when it was never about Chelsea... Do you lurk on other team's threads waiting for an excuse to criticise as opposed to at least trying to post something worthwhile? Seems like it to me. Yes, our club has spent a fair sum of money in the past, but does that mean we, as fans, necessarily agree with it? No. Nor does it revoke our right to comment on other club's similar, in this case more extreme, practises.

"buying as many players as we could to try to win the league the very next season."
Taking something I said out of context and adding a facepalm emoticon doesn't make you clever, nor does it constitute a good argument. Try again.

Obviously we tried to buy the league, can't deny that, and we succeeded. My point was that we weren't recently promoted. We finished 4th in 02/03, then 2nd in 03/04. Monaco are aiming to go from being newly promoted to winning the league in a single season. We went from 4th - 1st in two seasons.

Season 03/04 Chelsea's total expenditure £121m. Crespo £16.8m, Veron for £15m, Damien Duff for £17m these fees are small by our modern standards but back then this was top dollar at inflated prices then you spent £102m in 04/05. Its completely unnatural to spend this kinds of money because without a sugar daddy you can't spend crazy money. Chelsea are no better than Monaco, just as bad as eachother imo
Our 03/04 expenditure, £121m, is the equivalent of £151m in today's market. For that, we signed 11 players (not including free transfers). As I pointed out, Monaco have spent £160m on just 4 players. That was the most we have spent in a single season.

Our most expensive signing that season, Damien Duff, we bought for £17m - which is £23m today. Not even half of what Monaco have just spent on Hulk.

£35m for Carroll thing was overpriced but it was Liverpool's hard earned cash to waste, it was a bad transfer due to poor management tbf they would never have bought him if some clowns didn't pay £50m for Torres. How the fee got to £50m I will never know.
You missed my incredibly simple point: Andy Carroll wasn't worth £35m, Liverpool overpaid massively for him. Just like Monaco have just done with Hulk.

Go back to embarrassing yourself in the United thread mate.
Reply 4306

The fee got to £50m because Liverpool wanted at least £15m more than what they paid for Carroll. A transfer which went through a couple hours before the Torres deal. They originally offered £25m for for Carroll. Which was still far too much. We offered £40m for Torres.

Carroll was a £8-£10m player at best.

Obviously you have no idea what happened. So perhaps you should stop commenting on things you know nothing about.
Reply 4307

Original post by Nickini
I think that rumour was proven to be a load of *******s anyway, the Turkish newspaper which started the story had Mikel saying he wanted to join Galatasaray and felt it would be the right move etc. but he came forwards and denied any such quote. Apparently the Turkish media is notoriously bad for making up stories.

£11-12m is the figure that's been floating around for De Rossi which would be a steal, but I really don't think it'll happen. Last summer he'd recently signed a new 5-year contract, and I think him turning 30 next week with Roma having just signed Strootman as a replacement might be the reason for this much lower figure? :dontknow: Or of course, the more likely option, that it's a load of BS, we're not even in for him and £11m is a figure some random twitter journalist has pulled out of his arse. :tongue:

Although, the funny thing is that Galatasary only a few weeks ago said they weren't willing to match Nani's 8.5 million valuation they wanted to pay 6. Assuming they couldn't afford Nani for 8.5, how on earth are they going to buy Mikel for 16, it makes no sense at all :curious:. I also read about the De Rossi deal being around 11-12. Looks less likely now but the media were raving on about him transferring through a few weeks ago. Could be another Cavani episode tbh.

Is it me or has the media been really off the ball this summer? Fabricating and twisting stories more than usual.
Original post by Zürich
Just shows how nuts the market really is atm, Mikel is never a 16m player.. PSG/Monaco throwing their ill gotten cash around has put an already out of control market into overdrive.

Liverpool have always been a strange one though, they always spend huge amounts even going back to 2002. Largely wasted as well, right back to the days of 12m for Diouf. Think their net spend since 1992 is 100m above Utd and 9 times that of Arsenal, which is just scandalously poor business. And the 100m they blew in 2011 was sugar-daddy money pure and simple.

I think what this again shows is that the BBC are no longer to be trusted with regards to football reporting.

And yes, I think that Liverpool have been worse than us in terms of poor spending. The Dalglish era was possibly the worst display of manoeuvering in the transfer market ever.

Original post by Nickini

Yup. At least with Torres and Shevchenko we looked to be signing top quality players, Andy Carroll on the other hand...

Sure. See above. If it is a load of rot, I'm not too upset. I'm happy with our squad and think that it can win a title, if not the CL.

Original post by iRush
Although, the funny thing is that Galatasary only a few weeks ago said they weren't willing to match Nani's 8.5 million valuation they wanted to pay 6. Assuming they couldn't afford Nani for 8.5, how on earth are they going to buy Mikel for 16, it makes no sense at all :curious:. I also read about the De Rossi deal being around 11-12. Looks less likely now but the media were raving on about him transferring through a few weeks ago. Could be another Cavani episode tbh.

Is it me or has the media been really off the ball this summer? Fabricating and twisting stories more than usual.

Sure, sure. Again, see my first reply. I think the media are growing increasingly desperate and classless; they know the average fan on the street just wants something to talk about with his friends, and even if a rumour is complete rot it will get them talking - like Rooney obviously has. Although, this isn't a new thing - when Abramovich first joined us I heard us linked with every player under the sun - Henry for £80M, Van Nistelrooy for £45 million, Edgar Davids, Patrick Kluivert, Madrid's Ronaldo...all absolute sensationalist unfounded nonsense.

For him we do not shed a tear.

It's a shame, the year we won the league under Ancelotti he was really good. I'm not sure what happened to him.
Reply 4311
Original post by Zürich

Thank you nobody realises this but the money was from FSG not Liverpool

Ok were we a newly promoted team? No we were 4th at the time. Was it Liverpool's money seeing as they could only afford poulson and jovanovic before FSG took them over? No :rofl:

Please GTFO, you came in here looking for an argument,. Theres no doubt that Hulks price is inflated and that we are one of the top spenders in Europe but Monaco has outdone everyone.
Now piss off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4313
I think what this again shows is that the BBC are no longer to be trusted with regards to football reporting.

And yes, I think that Liverpool have been worse than us in terms of poor spending. The Dalglish era was possibly the worst display of manoeuvering in the transfer market ever.

Sure. See above. If it is a load of rot, I'm not too upset. I'm happy with our squad and think that it can win a title, if not the CL.

Sure, sure. Again, see my first reply. I think the media are growing increasingly desperate and classless; they know the average fan on the street just wants something to talk about with his friends, and even if a rumour is complete rot it will get them talking - like Rooney obviously has. Although, this isn't a new thing - when Abramovich first joined us I heard us linked with every player under the sun - Henry for £80M, Van Nistelrooy for £45 million, Edgar Davids, Patrick Kluivert, Madrid's Ronaldo...all absolute sensationalist unfounded nonsense.

Yes, its almost like a new cycle begins with them. It's got to a point where I don't think you can take a potentially real transfer serious till the clubs come out and make official statements. Lol Ronaldo, that's just ridiculous. I'm really happy with the squad, we have a lot of depth this season, compared to last year and the thing is we talked about De Rossi being a transfer because Romeu is gone and/or Mikel was leaving but if Mikel stays (which is looking likely), we have Essien, Luiz and Ramires if you really want to. KdB, Lampard, Oscar and MvG can play in the other half of the double pivot, so we're set.

I finally feel like we're covered in most if not all areas without making an enourmous amount of signings.

For him we do not shed a tear.

It's a shame, the year we won the league under Ancelotti he was really good. I'm not sure what happened to him.

We do not.

Yeah, he was pretty good, scored 15 goals that year. No idea what happened next season. I think people realised, just play him on to his left foot and he not know what to do lol.
Essien, Luiz, Ramires, Mikel.... :redface:

Really, the only person I'd like to see regularly playing there is Luiz, but perhaps he's more suited to a CB if José can discipline him properly. Essien... meh. Can't really expect him to start regularly either. Mikel is just bad and Ramires is good but just doesn't quite do it for me as a top guy. Wrt to ramires, I think a lot of people (not here actually) overrate him. Just looking at other sites and people say how he is such an amazingly dynamic midfielder and should start every single game with him being part of all the parternships etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4315
http://hamrofootball.com/2013/07/16/chelsea-target-daniele-de-rossi-spotted-at-london/

De Rossi spotted in London apparently.

EDIT: Looks like I'm 2 days late to this party.

http://as.com/diarioas/2013/07/18/english/1374158304_713460.html

And AS have us launching a bid for Higuain, with Higuain apparently quoted as saying "Mourinho wants me there". Thoughts on him?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4316
Original post by Nickini

And AS have us launching a bid for Higuain, with Higuain apparently quoted as saying "Mourinho wants me there". Thoughts on him?

No, no, no and no. Do not want Higuain.
Reply 4317
Original post by Nickini
http://hamrofootball.com/2013/07/16/chelsea-target-daniele-de-rossi-spotted-at-london/

De Rossi spotted in London apparently.

EDIT: Looks like I'm 2 days late to this party.

Original post by Tweek
No, no, no and no. Do not want Higuain.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8830204/Transfer-news-Gonzalo-Higuain-reveals-Jose-Mourinho-wants-him-at-Chelsea

Here you go, its on Sky now =o
Original post by Nickini
x

Original post by jam277
Thank you nobody realises this but the money was from FSG not Liverpool

Ok were we a newly promoted team? No we were 4th at the time. Was it Liverpool's money seeing as they could only afford poulson and jovanovic before FSG took them over? No :rofl:

I deliberately left out the newly promoted thing because it's irrelevant. So what if Monaco are newly promoted it's got nothing to do with the argument. PSG spent €212.6m before they won Ligue 1, City spent £314m before they won the PL they weren't newly promoted. My original point is that all of you are the same and just as bad as eachother.

I AGREE £35M FOR CARROL WAS WAY OVERPRICED but will liverpool be doing it again? Chelsea didn't learn their lessons from Shevchenko before they went for Torres. Why? because money is immaterial to chelsea

I should go back to the Man U thread embarrassing myself ? Get a grip mate this is a internet forum

Original post by Kelani
Please GTFO, you came in here looking for an argument,. Theres no doubt that Hulks price is inflated and that we are one of the top spenders in Europe but Monaco has outdone everyone.
Now piss off.

I never denied Hulk was overpriced go back and get your facts straight. It just seems like Monaco has outdone everyone because transfer fees and wages have been inflated for everyone, The average wage of the PL footballer has grown. Thanks to Global scouting and oil rich teams the going rate of any player of proper quality is £20+.

I wasn't looking for an argument, there's no need to be rude just because I have a opposing view. Telling a person to "piss off" over the internet is just sad. Grow up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4319
This is why we don't get nice things on this thread :cry:

Latest