The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love French but the AQA Listening was absolutely horrific

Posted from TSR Mobile
How hard is further maths A-level?
IM SCARING MYSELF WITH CIE GRADE DISTRIBUTION CHARTS SOMEONE TAKE MY INTERNET FROM ME

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Molly_xox
IM SCARING MYSELF WITH CIE GRADE DISTRIBUTION CHARTS SOMEONE TAKE MY INTERNET FROM ME

Posted from TSR Mobile
YOU MUST STOP. NOW. give me your internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looking through the replies to this thread, I read that a lot of year 10's have only done 2-3 exams this year, whereas I have done 13! :s-smilie: Way too much for a year 10 to handle!:s-smilie:
I actually feel more nervous for the people doing A Levels than for myself with GCSEs :tongue: I don't caaaaaareeeeeee anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalek1099
The listening exam for French was so hard-I'm pretty sure I got 0/8 for the questions that required written answers and I'll just have to hope that my multiple choice answers were great and I keep thinking "they'll never give you an A/A* for multiple choice answers".

Although, the written questions were so tough the grade boundaries will have to go down and not only were they tough questions but the invigilators had major trouble with the tape that was so hard to here with a crackly noise on it but the problem was miraculously fixed by lowering the volume of the tape.

I keep thinking that I think I've got an A* in French overall because the reading was very easy, which means i should be able to afford a less than perfect score on the Listening but I know I made some silly mistakes like on the first question where I didn't realise that it was written from a French perspective so English is a foreign language:angry:

Oh gosh, I nearly did that English foreign language thing but I caught it as I went back over.

I know that I haven't performed to my best with the controlled assessments due to a problem with a teacher :/

I know in a few mocks where I just completely left out the back page I managed to get high A's so you'll probably be alright!

My invigilator couldn't work the computer and the tape froze halfway through... we didn't notice for ages though, we thought it was just the kids being so loud we couldn't hear. The worst part was that the invigilator couldn't leave to tell them to quieten down because there was only one of them so we would have all been disqualified!

Do you know if the boundaries are still determined by what everybody else in the country achieved? x

(By the way, this is the same poster as before, I just logged into my old account before)
Original post by mollyh77
YOU MUST STOP. NOW. give me your internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*hands over internet*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thinkofthefuture
Looking through the replies to this thread, I read that a lot of year 10's have only done 2-3 exams this year, whereas I have done 13! :s-smilie: Way too much for a year 10 to handle!:s-smilie:

13? How? The maximum I've known anyone to do is 8 - all modules though, not full GCSEs.
Original post by Jatz07
Hey,

Relax... take a deep breath and listen to some music...
We still have a week left. I know I am as scared as you but worrying won't help unfortunately. Take it easy. Just take a deep breath and relax.

Jatz

I've got Green Day playing, I don't know whether that's helpful or not though :lol: thanks, I'll try :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
*hands over internet*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good. Now go to sleep and stop worryingggg :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tsjmcgrath
13? How? The maximum I've known anyone to do is 8 - all modules though, not full GCSEs.

Seven English:
2 IGCSE's, 1 speaking, 2 written papers, 1 drama and pros, and 1 poetry anthology
Three Science:
Biology, Chemistry and Physics
Two maths:
Calculator and non calculator

I also had to do A-Level Dutch, making that 13 exams
Original post by thinkofthefuture
Seven English:
2 IGCSE's, 1 speaking, 2 written papers, 1 drama and pros, and 1 poetry anthology
Three Science:
Biology, Chemistry and Physics
Two maths:
Calculator and non calculator

I also had to do A-Level Dutch, making that 13 exams

Blimey... I only had to do four, two of which were English Literature (I got an A*). Best of luck to you! :smile:
Original post by tsjmcgrath
Blimey... I only had to do four, two of which were English Literature (I got an A*). Best of luck to you! :smile:

Lucky! Thank you, best of luck to you too!
Not looking forward to this date, don't know what to say to my parents because they expect me to get all A* and I know I can't have possibly got that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tatwriter
Oh gosh, I nearly did that English foreign language thing but I caught it as I went back over.

I know that I haven't performed to my best with the controlled assessments due to a problem with a teacher :/

I know in a few mocks where I just completely left out the back page I managed to get high A's so you'll probably be alright!

My invigilator couldn't work the computer and the tape froze halfway through... we didn't notice for ages though, we thought it was just the kids being so loud we couldn't hear. The worst part was that the invigilator couldn't leave to tell them to quieten down because there was only one of them so we would have all been disqualified!

Do you know if the boundaries are still determined by what everybody else in the country achieved? x

(By the way, this is the same poster as before, I just logged into my old account before)

Grade Boundaries will be decided by the exam boards by looking at what mark shows the same performance as previous years for a particular grade, the exam board will also look for large groups of people on one particular mark or a couple of marks, which are key signs of where a grade boundary should go.However, the media would have us believe that in recent years Ofqual have been forcing AQA and all the other exam boards to fix results to certain percentages or in some cases deliberately upping grade boundaries and we can't be sure whether these accusations are true or false.
Original post by Dalek1099
When I was doing my year 6 sats, my sister was doing year 9 sats and my brother was doing his A2's.Now that I'm doing my GCSE's my brother has finished his degree bar QTS and has been in the students union for a year and is one his second year, at the end of this year he will complete his last QTS placement and my sister has finished the first year of her degree course.

My parents still care about my results even though I'm the youngest though so I think I'm luckier than you and do your parents have them silly periods when they say you are going to get U's in everything even though thats not even mathematically possible.They are only joking but it shows they care.

My parents still care lol, it's just not considered as important as the A levels so they usually ask afterwards and they don't worry as much about my results...do your siblings live at home? Plus, i'm actually in year 10 but I've finished 4 gcses, but when I'm in year 11, my other brother will be doing A2..um, they don't say the U stuff, do yours? and they do care but they tend to put my brothers first- which is reasonable seeing as GCSE's are jack in comparison to a levels.. And I found the writing part of the French speaking really hard too, I can't remember what it was on now... But I remember the reading being a lot easier. And what you said much earlier about the a* baccalaureate... The baccalaureate was scraped,wasn't it? It doesn't exist anymore..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did you find them???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3318
I did CIE and got
English Language B (77%)
English Literature B (76%)
80% is an A

Is there point of remarking?
Also when can I resit these exams can I resit in November?
Thanks
Original post by alexSH
I did CIE and got
English Language B (77%)
English Literature B (76%)
80% is an A

Is there point of remarking?
Also when can I resit these exams can I resit in November?
Thanks

I wouldn't bother remarking. The papers go through so many levels of moderation before the final grade, so yours will be fairly accurate. If it was 78/79, I would say go for it, but you'd be better investing the same money in a resit of the exam :smile:

What pieces of literature did you study? I got an A* in both CIE English Exams (was predicted two A's)! Very happy :smile:

Latest