The Student Room Group

Standing wave formation in a rod

A standing wave is set up in the rod.
Explain how a standing wave is formed.
My answer:
Superposition of a continuous wave reflected from a boundary with its incident wave will produce an interference pattern called a standing wave. Maxima are called antinodes and minima are called nodes. 2013-08-14 19_14_25-6PH02_01_rms_20110817.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
Would I get full marks?
continuous wave
suggests the waves have the same frequency/wavelength, right?
Maxima are called nodes and minima are called antinodes

Is that enough to support the last marking point where it says nodes and antinodes produced? Would I get BoD for that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by halpme
A standing wave is set up in the rod.
Explain how a standing wave is formed.
My answer:
Superposition of a continuous wave reflected from a boundary with its incident wave will produce an interference pattern called a standing wave. Maxima are called nodes and minima are called antinodes. 2013-08-14 19_14_25-6PH02_01_rms_20110817.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
Would I get full marks?
suggests the waves have the same frequency/wavelength, right?

Is that enough to support the last marking point where it says nodes and antinodes produced? Would I get BoD for that?

you've got nodes and antinodes reversed.
Nodes are minima, they are the positions of zero amplitude.

Tip. Take the number of points available for the question as a guide to how much info you need to write in your answer.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
you've got nodes and antinodes reversed.
Nodes are minima, they are the positions of zero amplitude.

Tip. Take the number of points available for the question as a guide to how much info you need to write in your answer.

Ahh... Yes... So I do! Corrected, thank you for spotting! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest