The Student Room Group

"A" Grade too easy to obtain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AlanAlty
I know, I was just saying as it wasn't obvious what the previous person was talking about. Weirdly I got 100% in Geography today- complete surprise

Congrats!
Original post by sertobe
Congrats!

I know, I was just saying as it wasn't obvious what the previous person was talking about. Weirdly I got 100% in Geography today- complete surprise

good **** bro. i got 100% in unit 5 biology today aswell. completely shocked as i knew i made mistakes.
Reply 23
Original post by IAmABaws
Maths, chem, bio, maths.

I am not boasting but there is honestly nothing special about an A anymore.

I know people have different standards etc, but the saying really is true ''you don't know what you have until you lose it'', so instead of being despicable of your results, try appreciating it instead. The 'A' was made for a reason, even if they did implement an 'A*'- as you said, you lost 20% so you wouldn't have reached that A*, so you would've been feeling crappy about that. So now that you've reached the highest grade possible at AS, be thankful for it. There's many people out there that have spent the whole of today crying, wishing they'd achieved what you had.
Original post by yorkshire.lad
good **** bro. i got 100% in unit 5 biology today aswell. completely shocked as i knew i made mistakes.

Oh good, mine was in the 70% exam so it means I can get away with a C in A2 and still get an A which is good :smile: Yeah I was thinking yesterday I was definitely going to get a B or something because I made a long list of mistakes, but sometimes things randomly work in your favour :smile: Nice man! I wish I could say the same about my biology exam haha
Reply 25
Lol, bragging at it's finest. "gratz" I guess. :rolleyes:
Original post by sertobe
No, I'm afraid you have to average 90% in A2 on top of an A overall for an A*

Yh I know that. What grades would you be happy with then
You mad? Met my medicine offer today, Going to med school in 3 weeks. Enjoy your "a's" you noob.

Well done! You must have got amazing grades! :smile:
Oh good, mine was in the 70% exam so it means I can get away with a C in A2 and still get an A which is good :smile: Yeah I was thinking yesterday I was definitely going to get a B or something because I made a long list of mistakes, but sometimes things randomly work in your favour :smile: Nice man! I wish I could say the same about my biology exam haha

Yeah its just luck mate! Speaking from experience definitely try as HARD as you can in AS. It gives you a HUGE safety cushion for A2 year. I worked out this year I only needed a D to get an A overall in A2 chemistry, but luckily got a B in the final exam haha.
Original post by turnip storm
Well done! You must have got amazing grades! :smile:

thank you! in terms of medicine it was pretty standard. AAA in biology chemistry and physics :biggrin:
Yeah its just luck mate! Speaking from experience definitely try as HARD as you can in AS. It gives you a HUGE safety cushion for A2 year. I worked out this year I only needed a D to get an A overall in A2 chemistry, but luckily got a B in the final exam haha.

Yeah, I have a safety cushion for both english and geography. But I'm literally 1 ums in a B in biology... ****
Yeah, I have a safety cushion for both english and geography. But I'm literally 1 ums in a B in biology... ****

I was gonna say resit this January but thanks to dickhead gove, that wont be much of an option :/
I was gonna say resit this January but thanks to dickhead gove, that wont be much of an option :/

I know, it's ****. I'm gonna retake it in June anyway, pretty sure I know the content, just probably didn't apply it well haha
I know, it's ****. I'm gonna retake it in June anyway, pretty sure I know the content, just probably didn't apply it well haha

Yeah, sounds like the best idea, what are you hoping to do at university?
Reply 34
I definitely agree with the idea that an A* (90%) grade should be introduced to AS level.
Yeah, sounds like the best idea, what are you hoping to do at university?

Geography, just 'cause I might be predicted an A* where as the others are probably just B's. Yourself? :smile:
Geography, just 'cause I might be predicted an A* where as the others are probably just B's. Yourself? :smile:

i have an offer to study medicine at manchester and its just gone unconditional today, so I'm off there in around 3 weeks :biggrin:
i have an offer to study medicine at manchester and its just gone unconditional today, so I'm off there in around 3 weeks :biggrin:

Sounds great!:biggrin: I know people that would die to be in your position right now! Do you mind if I ask what you got at AS? I'm guessing AAAB or above?
Reply 38
Hah, you think you're smart because you've just done AS?

Two of my friends got AAAA at AS, one turned out with ACCC and the other with AABB, they both worked tremendously hard, A2 is different.
I agree to some extent, for example, in Geography. You need 75/120 to get an A. 45 Marks can be lost, and you still receive an A! However, I guess that makes sense since Geography is an essay based subject.

To be honest, to get my AS-level grades, I needed to work pretty damn hard, especially in Geography. So, I think that it really does depend on the subject. The exams are made to challenge you, but are also 'do-able'. So, maybe you have just mastered A-level exams.

Quick Reply

Latest