The Student Room Group

Glasgow offer help

hey guys
I JUST GOT AN OFFER FROM GLASGOW COMMON LAW.
the thing is my offer tells me that "LNAT score that meets acceptable minimum score threshold. The deadline to take the LNAT is 30 June 2024. " I got a 22, but im confused as in what the minimum score threshold is. do I have an offer or not ??
Original post by spam44
hey guys
I JUST GOT AN OFFER FROM GLASGOW COMMON LAW.
the thing is my offer tells me that "LNAT score that meets acceptable minimum score threshold. The deadline to take the LNAT is 30 June 2024. " I got a 22, but im confused as in what the minimum score threshold is. do I have an offer or not ??

I don't know how Glasgow calculate or apply the threshold, so the following is an educated guess rather than necessarily being correct. So keep that in mind.

Let's suppose your other offer conditions are based on A level grades, and they're asking you to obtain AAA. What percentage do you need to get, per subject, to obtain those grades? You might be able to guess by looking at previous grade boundaries but no-one (not even the exam board) knows right now. They won't know until everyone has sat the exams and they've all been marked.

Not everyone has yet sat the LNAT. Your offer conditions point out that the deadline for sitting the LNAT in time for mid-August results is 30 June 2024. So until everyone has sat it, and they've been marked, and Glasgow know the distribution of people's scores, they can't decide what a "good enough" score should be to gain entry.

Suppose they set a threshold based upon their experience from previous years, and the test turns out to be much easier than usual, so too many people reach that threshold - too many people would be accepted onto the course.

That's why they can't tell you what that threshold is right now - because they don't know it themselves. They (and you) won't know until mid-August.

(Just a reminder - this is only how I think it works.)
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Mid August ??? thats crazyyy whats the point of making offers now if they can just take them away. So just to make sure I understand : I technically dont have an offer yet, they made me an offer on the condition that my LNAT meets "minimum threshold" but since they havent yet set that threshold, my offer isnt set in stone?
Original post by spam44
Mid August ??? thats crazyyy whats the point of making offers now if they can just take them away. So just to make sure I understand : I technically dont have an offer yet, they made me an offer on the condition that my LNAT meets "minimum threshold" but since they havent yet set that threshold, my offer isnt set in stone?

They find out your score within 24 hours so you’ll most likely hear back before you actually know yourself. frustrating but don’t worry, you’ll know ASAP
Original post by spam44

Given what @mccannr18 wrote above, I took another look at the LNAT results dates. We can see from this page on the LNAT web site that:

"LNAT results are emailed to candidates twice a year, with test dates determining the results date.
Candidates taking the LNAT on or before 26 January will receive their results in mid February.
Candidates taking the test after 26 January will receive their results in mid August."

Some unis require that candidates have take their LNAT by the 26 January deadline; Glasgow do not. So those candidates won't know their score until mid-August. However, @mccannr18 is right to point out (as confirmed by that same page) that, "...within 24 hours of finishing your LNAT, Pearson VUE will make your LNAT score and essay available for download by your chosen university or universities. They will see your score before you do."

So, as Glasgow require that you take the LNAT before 30 June, they will have all the results by 1 July, and so should be able to determine the threshold they'll use shorty after that. So about six weeks earlier than the "mid-August" I suggested above.

As for your "technically dont have an offer yet" comment. You do have an offer. That offer is conditional on A level (or similar) grades (which are based upon grade boundaries which you don't yet know) and their view of your LNAT result (which is based upon a threshold which you also don't yet know). If they'd said this instead, would you have felt better about the vagueness of the LNAT results? "Your offer is based upon you obtaining a Pass in the LNAT. The results required to obtain a Pass will be determined in early July." (Clearly there isn't a pass/fail concept, but what I've just written is effectively what they're saying. Is that so different from the way A level (or similar) grade boundaries work?
Reply 5
Ok thank you so much for your response it is much appreciated. Im just hoping that a 22 is enough, I jsut firmed Glasgow so I just have to hope for the best
If you search on here, I can't remember what it was now, Glasgow lnat 2023 maybe, this happened to a bunch of people last year. Some were given offers eventually (the LNAT condition disappeared) and some were automatically rejected on may deadline. To me it seems having an offer of "satisfactory lnat" when they know your scores and everyone else's is a bit like being on hold. You may get in and you may not. But that's just my take on it, read last year's thread and see what you think. Best of luck with it!
Reply 7
Original post by spam44
Ok thank you so much for your response it is much appreciated. Im just hoping that a 22 is enough, I jsut firmed Glasgow so I just have to hope for the best

Honestly, I'd say that you're in with a shout.

It's highly unlikely you're going to be given an offer then have it taken away. Some people have been insta rejected on the basis of their LNAT score (18 and under). So to set your mind at ease I'd say you've got it.

22 is definitely enough, 18 was the cut off from previous years and even if the cut off this year is 20 you've still passed that too, don't sweat it.
Reply 8
omg reading this is so a relief, if you dont mind answering how did you find out the cut off for this year ? thanksss
Reply 9
Original post by spam44
omg reading this is so a relief, if you dont mind answering how did you find out the cut off for this year ? thanksss

Hey I can't remember which thread it was but someone posted glasgow uni replying a year ago and they confirmed that the lnat cut off for back then was 18. This year I'm not sure but you'll be fine trust. As long as you have completed the other conditions.
Hi guys, just got an offer there! At 9:14, conditions are a B at advanced higher in English or Modern Studies and a B in any other subject 🫶
Original post by mccannr18
Hi guys, just got an offer there! At 9:14, conditions are a B at advanced higher in English or Modern Studies and a B in any other subject 🫶

For Scot’s or common?

what were ur grades? X
Original post by Hopefulug
For Scot’s or common?

Scot’s!
Original post by anonymous8876
what were ur grades? X

I got AAAAB at higher, predicted AAAA at advanced higher + higher this year, LMAT 27 and i had some relevant work experience x
I got AAAAB at higher, predicted AAAA at advanced higher + higher this year, LMAT 27 and i had some relevant work experience x

we’re you contextual? X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending