The Student Room Group

Another should I get a remark thread?

I was personally overall happy with my results except for one. In economics F582 I was awarded a B which made me just scrape an A.

This may seem like ''omg first world problems'' but thanks to this low A my Cambridge average has being dragged below 90, (89 to be exact). I want to apply for maths btw.

So here is what I got
Unit 1 - 84
Unit 2 - 78

overall 162/200

I can see the immediate risk of losing 2 marks in the remark and therefore losing my A, what should I do? I would rather apply to camb with a 90+ avg rather than sub 90

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
I was personally overall happy with my results except for one. In economics F582 I was awarded a B which made me just scrape an A.

This may seem like ''omg first world problems'' but thanks to this low A my Cambridge average has being dragged below 90, (89 to be exact). I want to apply for maths btw.

So here is what I got
Unit 1 - 84
Unit 2 - 78

overall 162/200

I can see the immediate risk of losing 2 marks in the remark and therefore losing my A, what should I do? I would rather apply to camb with a 90+ avg rather than sub 90

It's not worth the risk of losing your A.
Reply 2
Original post by Vikki1805
It's not worth the risk of losing your A.

I know it isn't but I definitely thought I deserved more than a B for that paper, its the only score other than S1 that stands out and even so S1 I flopped anyway, this one was quite unexpected. I wish they treated the science avg like the arts one and used my history grade rather than econ :<
I know it isn't but I definitely thought I deserved more than a B for that paper, its the only score other than S1 that stands out and even so S1 I flopped anyway, this one was quite unexpected. I wish they treated the science avg like the arts one and used my history grade rather than econ :<

It's really unfortunate as you were so close to the mark, but for that reason it means if you have a remark it could easily swing either way.

You would be absolutely gutted if you ended up with a B.
Reply 4

request a copy of your paper and get some advice from a teacher as to if it deserves a higher mark, there will still be time to request a remark
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
request a copy of your paper and get some advice from a teacher as to if it deserves a higher mark, there will still be time to request a remark

When is the deadline and will i get it back before October 15th you reckon?
Reply 6

So here is what I got
Unit 1 - 84
Unit 2 - 78

overall 162/200

This, but even then unless you have an officical mark scheme (which I suspect you won't) I still wouldn't do it. Especially for a subject like economics which is so down to the marker's opinion as well as making specific points that are in the markscheme, all it takes is for you to get a harsh examiner and you lose your A. Harsh but true unfortunately..
It's really unfortunate as you were so close to the mark, but for that reason it means if you have a remark it could easily swing either way.

You would be absolutely gutted if you ended up with a B.

holy ****ing avi
Original post by ravishingrick69
holy ****ing avi

What?
What?

sloots gon sloot
Reply 10
Original post by Stevo F
This, but even then unless you have an officical mark scheme (which I suspect you won't) I still wouldn't do it. Especially for a subject like economics which is so down to the marker's opinion as well as making specific points that are in the markscheme, all it takes is for you to get a harsh examiner and you lose your A. Harsh but true unfortunately..

When are the official mark schemes issued? I would like to resolve this asap before any deadlines that prevent me from doing so. yeah I really hate that as well, that happened with my history in Jan but not this time it seems.

OCR btw
Reply 11
When are the official mark schemes issued? I would like to resolve this asap before any deadlines that prevent me from doing so. yeah I really hate that as well, that happened with my history in Jan but not this time it seems.

OCR btw

They won't officially release them for like a year or so...

I think the issue here is whether you're taking economics for A2, if not then just leave it as it is and keep the A but if you're continuing it I guess it's not so bad if your mark does go down because you can still get your overall A at A2 :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Stevo F
They won't officially release them for like a year or so...

I think the issue here is whether you're taking economics for A2, if not then just leave it as it is and keep the A but if you're continuing it I guess it's not so bad if your mark does go down because you can still get your overall A at A2 :smile:

Damn they are lazy, I swear the jan ones came out like a week after jan results...

I'm taking econ to A2 but if Cambridge see a B then other unis also see a B and maybe that could be worse.
Reply 13
When is the deadline and will i get it back before October 15th you reckon?

23 Aug is deadline to request a copy of your paper if you want to be sure to get it in time to still request a remark. If you then request a remark it should be back in a few days but could be a long a 3-4 weeks from request.

Mark schemes are already available to your teacher. Although they are not as black and white as a maths mark scheme, a good/experienced teacher should be able to judge whether you have been fairly marked.
Original post by ravishingrick69
sloots gon sloot

I'm gonna assume you didn't get an A? :erm:

OCR btw

You can usually find the official mark schemes hiding somewhere online! You usually can find them online a couple of days after the exam - at least we always could, from my sixth form!
Just dig around on the internet and you'll find the official thing!
Reply 16
23 Aug is deadline to request a copy of your paper if you want to be sure to get it in time to still request a remark. If you then request a remark it should be back in a few days but could be a long a 3-4 weeks from request.

Mark schemes are already available to your teacher. Although they are not as black and white as a maths mark scheme, a good/experienced teacher should be able to judge whether you have been fairly marked.

Ah yes that's why he had it immediately, I did request just incase for my paper back over email last evening. So hopefully my econ teacher reacts to that. Last time he said its not worth it I took a risk and it went up :tongue: I don't know but I think I will consider my options after looking at the photocopy.

Thanks for the useful info
Reply 17

Do you want to get the paper back and then resit next time?
Reply 18
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Do you want to get the paper back and then resit next time?

I only really care about the remark for the Cambridge avg so a resit isn't really necessary. I would like the paper back to see if its worth a remark
Reply 19
I am really debating whether on getting my sociology paper remarked. I got into uni but I was only 1 raw mark/ 2 ums away from an A overally. I got 98 ums marks in the exam but needed 100 ums marks. Is it worth it? and what are the chances of going up by one mark?

Quick Reply

Latest